Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted

Really fed up of this spell of weather, it's useless for doing anything, fences are a permanent source of worry as they waggle around in the gusts and the dog either gets covered in mud or forgoes his walks in the park, the pavements are strewn with rubbish and branches, and let's not even talk about driving conditions and other drivers who fail to adjust what they are doing for the weather at the time. Can't wait for the end of all the wind and rain so I can get back to normal again. Edit, and yes, that squall/gust front just piled through here, no doubt covering the roads with yet more water plus knocking down all the barriers and cones around the seemingly endless roadworks that are clogging up all the main transport arteries in this area to make sure they block both sides of the carriageway. Yippee...

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There are so many roadworks in Thurrock and Basildon, either utility works, mending a bridge after lorry crashed into, traffic light repairs and repairs after utility works as well as QE2  bridge closures due to high winds which has happened at least twice since Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Amazing how the weather has gone from the sublime (back in February) to the ridiculous (this spell of miserable wet and continuously windy weather) - what is causing it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
20 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Amazing how the weather has gone from the sublime (back in February) to the ridiculous (this spell of miserable wet and continuously windy weather) - what is causing it?

We are on the warm air cold air boundary, and the cold air is very cold to our nw, which is causing rapid deepening of the lows. The jet looks like it will move away from us soon.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted

It does surprise me how soft we have all become lol. You may wonder why i said this. I would like to turn our minds back to arguably the worst winter for storms. 2013/2014. now we had a line of storms similar to this week lining up for practically the whole of the winter. You could count proper storms, with higher wind gusts than we have had all the way through this week. remember the valentines day storm, xmas storm, far far worse than any of these storms. I love a good wind storm, but these are just blowing few trees down compared to 2013/2014 and wasnt that also the year of St Jude?? remember also the Southeastern trains regularly were suspended for at least half the day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

That wind is very strong, enough already. Plenty of sunshine though.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

Nothing wrong with a bit of lively weather folks. It's only wind and rain guys, need to man up a bit. Bit of mud never killed anyone. 

Surprisingly mild today. 15.5c in the capital. Looks like another shower coming through. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

blowy but when the wind dies down its really quite balmy mild in the sun !

Posted
5 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

blowy but when the wind dies down its really quite balmy mild in the sun !

Indeed - we hit 16.4 C on the coast today...

Very windy again today... Not known such a windy period in a few years... 

Was hoping to see some downgrades on wind speed tomorrow but quite the opposite.. Still time for minor adjustments but I think we need to brace one final time before settling down.. 

GFS icon and Arpege... 

gustkph_20190315_06_039.thumb.jpg.152c46c616926b63ef75c2f82488363d.jpg

gustkph_20190315_06_034.thumb.jpg.064a8c7edfc951837aceee873198cc44.jpg

gustkph_20190315_00_040.thumb.jpg.84a037385d60a074b04f2dd4d855a2a9.jpg

Suggesting we may go above 60mph even inland... 

What also strikes me is the length of high winds.. A good 12 hours for most..if not more 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

It’s very windy here (no surprise) 

its very grey here.   (No surprise)

its very cold here.   (No surprise)  

its like everyday this week (no surprise)

• Like 3

Posted
23 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

It does surprise me how soft we have all become lol. You may wonder why i said this. I would like to turn our minds back to arguably the worst winter for storms. 2013/2014. now we had a line of storms similar to this week lining up for practically the whole of the winter. You could count proper storms, with higher wind gusts than we have had all the way through this week. remember the valentines day storm, xmas storm, far far worse than any of these storms. I love a good wind storm, but these are just blowing few trees down compared to 2013/2014 and wasnt that also the year of St Jude?? remember also the Southeastern trains regularly were suspended for at least half the day.

This wind is more continuous than that winter of 2013/14 (which arguably was one of the longest winters I can remember, for all the wrong reasons)...yes there were wind storms and copious rainfall but that was in the winter months not early spring and after a fortnight or so of calm warm February weather - that's what's making it annoying presently - if this was either October or November then more par for the course!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

its very cold here.   (No surprise)  

?...not sure about that, felt quite mild even in the wind, sunny here but the continuous wind is getting on my nads now!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

?...not sure about that, felt quite mild even in the wind, sunny here but the continuous wind is getting on my nads now!

I agree. Despite the wind it feels quite warm, its 15c just now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Again it's not really that windy down here today, but it has been wet most of the day, light mostly, with some moderate bursts.

So as things stand currently.. 

I'm expecting met Office to maybe go amber on the warning for coastal areas and immediately inland..

Suprised its not been named.. But there we go the met Office blow hot and cold when it comes to this.. 

Wind gusts peak looks to be late afternoon to around 9pm..

As it stands this is what models show 

GFS 

Inland max: 60mph 

Coastal areas: 70mph

Arpege 

" : 60mph

" : 70mph

ICON 

" : 70mph

" : 80mph

Definitely a system we need to keep a close eye on.. I think this maybe worse than last Sunday and that was bad round my way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I'm thoroughly fed up with this unsettled spell now, with the wind in particular getting on my nerves. Currently gusting around 40mph locally ( Hastings area ) and so far this month there have only been 2 days where the winds haven't gusted between 30-50mph locally at some point in the day.

It's not too bad on the occasional days when the sun has made a welcome appearance, but days like today where the winds are accompanied by sullen grey skies and sporadic drizzle really are quite depressing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

I'm thoroughly fed up with this unsettled spell now, with the wind in particular getting on my nerves. Currently gusting around 40mph locally ( Hastings area ) and so far this month there have only been 2 days where the winds haven't gusted between 30-50mph locally at some point in the day.

It's not too bad on the occasional days when the sun has made a welcome appearance, but days like today where the winds are accompanied by sullen grey skies and sporadic drizzle really are quite depressing.

I love a good storm.. But yes its getting a bit tedious having to battle the wind when bringing in sheet materials, today was so bad it took three of us to lift plasterboard and keep it down while brining it into the building 

One more dayc tomorrow and it all settles down... 

Some proper spring weather hopefully 

• Like 1

Posted

I've lost count the amount of times my bin has flown off. Last fence panel is swaying, I reckon it'll be a goner come tomorrow. 

I love a good storm too, certainly got through all our laundry bins today! However, it also freaks me out when it starts blowing a hooley round the house.

Wind has been quite extreme here today, especially mid afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Very dark clouds hanging about looking like it's going to chuck it down but only light rain forecast for later.

The wind is quite fun, but not enjoying the chill it brings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

One more windy day tomorrow before things settle down next week with at long last dry weather. Ground bogged here. 

Gusts of 50-60mph expected tomorrow - a windy day known back in the day and thank god weather authorities haven’t named yet another gusty spell into storm. *cringe (it’s not a storm, it’s wind gusts) 

nothing new, we haven’t experienced in this country before.

Edited by Ben Lewis