Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - What does April have in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

With Easter on the horizon, tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean really compliments the eggsellent operational, quite a warm up is expected with increasing amounts of sunshine later next week which includes the long easter weekend. It looks largely settled with high pressure / strong ridging generally controlling our weather apart from a little rain in parts of the west early next week and temperatures could be close to the low 20's celsius next weekend, at least across southern uk.

EDM1-120.GIF

EDM0-120.GIF

EDM1-144.GIF

EDM0-144.GIF

EDM1-168.GIF

EDM0-168.GIF

EDM1-192.GIF

EDM0-192.GIF

EDM1-216.GIF

EDM0-216.GIF

EDM0-240.GIF

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not a bad end to the GFS op, this morning; even some nice T850s, by the Arctic Circle:

image.thumb.png.fea6fb7d4d56f315dc0b7d432d3dc0fb.pngimage.thumb.png.ba2e25dc2442df2d6f753d2337ff667f.png 

And the FV3 is nae bad either: 

image.thumb.png.3ddf1108a63af2f8f3f2b03e11a2e362.pngimage.thumb.png.0b9463e12ab817c02b83c36518bfdb8a.png 

Lastly, the ensemble: image.thumb.png.480dce92eb6fba013d1b5a6f1ceceb0c.png :oldgood:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I cannot post the chart on my phone however the pressure build we have seen and will see is reasonably well supported for another week or so as a result of a Nino standing wave which setup near the dateline until recently. 

It did give way which allowing for a lag should allow the westerlies to return late in the month and through early May but it has been a repeating pattern and so i would expect another wave to set up which allowing for lag is probably going to produce a pretty settled (so likely warm) mid to late May period.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Things still look set for a stonking bank holiday::yahoo:

image.thumb.png.f42f34cdf3f70051b81d6563a75bc4a7.pngimage.thumb.png.672c46a8845d941d01cc9098e2c050a8.png  :oldgood:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Bank Holiday stunner alert coming up folks..... Make sure your sun smart!

ECM1-168.gif

ECM0-168.gif

giphy-1.gif

• Like 7

Posted

And we should be still basking on Tuesday:

image.thumb.png.e05bdfb9ac849f99966dad7d055d77dc.pngimage.thumb.png.69f37204aa292acfb4964e267a728926.png 

But, as a caveat, who recalls May 1980 -- when things didn't evolve into the marvellous summer so many were predicting?

image.thumb.png.f7aa443ebfe622f23856f358daac30fa.pngimage.thumb.png.a57e5af7f70c126bf8cddcebee0f0f0d.png 

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted

Just had a peek at the GEFS / ECM mean and it's clear there is some fantastic weather on the way, especially by the time Easter arrives, warm with plenty of sunshine.

• Like 4

Posted

Good to see that there's still little sign of any Arctic rubbish::oldgood:

image.thumb.png.3bf65d696b3afb54863078e84b123ebb.pngimage.thumb.png.209d94b42a0af06422989a2c00c73c60.png 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Looks like we have some fine Easter weather on the way with some warm SE winds . According to the 6z I'd go for the following

Friday - Maximums of 14C-19C, high cloud in the west with the chance of an odd shower on higher ground. Warmest in the South, West and Scottish highlands

image.thumb.png.64ae706ad84bde89d734fb0297185683.png

Saturday -  Maximums of 15C-22C, warmest in the aforementioned areas, coolest in the east. Cloud cover minimal away from the Scottish border. Chance of a sharp shower over the far SW

image.thumb.png.cd86a6c6c4a8165f8b471a49fbac9143.png

Sunday - Maximums 16-22C, warmest in the south and scottish highlands. Little cloud although a chance of light showers over Welsh hills

image.thumb.png.d2f425e0a892eb91cac8fbe162d7712e.png

Monday - Maximums 17-22C, probably warmest around Cambridge or the Wash. The odd shower may pop up over parts of Central England

image.thumb.png.2348872c892826ac6b876ef76555ea6d.png

So a fantastic Easter could be in store and pretty warm too! Though the east may be a bit cooler...

So much for the coldest April on record!! 

• Like 7

Posted

Could we be on the cusp of something special -- again?

image.thumb.png.894863e4d83eae644922e4dc35f6c175.pngimage.thumb.png.bbed6302ff12b20ea27d34063415fd8b.png  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

According to some of those charts, the next few weeks could feel more like Bake-pril! ☀️ (sorry I couldn’t resist lol)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 6

Posted

According to the GEFS 6z mean it's going to be a Good Friday..Saturday..Sunday..Monday

21_132_500mb.png

21_156_500mb.png

21_180_500mb.png

21_204_500mb.png

21_204_850tmp.png

21_204_2mtmpmax.png

21_228_850tmp.png

• Like 4

Posted

Longer term here's a few more summery charts in late April!!

8_348_850tmp.png

8_348_2mtmpmax.png

18_348_850tmp.png

18_348_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Even the CFS wants to get in on the action, a definite warming trend, could we be looking at the 2nd fine warm Bank Holiday April on the bounce..... 

cfs-0-204.png

cfs-2-204.png

tenor-1.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Is my 10.5C (I think) prediction for the April CET not out of the question then?    I can dream!  In the meantime just look at how we will see warm air being pumped into the Arctic.  ecm500 (1).webp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
17 hours ago, Singularity said:

Looks like as the final warming-aided HLB spell finally subsides we see a ‘Nino switch’ flipped with a typical struggling Atlantic trough and Scandinavian high combination.

Thats the usual predominant pattern with a weak Nino and low solar activity in Apr-July. Settled increasingly warm/hot spells punctuated by destabilisations by shallow troughs which tend to provide some thundery entertainment.

Remains to be seen what complications we see from, for example, the cold anomalies in the SSTs just S of Greenland (may keep the jet stronger  and HP further S) and the low Arctic sea ice (may enable stronger Scandinavian highs than usual even for the Nino base state, along with more Azores High interplay - if the next few months turn out unusually dry it’ll most likely be the the low Arctic sea ice responsible).

Very interesting, I always enjoy reading your posts, and I agree with almost all of this.

It is the first sentence highlighted in bold that I would like some clarification on, because as far as I an see, the final warming hasn't happened yet!  Zonal winds chart shows we're still with winds strong beyond 1 standard deviation in the stratosphere, although with a strong GFS forecast for them to tank through zero in the next few days.

image.thumb.jpg.e6274c685f9bc9e0563fd35a2fcef274.jpg

So it isn't clear to me how this aids the HLB we've seen the last two weeks or so.  Are they both a result of a third process?  Personally, I have no explanation for why the HLB has materialised now, to be honest.  Other than that it often does at this time of year, which is rather unsatisfactory.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I cannot post the chart on my phone however the pressure build we have seen and will see is reasonably well supported for another week or so as a result of a Nino standing wave which setup near the dateline until recently. 

It did give way which allowing for a lag should allow the westerlies to return late in the month and through early May but it has been a repeating pattern and so i would expect another wave to set up which allowing for lag is probably going to produce a pretty settled (so likely warm) mid to late May period.

Although it might not be popular for many here, those of us in the east could do with a wet week or so around the end of the month in order to encourage crop/pasture growth and improve river levels.  I for one would be grateful if you could continue to inform us as to whether the expected loss of amplitude of the standing wave remains in the outputs over the next week or so, please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
21 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Very interesting, I always enjoy reading your posts, and I agree with almost all of this.

It is the first sentence highlighted in bold that I would like some clarification on, because as far as I an see, the final warming hasn't happened yet!  Zonal winds chart shows we're still with winds strong beyond 1 standard deviation in the stratosphere, although with a strong GFS forecast for them to tank through zero in the next few days.

image.thumb.jpg.e6274c685f9bc9e0563fd35a2fcef274.jpg

So it isn't clear to me how this aids the HLB we've seen the last two weeks or so.  Are they both a result of a third process?  Personally, I have no explanation for why the HLB has materialised now, to be honest.  Other than that it often does at this time of year, which is rather unsatisfactory.

Hi Mike,

Good question there. I see the cause for confusion here; what I called the final warming is actually more of a tropospheric-driven lower-mid-stratospheric warming that looks to either set in motion or coincide with the beginning of the final warming in the coming week.

npst30.png

A decent dual-anticyclone pattern (wave-2) here - this being what we didn't have enough off back in late Dec and early Jan to produce a pure split-vortex type SSW rather than the messy hybrid that didn't work out well for E&W cold and snow enthusiasts (Scotland's seemed pretty snowy, though perhaps not by their own standards?).

npst30.png npst30.png

Goodbye and good riddance, Mr. Vortex!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

A very interesting article from judah Cohen regarding the current situation at..Arctic oscillation https://www.aer.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Friday still looking good: image.thumb.png.f4f5c19e8e7c540ad2ec0e61079512e8.pngimage.thumb.png.3af18d2cd3fc39596a05cb58c5f88fa8.png:oldgood:

good if you like sea fret, looks a classic setup where mist lasts post 2pm

but sunny from start to finish for most areas