• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new version of the v8 radar is going to be available soon (initially as a beta product) to Extra subscribers.  We've been hard at work with a variety of additions and improvements, including:

We've just been split-testing a couple of possible layout options. We've settled on the right hand side for now though. 

If we are allowed to make suggestions. Now that WU is dead, I'm sure those of us with Personal Weather Stations would be more than happy to contribute weather data to make the product more comple

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sriram said:

What’s the vertical colour scale in the right hand side of the map - and which feature do I need to use for this - thanks

5289D056-EF1F-4CA7-9DAC-45C6C4EBB297.png

you see the colours on the map, that indicates rain getting picked up on Radar. The scale on the right shows the intensity on the rain getting picked up in mm/hr. In other words light rain is picked up by blues meaning like 0.5-1mm/hr which is light rainfall, often drizzle. 
The greens and yellows suggest more moderate rainfall or 2-6mm/hr and this rain intensity is common in frontal rainfall.
The oranges and reds suggest heavy rainfall or like 8mm/hr+, these colours are more common in heavy showers.
the dark reds and whites suggest torrential rainfall with rain exceeding 20mm/hr which is very rare in frontal rain, but common in summertime downpours and Thunderstorms.
The purple is often indicated by hail or extreme rainfall. Rain rate over 150mm/hr.

And just to ask: Why on Earth do you get a radar subscription if you don't really know the idea behind what a rain radar is? 

2 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

you see the colours on the map, that indicates rain getting picked up on Radar. The scale on the right shows the intensity on the rain getting picked up in mm/hr. In other words light rain is picked up by blues meaning like 0.5-1mm/hr which is light rainfall, often drizzle. 
The greens and yellows suggest more moderate rainfall or 2-6mm/hr and this rain intensity is common in frontal rainfall.
The oranges and reds suggest heavy rainfall or like 8mm/hr+, these colours are more common in heavy showers.
the dark reds and whites suggest torrential rainfall with rain exceeding 20mm/hr which is very rare in frontal rain, but common in summertime downpours and Thunderstorms.
The purple is often indicated by hail or extreme rainfall. Rain rate over 150mm/hr.

And just to ask: Why on Earth do you get a radar subscription if you don't really know the idea behind what a rain radar is? 

Good to see we've got some people with manners this evening. Nothing like talking down to people eh. 🙄

• Sad 1
Just now, Jamiee said:

Good to see we've got some people with manners this evening. Nothing like talking down to people eh. 🙄

i could of not explained to him at all what the scale means and what the colours show. i could of said, maybe you could of got a free app before trying out a subscription.

1 hour ago, sriram said:

What’s the vertical colour scale in the right hand side of the map - and which feature do I need to use for this - thanks

5289D056-EF1F-4CA7-9DAC-45C6C4EBB297.png

The scale shows precipitation rates. For example, if you were under a red cell on the radar you could expect to see 20mm per hour assuming that intensity remained directly above.

• Like 2

If you want to get technical, the rain rates are calculated from the original dBZ values provided by the radar scan. 🧐

20 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

The scale shows precipitation rates. For example, if you were under a red cell on the radar you could expect to see 20mm per hour assuming that intensity remained directly above.

Thanks - would be a good idea to label this scale so that we know what it is 

• Like 1

Is there any plans to upgrade the Precip type radar to a higher resolution than it currently is as well as the smoothing feature? E.g. from the current 1km res ( i assume ) to the 500m resolution matching the current rainfall radar. 

The precipitation type data is 1km resolution at the moment, so we'll not be upgrading that until the Met Office do (if they do). We are looking at smoothing it though.

1 minute ago, Paul said:

The precipitation type data is 1km resolution at the moment, so we'll not be upgrading that until the Met Office do (if they do). We are looking at smoothing it though.

Thank you very much Paul for the reply. One  of the reasons i asked this was that there is another radar subscription out there for the UK with 500m precip type. 1km is Fine and with the smoothing its going to look good with or without the 500m res anyways. Looking forward to the smoothing though, Hopefully its out before the winter months...  

11 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Thank you very much Paul for the reply. One  of the reasons i asked this was that there is another radar subscription out there for the UK with 500m precip type. 1km is Fine and with the smoothing its going to look good with or without the 500m res anyways. Looking forward to the smoothing though, Hopefully its out before the winter months...  

Ignore what i said. just noticed they are same res but the other radar i am on about feels higher res it seems, i think its cause there is more gradient in the colour table making the pixels stand out better for each intensity level.