Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - What does April have in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A possible 'short scorch' around next Friday? image.thumb.png.ea4feda7a343222b4053fdf4dcd10d59.png:oldgood:

• Like 8

Posted

If the Blue Meanies do stay away, until May 1st, the last fortnight of April will be a thing of beauty!:oldgood:

image.thumb.png.6931bbadfabdc0e96a10cc1c6a13d9b9.pngimage.thumb.png.9f8c9df052b77235d0959d2a69a3e5aa.png 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean looks great for easter (very warm and sunny) and i'm getting the impression, as others have also commented on that the warmth could persist through much of next week too, especially further east..maybe with increasing humidity and a chance of thundery showers and very warm spells of sunshine..quite a continental feel next week if things work out.

21_60_500mb.png

21_84_500mb.png

21_108_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

And then, along comes the FV3 to play its joker: crud by around T+180:

image.thumb.png.5e023dd2350bd5702ee4602295c946c3.png image.thumb.png.fe792581e77b47efba711e4a4bacac43.png

And, unfortunately, the GEFS 06Z ensembles lends credence to the FV3's take:

image.thumb.png.ea82ab0f23e33f8345d868332936e62c.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
10 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

If the Blue Meanies do stay away, until May 1st, the last fortnight of April will be a thing of beauty!:oldgood:

image.thumb.png.6931bbadfabdc0e96a10cc1c6a13d9b9.pngimage.thumb.png.9f8c9df052b77235d0959d2a69a3e5aa.png 

Certainly!

Don’t mind the Blue Meanies carrying out their invasion over us in Winter and early Spring, but it’s nice seeing the Yellow and Orange Friendlies fighting the Meanies away from the UK! 

And ar no! It looks like the Green Grinchies are trying to take over on that FV3 run! 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Well what a lovely surprise in the models today with less being made of next weeks trough and the warmth lasting right out to the end of the 6z run with low 20c all the way. If gfs 6z came off I reckon yet another barmy 27 or 28c could be achieved in April.  I've noticed an ongoing trend so far this year that any wet stormy spell keeps getting downgraded resulting in just a day or so of light drizzle.. Wonder if this is just setting the pattern and aligning everything ready for another balmy summer?

Edited by 38.5*C
  • Like 4

Posted

There have been so many arctic shots modelled on the GEFS / GFS so far this spring that I lost count ages ago and not one has ever come close to verifying!..pfft..give me P20 instead!!

11_312_850tmp.png

20_348_850tmp.png

20_348_2mtmpmax.png

20_348_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Wow, wow and a big wow, the 6z keeps the fine warm Conditions going beyond even 10 days..... Just imagine this type of set up continuing till September!!! Parched Gardens will be all the fashion.. 

Coming soon to a place near you!!!! 

gfs-1-264.png

gfs-1-288.png

gfs-1-300.png

gfs-0-240.png

giphy.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 7

Posted

6z Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

6z Matt

Cheers Karl, have corrected it, was gerrin overly excited.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Can any more experienced interpreters of model outputs explain why the signal for rain next week has disappeared within 12 hours?  Is it just a matter of the models over-reacting to a change in the global wind distribution, and they've now corrected it?  I'm getting very concerned that we'll be on standpipes and getting ready to evacuate from wildfires here in Norfolk if it stays dry from here right through the summer.  If nothing else, gardening will be nearly impossible and the cost of food in the shops will increase dramatically. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Wow, wow and a big wow, the 6z keeps the fine warm Conditions going beyond even 10 days..... Just imagine this type of set up continuing till September!!! Parched Gardens will be all the fashion.. 

Wouldn’t be surprised Matt.  The ground is already cracking where I live due to the dry conditions.  If this continues and we get a classic hot pattern set up shop during mid-summer, then heat records are likely to be smashed IMO.

• Like 1

Posted

It's been mentioned before no doubt but the reason 1976 got so hot and dry was the dry winter and year before.
In 2003 Europe had extreme heat at least in part due to dry ground no longer soothing extremes as water changed state on a daily basis.
I'd not worry too much at this stage as dry spells in spring are common, and in most years there's a sudden switch even if we have to wait until European monsoon in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Don said:

Wouldn’t be surprised Matt.  The ground is already cracking where I live due to the dry conditions.  If this continues and we get a classic hot pattern set up shop during mid-summer, then heat records are likely to be smashed IMO.

Given how awful it was overnight here last year (30C overnight indoors despite having windows open until late), I'm genuinely worried as to how bad it could get here if we see over 40C.

• Like 1

Posted

Shirley the Gfs can't be serious about these cloud amounts for Good Friday!!..  I've seen forecasts showing unbroken sunshine for friday.

12_51_ukcloud.png

• Like 3

Posted

A well-timed four-day sunny/warm spell::oldgood:

image.thumb.png.057ea5828d06054850936adcc3137032.pngimage.thumb.png.180b7eddc310fd35d5e606c6ee0bcda8.png

• Like 3

Posted

The Gfs 12z operational appears to be following the incredible 6z so far in keeping it warm well into next week.

12_168_ukthickness850.png

12_174_uk2mtmp.png

12_174_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Gfs 12z operational appears to be following the incredible 6z so far in keeping it warm well into next week.

Aye normal April setup, seems to undercut keeping the E'ly winds, thought the earlier models were too progressive with the Atlantic, some looked very January like

gfs-0-144.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Can any more experienced interpreters of model outputs explain why the signal for rain next week has disappeared within 12 hours?  Is it just a matter of the models over-reacting to a change in the global wind distribution, and they've now corrected it?  I'm getting very concerned that we'll be on standpipes and getting ready to evacuate from wildfires here in Norfolk if it stays dry from here right through the summer.  If nothing else, gardening will be nearly impossible and the cost of food in the shops will increase dramatically. 

Personally Chris, I think sometimes the models do backtrack at short notice. Let's face it, we see these glorious winter charts backtrack constantly to be downgraded.... I think high pressure will be proving stubborn to shift... Whether it be a euro slug type high pressure or heights remaining over scandy! Once these scenarios begin to take place it can become very difficult to break the pattern down. I am also of the belief that low solar minimum is also playing quite a large effect on the jet stream, and coupled with the fact its at one of its weakest points right now.. Perhaps its being multiplied. I understand your concerns regarding drought, but at this stage I wouldn't get overly concerned.... We all know how suddenly a pattern can quickly change! If we have a repeat of last year, I will be shocked, but you just can't rule it out with the current amount of warming going on around the planet.... Definitely worth keeping in tune to the Netweather forum, has we have some excellent climate and meteorological analizers.

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, Mattwolves said:

Personally Chris, I think sometimes the models do backtrack at short notice. Let's face it, we see this glorious winter charts backtrack constantly to be downgraded.... I think high pressure will be proving stubborn to shift... Whether it be a euro slug type high pressure or heights remaining over scandy! Once these scenarios begin to take place it can become very difficult to break the pattern down. I am also of the belief that low solar minimum is also playing quite a large effect on the jet stream, and coupled with the fact its at one of its weakest points right now.. Perhaps its being multiplied. I understand your concerns regarding drought, but at this stage I wouldn't get overly concerned.... We all know how suddenly a pattern can quickly change! If we have a repeat of last year, I will be shocked, but you just can't rule it out with the current amount of warming going on around the planet.... Definitely worth keeping in tune to the Netweather forum, has we have some excellent climate and meteorological analizers.

I'm inclined to agree, but I have to admit I'm surprised that, at this time of the year, the models seem to have switched almost 180 degrees over around 12 hours at around t+142.  Cheers for your comment, though.

• Like 1

Posted

Warmth still going strong by mid-week:

image.thumb.png.f1dfc3433a11a6ff55b47574770ec4b9.png image.thumb.png.6acae577524d3c71160013cfcfa9bb6a.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Shirley the Gfs can't be serious about these cloud amounts for Good Friday!!..  I've seen forecasts showing unbroken sunshine for friday.

12_51_ukcloud.png

Yeh, seems a bit far fetched Karl... I'm seeing largely unbroken sunshine for many... That chart looks like North Sea cloud as spilled westwards and refused to break up... I think these cloud amounts are over the top! And Im sure you agree.

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted

Incredible, maybe the 6z wasn't a fluke, the 12z looks warm and probably increasingly humid next week with continental air and a risk of thunderstorms between the very warm sunshine..warmest further east and south / southeast.

12_168_ukthickness850.png

12_171_ukcape.png

12_171_precipratec.png

12_174_mslp850 (1).png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5