Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Gareth - Atlantic Storm 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I'm concerned that the high winds will end up reaching further east in the Central Belt of Scotland. The M8 corridor is basically a wind tunnel

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

So a named storm but no amber warning , just sticking with a yellow - on this basis then just a wet windy spring day nothing too untoward in land in the south east .... ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The Met Office have cocked up again in my opinion. For several days, the forecasts for this mornings winds were much higher than tonight/tomorrow (for here) and no warning was issued. The wind speeds forecast for tomorrow have decreased by 10 miles an hour, and quite a lot lower than they were this morning, and a warning is issued for that.

Zero consistency.

• Like 1

Posted

According to the Met Office I'm not even within a yellow warning area, yet according to this I'm right on the edge of an amber!

Looking at the tightness of the projected isobars on numerous sites it seems that the isobars over Scotland, outside of the Met Office yellow warning area, are tighter than those inside the Met Office yellow warning area in England.

Edited by Fiona Robertson
To try to increase the clarity of my gibberish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Posted

Posted
12 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

@Jo Farrow, just looking at your wind gust charts. Interesting that much of the area shaded in red for Wednesday morning is outside any Met Office warning.

That 2nd chart 7am on Weds am does make me a bit worried. I live in SE SCotland and in a westerly like that it will funnel through the Central Belt, with lorries always falling over on the A1 east out of Edinburgh down to Berwick. However, I've looked at the Met Office app output against the NEtweather 7day forecast for tomorrow and they are different. MO has gusts up to 40 but WNW, more of a dig south of the high gusts. NEtwx output keeps westerly and gusts up to 50mph. so that's the difference

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The Met Office have cocked up again in my opinion. For several days, the forecasts for this mornings winds were much higher than tonight/tomorrow (for here) and no warning was issued. The wind speeds forecast for tomorrow have decreased by 10 miles an hour, and quite a lot lower than they were this morning, and a warning is issued for that.

Zero consistency.

Jo has opened a thread on the subject of warnings. Can you post your comments in there.

Fairly quiet at the moment. Local forecast doesn't show much for here while netweather does. Perhaps they'' do a flip like last time. I'll even screen grab them for West

Posted

It's certainly starting to really whip up currently - 81mph gust at Malin Head for instance. 

radarv8-gareth.png

Sneaky V8 radar screenshot too  

• Like 2

Posted

Well, good ol' Gareth seems to be cranking up here. I've brought the horses in before they become unhandleable. Horses are really spooky in the wind, especially when their route takes 'em under trees and through bushes. Heavy rain started, then stopped to make way for the snow....

Posted
58 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

That 2nd chart 7am on Weds am does make me a bit worried. I live in SE SCotland and in a westerly like that it will funnel through the Central Belt, with lorries always falling over on the A1 east out of Edinburgh down to Berwick. However, I've looked at the Met Office app output against the NEtweather 7day forecast for tomorrow and they are different. MO has gusts up to 40 but WNW, more of a dig south of the high gusts. NEtwx output keeps westerly and gusts up to 50mph. so that's the difference

Jo, promise me you'll be careful if you have to venture out in that. Call me superstitious or an old wifie, but I've got a bad feeling about this one. The track of the centre only needs to be off by a few miles for you and me to get hammered. I haven't had a chance to check yet, but what are the temps doing as Gareth tracks east overnight? Unless they go up a bit we're looking at a lot of drifting snow and blizzards.

Posted

87mph at the top end of Ireland xcweather is reporting, lots of lightning within the showers also.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted

A big difference here between netweather and Met office local forecast. Met office has just updated again making my screen shot for west is best a bit redundant. However net-weather is a good 6 to 8mph higher than the met offices. We shall see what happens. I wonder if they do a reverse like last time where the met went from wrong to correct and net weather from correct to being wrong.

A very slow increase here and not windy at all yet. Malin head now showing 78mph.

Posted

Picking up here briefly at F6 eased back a little but no gusts up to or over 50 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

image.thumb.png.6d7cacb8c938928a9b68b45e3dd2d800.png

typical shoddy BBC reporting - caption says

"Storm Gareth in Carlyon Bay St Austell, Cornwall"

coming to a seaside near you soon....

• Thanks 1

Posted

A windy night but nothing out of the ordinary. Only one gust over 50mph so no storm here so far. Met office won this one which suggested it wouldn't be bed here.

Posted

Seems to be picking up here now had a gust to 57 mph.

Posted

Localized gusts of 56mph this morning as Gareth reached his peak, dropped a little now the low is moving out over the North Sea but still some strong winds within the showers passing down into the Peak District off the Irish Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 12/03/2019 at 11:33, Badgers01 said:

So a named storm but no amber warning , just sticking with a yellow - on this basis then just a wet windy spring day nothing too untoward in land in the south east .... ?

It was named by the Irish met, who ate partners in this system, for how it would effect them. Also since then amber has also been issued here.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Didn't warrant an amber warning here not sure about western areas and scotland.

To be honest it wasn't a storm here just two gusts over 50 mph and one to 50 mph. Quite often these don't even get yellow warnings. Just a windy day. Local met office forecast beat the netweather one this time around.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What's the point of all this after-the-fact criticism? Does Dr Who work for the Met Office?