Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

V8 Radar

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, sriram said:

What’s the vertical colour scale in the right hand side of the map - and which feature do I need to use for this - thanks

5289D056-EF1F-4CA7-9DAC-45C6C4EBB297.png

you see the colours on the map, that indicates rain getting picked up on Radar. The scale on the right shows the intensity on the rain getting picked up in mm/hr. In other words light rain is picked up by blues meaning like 0.5-1mm/hr which is light rainfall, often drizzle. 
The greens and yellows suggest more moderate rainfall or 2-6mm/hr and this rain intensity is common in frontal rainfall.
The oranges and reds suggest heavy rainfall or like 8mm/hr+, these colours are more common in heavy showers.
the dark reds and whites suggest torrential rainfall with rain exceeding 20mm/hr which is very rare in frontal rain, but common in summertime downpours and Thunderstorms.
The purple is often indicated by hail or extreme rainfall. Rain rate over 150mm/hr.

And just to ask: Why on Earth do you get a radar subscription if you don't really know the idea behind what a rain radar is? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
2 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

you see the colours on the map, that indicates rain getting picked up on Radar. The scale on the right shows the intensity on the rain getting picked up in mm/hr. In other words light rain is picked up by blues meaning like 0.5-1mm/hr which is light rainfall, often drizzle. 
The greens and yellows suggest more moderate rainfall or 2-6mm/hr and this rain intensity is common in frontal rainfall.
The oranges and reds suggest heavy rainfall or like 8mm/hr+, these colours are more common in heavy showers.
the dark reds and whites suggest torrential rainfall with rain exceeding 20mm/hr which is very rare in frontal rain, but common in summertime downpours and Thunderstorms.
The purple is often indicated by hail or extreme rainfall. Rain rate over 150mm/hr.

And just to ask: Why on Earth do you get a radar subscription if you don't really know the idea behind what a rain radar is? 

Good to see we've got some people with manners this evening. Nothing like talking down to people eh. 

Posted
Just now, Jamiee said:

Good to see we've got some people with manners this evening. Nothing like talking down to people eh. 

i could of not explained to him at all what the scale means and what the colours show. i could of said, maybe you could of got a free app before trying out a subscription.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, sriram said:

What’s the vertical colour scale in the right hand side of the map - and which feature do I need to use for this - thanks

5289D056-EF1F-4CA7-9DAC-45C6C4EBB297.png

The scale shows precipitation rates. For example, if you were under a red cell on the radar you could expect to see 20mm per hour assuming that intensity remained directly above.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If you want to get technical, the rain rates are calculated from the original dBZ values provided by the radar scan. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

The scale shows precipitation rates. For example, if you were under a red cell on the radar you could expect to see 20mm per hour assuming that intensity remained directly above.

Thanks - would be a good idea to label this scale so that we know what it is 

• Like 1

Posted

The precipitation type data is 1km resolution at the moment, so we'll not be upgrading that until the Met Office do (if they do). We are looking at smoothing it though.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

The precipitation type data is 1km resolution at the moment, so we'll not be upgrading that until the Met Office do (if they do). We are looking at smoothing it though.

Thank you very much Paul for the reply. One  of the reasons i asked this was that there is another radar subscription out there for the UK with 500m precip type. 1km is Fine and with the smoothing its going to look good with or without the 500m res anyways. Looking forward to the smoothing though, Hopefully its out before the winter months...  

Posted
11 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Thank you very much Paul for the reply. One  of the reasons i asked this was that there is another radar subscription out there for the UK with 500m precip type. 1km is Fine and with the smoothing its going to look good with or without the 500m res anyways. Looking forward to the smoothing though, Hopefully its out before the winter months...  

Ignore what i said. just noticed they are same res but the other radar i am on about feels higher res it seems, i think its cause there is more gradient in the colour table making the pixels stand out better for each intensity level.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
On 11/10/2020 at 23:25, Mapantz said:

If you want to get technical, the rain rates are calculated from the original dBZ values provided by the radar scan. 

I wonder if there could be customisable unit options on the V8 radar for example you can change from mm, to DBZ to Inches? 

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Just wondering Site Development Team, if there is any news about things like being able to receive a notification when it's going to rain/snow on the PWA radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
7 hours ago, Paul said:

Hi @asjmcguire - yep that functionality is already mostly built into the system, so is on the list to be finalised fairly soon.  

Thanks Paul. That is indeed fantastic news! Can you make sure notifications about precipitation use the same notification tag, so we don't end up with 20 of them going back in time, and instead the latest one just replaces the one before it (this would mirror the functionality of the old app)

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

How difficult would it be to implement radar estimated rainfall accumulation for 48/72hrs? 24hrs is great but during a multi-day event like we've seen these last couple of days it'd be far more interesting to see rainfall totals throughout the entire event, rather than just 24hrs at a time. 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hi @Paul Is it possible to get the weather type on the V8 radar to show where rain and sleet is falling or is that only an option on V7 currently?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hi @Paul Is it possible to get the weather type on the V8 radar to show where rain and sleet is falling or is that only an option on V7 currently?

It's already there SS

It's selectable from the display settings menu near the bottom left.

Screenshot_20210130-131917.png

Excuse the dodgy arrow, am on my mobile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hi SS, yes you can

CF5CD560-8260-4385-8254-042E3E59B55E.thumb.jpeg.9790ca23641c70e08ec5c0e4f55468d9.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Paul I’m next how do you bold city, town names etc (like yours) if you look at my radar, you can’t see anything under the precipitation

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Paul I’m next how do you bold city, town names etc (like yours) if you look at my radar, you can’t see anything under the precipitation

You can change the opacity of the radar image from the same menu as the weather type. To change the map background is the map icon near the top right

Screenshot_20210130-133055.png

We'll be publishing a video walk through of the radar soon, to go through the various options and features.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

You can change the opacity of the radar image from the same menu as the weather type. To change the map background is the map icon near the top right

We'll be publishing a video walk through of the radar soon, to go through the various options and features.

Video....That’s a cracking idea, then again the kid in me loves exploring and finding things out as one does, thanks anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
21 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's already there SS

It's selectable from the display settings menu near the bottom left.

Screenshot_20210130-131917.png

Excuse the dodgy arrow, am on my mobile.

20 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Hi SS, yes you can

CF5CD560-8260-4385-8254-042E3E59B55E.thumb.jpeg.9790ca23641c70e08ec5c0e4f55468d9.jpeg

Thanks guy's. Just subscribed to the full package today.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul said:

So much better

A0246E63-879E-405F-9A9A-898EDD0401CE.thumb.png.afcb21a4fc2cd4fcd8a9dfa0cd8c804e.png

• Like 1