Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - What does April have in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

A step closer when looking at the det. run middle-ground this morning; trough stalling and sliding a little west of the UK. Just needs another thousand miles adjustment west or southwest - something nearer what the 18z GFS showed (a strong match for that run is probably a bit on the optimistic side, sadly).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

If you like it warm you will love the Ecm 00z, especially further s / e.. big change from the recent chill!..happy easter from the ecm!

72_mslp850.png

72_thickuk.png

72_mslp500.png

96_mslp850.png

96_thickuk.png

96_mslp500.png

120_mslp850.png

120_thickuk.png

120_mslp500.png

144_mslp850.png

144_thickuk.png

168_mslp850.png

168_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

192_thickuk.png

216_mslp850.png

216_thickuk.png

• Like 8

Posted

Lovely Ecm 00z ensemble mean later this week (easter)..increasingly warm and sunny with temperatures into the low 20's celsius, the warmest spots in the s / se could hit 24/25c at the weekend..I won't go any further than that, just enjoy an early taste of summer..in april!

EDM1-72.GIF

EDM1-96.GIF

EDM0-96.GIF

EDM1-120.GIF

EDM0-120.GIF

• Like 6

Posted

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational for easter, I think most would be happy with these temperatures compared to recently, Easter could easily have been a damp cool squib but instead most of it is high pressure, sunshine and unseasonable warmth.

06_84_uk2mtmp.png

06_84_precipratec.png

06_84_mslp500.png

06_108_uk2mtmp.png

06_108_precipratec.png

06_108_mslp500.png

06_132_uk2mtmp.png

06_132_precipratec.png

06_132_mslp850.png

06_156_uk2mtmp.png

06_156_precipratec.png

06_156_mslp850.png

• Like 6

Posted

Just before the 12z runs I really liked how the 6z operational trended towards the end of april into the start of may..really pleasant / anticyclonic.

06_300_mslp500.png

06_324_mslp500.png

06_348_mslp500.png

06_348_uk2mtmp.png

06_372_mslp500.png

06_372_uk2mtmp.png

06_384_mslp500.png

• Like 5

Posted

The ukmo 12h shows a change to more unsettled at T+144 hours, slightly sooner for the NW but really there's a good deal of summery weather to enjoy before then..bearing in mind that the start of the meteorological summer is still six weeks away..some of us are going to experience mid 20's celsius during the Easter weekend and widely low 20's c..eggsellent for easter and April generally!

UW72-21.gif

UW72-7.gif

UW96-21.gif

UW96-7.gif

UW120-21.gif

UW120-7.gif

UW144-21.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sunday looks like a stonker, to me:image.thumb.png.f4672b93aff44af36175bca2a4b092b3.png                                                                                                          image.thumb.png.2865084bd60f258eb2cd06a72246ec70.png

• Like 6

Posted

The Gfs 12z operational shows potential for 23 / 24c on sunday further s / se..can't rule out a 25c in places! Sunday becomes more unsettled across the far NW / N..fine and very warm elsewhere and then Easter Monday sees a breakdown as a band of rain spreads slowly E / SE and heavy / thundery showers break out ahead of it on what would be a warm humid day further s / e / se..lovely weather before then with high pressure and temps on Fri / Sat into the low 20's celsius..really very summery and the sun is now as strong as it is in early / mid august.

12_123_uk2mtmp.png

12_123_ukthickness850.png

12_123_precipratec.png

12_147_uk2mtmp.png

12_147_ukthickness850.png

12_147_ukcape.png

12_147_precipratec.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Wednesday might even provide what plant-life is screaming for -- torrential rain showers::yahoo:

image.thumb.png.54097696330aee42d09333dbdcd70fb3.pngimage.thumb.png.1d4582ffc0cd0acc92de119dbb147ef1.png 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Wednesday might even provide what plant-life is screaming for -- torrential rain showers::yahoo:

image.thumb.png.54097696330aee42d09333dbdcd70fb3.pngimage.thumb.png.1d4582ffc0cd0acc92de119dbb147ef1.png 

We can pray for that to be true!

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at the GEFS 12z there's a chance we could again be into some very warm continental air later next week.

21_222_850tmp.png

9_222_850tmp.png

9_222_2mtmpmax.png

12_222_850tmp.png

12_222_2mtmpmax.png

• Like 5

Posted
14 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

A real taste of summer for all of us later this week and perhaps into the start of next week further s / se...Good Friday could be unbroken sunshine across the board and for many, Saturday too. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
13 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

On to the weather, things looking good, short term, a bit meh, mid term... Perhaps improving again long term! It's shaping up to be a decent summer I think.... I say decent because I don't think it will replicate 2018 or say 1976!! Something that comes to mind also... Both those summers had quite significant cold spells during the winter, and was then followed by the heatwaves.... And we had a distinct lack of any real cold spell this time.... Maybe coincidence... Maybe not!! But its a possibility! And I noticed how a fair few of the hot summers were spaced apart.... Namely.. 95....97....2001....2003......2006 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 3

Posted

FV3 nae looking too bad at T+192: thundery rain anyone?:yahoo:

image.thumb.png.223b553d3f57d86f43f72f642e55738c.pngimage.thumb.png.efad05072b5777a95c564495575d3691.png 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

That trough looks worrying. The kind of set up that led to the poorest cyclonic Atlantics of our weather lately eg May to August 2012, June 2016. I guess there is some real punishment to pay for our recent weather lately and very soon this dry spell will end.  Hopefully (and more likely) is that trough will detach itself and slide down across Western Europe and down into North Africa and any unsettled spell will not last long.            

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
20 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

That trough looks worrying. The kind of set up that led to the poorest cyclonic Atlantics of our weather lately eg May to August 2012, June 2016. I guess there is some real punishment to pay for our recent weather lately and very soon this dry spell will end.  Hopefully (and more likely) is that trough will detach itself and slide down across Western Europe and down into North Africa and any unsettled spell will not last long.            

Fortunately, you can't really draw any conclusions from a trough that is featuring 8 days out has regards to it being a potential ruiner of the summer! For me the atlantic is going to be remaining in a relatively slumber mode! Perhaps low solar minimum having an affect! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Only skim read the thread over the last couple of days as the immediate evolution is clear, and my interest is generally where the uncertainty lies.  Longer term ECM 12z looks a plausible evolution to me.  Here out to T240:

anim_kjg8.gif

i.e. brief unsettled blip followed by a resurgence of high pressure.  If the unsettled blip is as a result of lower AAM, then that is soon rectified according to CFS with increasing AAM from that timeframe.  

image.thumb.jpg.2e9f52222e3ef864f66dfbd13e213a9e.jpg

And the slower evolution through phase 6 this time could indicate a more prolonged warm settled spell than the upcoming one, but still with limited lifetime.

Further point to note, the final warming in the strat looks to be quite a dramatic capitulation, with GFS forecast straight through zero and into summer easterlies, so there's that to factor in too.

image.thumb.jpg.27b7bd82ba4b0bd1f0c69fba2587cc01.jpg

My best guess, spells of warm settled weather interspersed by unsettled spells, with the settled spells winning out and lasting longer through May.  Just ideas though...some uncertainty with all of this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
45 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Fortunately, you can't really draw any conclusions from a trough that is featuring 8 days out has regards to it being a potential ruiner of the summer! For me the atlantic is going to be remaining in a relatively slumber mode! Perhaps low solar minimum having an affect! 

I agree Matt, there is no way anyone who wants a decent summer should be worried about that trough, it may get watered down (so to speak) but even if not as per above post, high pressure should bounce back afterwards. As per @Frosty. post re GEFS 12z.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
18 hours ago, syed2878 said:

so what has happened to all the snow you been forecasting for April I just thought I’d ask

Evening! Yes there was a Wintry outbreak across some parts of the Uk during April 4th, West Midlands and Wales got a Significant Covering....and it made news headlines!  Anyway for the outlook, Lots of Sahara dust here in todays front.... Warming up for a day or two but a short lived warm spell , by Sunday/Monday the Atlantic creeps in, I say creep because the Blocking is still in place to our northeast... But the outlook for next week looks Yuk! Wet, cold and windy depending where you are.  Perhaps ,  Some Thunderstorms  as the weather next week breaks down...

EVESHAM.png

EVESHAMX.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 12/04/2019 at 20:48, Summerstorm said:

I can't view the charts for some reason from this time last year, but the weather looks like doing exactly what it did last year to the very day! I remember the 17th April 2018 marked a change in fortune, it was a warm sunny day, and the heat then built, peaking on Saturday 21st April, I think the first 25 degree temp of the year was hit, and for many low-mid 20s were recorded, thereafter the weather became cooler and changeable, quite uncanny how we are about to endure exact same conditions.. spooky..

A very decent start to the easter period for everyone, but fortunes change come Sunday with the NW and west coming under the influence of the atlantic, central and eastern and southern parts hold onto decent weather, before everywhere sees cooler changeable conditions by Monday. 

Next week - uncertain, much will depend on how far east the trough gets, there are signs it may disrupt over the UK with heights quickly building behind it, conversely we may see it linger in situ for a few days, fizzling out with either then a weak ridge behind before it moves in again from the NW or it builds more strongly. At any other time of year, the form horse might be for a cleaner build of heights to invade, however, the effects of the warming strat combined with the weakening of the PV, means we are most prone to fragments of the PV spinning off further trough activity from the NW aided by retraction of the azores/bermuda high, and with heights to the NE there is only one place for it to go and that is through the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Evening! Yes there was a Wintry outbreak across some parts of the Uk during April 4th, West Midlands and Wales got a Significant Covering....and it made news headlines!  Anyway for the outlook, Lots of Sahara dust here in todays front.... Warming up for a day or two but a short lived warm spell , by Sunday/Monday the Atlantic creeps in, I say creep because the Blocking is still in place to our northeast... But the outlook for next week looks Yuk! Wet, cold and windy depending where you are.  Perhaps ,  Some Thunderstorms  as the weather next week breaks down...

EVESHAM.png

EVESHAMX.png

As usual this location didn't see a flake on April 4th, while other areas got loads

• Like 1

Posted

I don't remember a wintry outbreak..I must have been asleep for the last week!

Anyway, lovely warmth and sunshine incoming and then next week looks cyclonic with sunshine and heavy showers with a risk of thunder and I noticed some decent uppers next week on the Ecm 12z so it could be warm in the sunshine and possibly feel a bit humid. Longer term the GEFS 12z hints at some very warm continental potential at the end of april and into early may.

T+240 Ecm 12z not bad either, high pressure to the west and east putting the squeeze on the UK trough as it drifts away to the south so a filling departing trough and high pressure taking control again beyond day 10 looks the most likely outcome based on this chart.

240_mslp500 (1).png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7