Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic Sea Ice - The Melting Season 2019

Singularity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

Posted
19 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

That’s what you call a landslide (or an ice slide)!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

It appears the 2019 minimum was 4 days ago now the last 3 consecutive have been increases (44k yesterday )

We finish in Second place..

Another very severe melt season and not long until we have another death spiral taking us below 2012 I'm sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It depends on what dataset you're using, as NSIDC still has the 2019 sea ice extent above 4 million square km:

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

NSIDC also has 2019's sea ice minimum as the second lowest, though only very marginally ahead of 2007 and 2016.

My initial thoughts were that, yes, it was surprising that August ended up as the Arctic's warmest August on record at 925hPa, but when I think deeper about it, it's not really that surprising.  Temperatures over the main ice pack were often close to the long-term average, especially late in the month, which restricted the decline of the sea ice extent, but the 850hPa temperatures over the Eurasian side of the Arctic - where all of the sea ice melted out by midmonth - were often exceptionally high.  Barring favourable synoptics there's a good chance that the refreeze north of the Eurasian continental mass will be unusually slow this year.

Posted
Just now, 4wd said:

She's supposed to be 16, no real scientists agree with her prophesies of imminent doom, since you brought them up.
But she has the most fantastic scowl. I used to like Pippi Longstocking, who she is modelled on.

My bad, 16 it is then.

I dunno, I just can't bring myself to hate her.

Anyway, back to sea ice eh?

Posted

• Like 1

Posted

Posted

Closing this as we're now past the sea ice minimum. Please continue in the new thread.

• Like 1