Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
4wd

Gallery colours here

Posted (edited)

This image looks much less saturated than on Flickr, or is it just my browser or PC settings, worrying!
Colours are potential minefield online.

worked through in sRGB (test)
spacer.png

Edited by 4wd

Thanks, this is interesting. Will look into what may be the cause.

Looking at this, we currently use GD to process the images (it compresses them slightly, creates thumbnails, resizes etc) and reading up, it's not great at keeping colour profiles etc. We should be able to switch to imagemagick which does a better job by the sounds of it. I'll let you know when we've done it, and perhaps you can test again?

It seems to be recommended to export in sRGB for the web anyway - which is not a problem except Lightroom recommends working in prophoto to maximise the colour palette. You can still edit in prophoto and export sRGB, I had assumed that was 'advisable' rather than 'important'
I was intrigued that other websites notably flickr show the colours correctly from a prophoto export, but even using the flickr URL as hotlink here it displays with the washed out look.

The thumbnails are all proxied and resized through the forum even if they're linked from elsewhere, so that'd explain the difference in image quality. 

I think the processing upgrade this side should make it more consistent anyway. We're about to do another update on the server today anyway so hopefully we'll be able to sneak that in at the same time. 

• Like 1

The update is in, so if you fancy uploading that shot again either to here or the gallery, I'm hoping it'll show a better reflection of the original image. 

I thought it was fixed as the thumbnail when uploading seemed richer colour, but hard to say for sure.
However the large version still has the same issue unfortunately.
I did post it in a facebook group with normal colours, and on a (photography) forum too - so for now at least unless you use sRGB results may vary online!

Most users won't need worry about this but it might come up again with a new camera or whatever.

Thanks for testing, is a bit annoying that it didn't solve it. I'll read up a bit more in terms of the processing to see if there's a flag we can set or something, as it would be nice to make it consistent.