Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

No the naming of storms in my eyes was a big mistake.....it just gets confusing when other weather channels name storms then they change etc etc. Unless a storm posses a threat to life then I see no need to name them.. 

However, that's my opinion and there are lots of diffrent views on this... 

I 100% agree with you.

However re the bold in your comment, where do you draw the line at the "threat to life" as any low pressure  could be that.
Of course the other extreme is high pressures can also be a threat to life so should we name them as well.

Excessive heat or cold is also a threat to life.

44 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

I 100% agree with you.

However re the bold in your comment, where do you draw the line at the "threat to life" as any low pressure  could be that.
Of course the other extreme is high pressures can also be a threat to life so should we name them as well.

Excessive heat or cold is also a threat to life.

I guess that would then come to down to what is deemed like you say a threat to life...

It would also depend on how wide the impacts would be felt... All very fine stuff.. 

I'm in Cookham today and I kid you not it must be gusting to 50mph here now, so much so we set a laser up in the loft to install new ceiling joists and the laser is rocking with the roof!!! 

Trying to find a local station to see.. 

No mention on met Office at all just gales around coasts hmmm...  

Posted
19 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I guess that would then come to down to what is deemed like you say a threat to life...

It would also depend on how wide the impacts would be felt... All very fine stuff.. 

I'm in Cookham today and I kid you not it must be gusting to 50mph here now, so much so we set a laser up in the loft to install new ceiling joists and the laser is rocking with the roof!!! 

Trying to find a local station to see.. 

No mention on met Office at all just gales around coasts hmmm...  

True.

Some seriously strong gusts of wind in South London at the moment. Much stronger than the other night. 

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted

Looks like some pretty lively weather about to hit the capital from the NW very soon. Sunny spells and Windy now but will be changing very shortly I expect. Proper weather. 

Screenshot_20190307-142642.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Very windy on the south coast, surprised it hasn’t been named if the other night did...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

It’s so windy...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

a very windy day here in Surrey as others have also confirmed , this went down around 2pm admittedly it was rotten but it did fall on a well used path on Esher Common !!

JPEG image-A1B8427C801A-1.jpeg

• Like 1

Anyone seen th news? Not sure of any fatalities yet but a large load of scaffolding has been blown down in Central London.... 

Yet.. We got a named Storm on Sunday night? 

This was my biggest argument on Sunday with regards to naming storms and not naming storms... 

Who's right today? The met sent out no warnings.. Intresting 50mph gusts caused quite a bit of agro today by the looks of it... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

As members have stated above, I'm surprised more attention wasn't given to the likely conditions today. 

I thought that low pressure would have a "sting in it's tail", as it moved out into the N.Sea.

We're looking at some more very windy weather in the next week or so, if Forecast Models are calling the evolving Synoptic pattern, correctly.

Pretty chilly with a frost about tonight, as the skies clear and that strong wind finally abates.

Very windy again on Saturday/Sunday, as a "wave" tracks S.E, to the East of our region. 

12z  UKMO SAT.9th MARCH (t48) 

image.thumb.png.ffbc0d06c05f5bdf5c233d85a374bf2a.png

12z UKMO SUN.10th MARCH (t72)

image.thumb.png.6a2c5b999ca3e6b37f168dcac098439a.png

This needs to be kept a close "eye on", as this could become a significant event.

Further on into next week and the weather remains, very disturbed. An area of Low pressure looks to drop S.E, from Iceland to sit close to N.Scotland, by Wednesday afternoon. Winds strengthening between said Low and High pressure, close to the Azores.

12z UKMO WEDS.13th MARCH (t144)

image.thumb.png.6085056549ae508eb31ae9d96b266880.png

Even though these Lows are seemingly quite a fair distance away, from our area, the steep pressure gradient that results between these Lows and High pressure to our S,W, can mean some pretty windy weather, for our Region.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Anyone seen th news? Not sure of any fatalities yet but a large load of scaffolding has been blown down in Central London.... 

This was my biggest argument on Sunday with regards to naming storms and not naming storms... 

Who's right today? The met sent out no warnings.. Intresting 50mph gusts caused quite a bit of agro today by the looks of it... 

It was in Hampstead, according to my employee who was in the vacinity, there were no fatalities. I had no idea the gusts would be as strong today. Van was getting buffeted on the M11 on the way home 

Further Pictures and Info Here

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hampstead-scaffolding-collapse-miracle-noone-hurt-after-huge-section-of-scaffolding-crashes-to-a4085636.html

C1EDC6CB-6E88-4860-B5EE-F3DDDE4DDCCC.jpeg

Edited by scotteboi

25 minutes ago, scotteboi said:

It was in Hampstead, according to my employee who was in the vacinity, there were no fatalities. I had no idea the gusts would be as strong today. Van was getting buffeted on the M11 on the way home 

Further Pictures and Info Here

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hampstead-scaffolding-collapse-miracle-noone-hurt-after-huge-section-of-scaffolding-crashes-to-a4085636.html

C1EDC6CB-6E88-4860-B5EE-F3DDDE4DDCCC.jpeg

Thats the one... Damn! Glad nobody was hurt... 

So we go back to earlier suggestions.. When does the. Risk of life come into account with storms 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

I think anything that approaches damage to property/trees etc could also pose a risk to life through falling debris and as such warnings should be issued. It may only affect a very small area in reality but if it makes people aware, then as today’s event in Hampstead highlights, people may have been a little more wary when passing under/by trees/scaffolding etc, but as with all these things it’s pot luck if something happens and your either in the right or wrong place sometimes but forearmed is forewarned as the saying goes! I would rather be made aware of any potential weather event which could harm me or my belongings...it’s then up to me what I do with the information, it’s not nanny state ethics or the if we get too many warning we won’t heed them mentality. Everyone can make their own mind up on warnings given, it’s a choice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Hi Surrey. 

Agree 100% 

I have voiced my opinions on here before that giving a 60 mph max gust (not sustained winds) low pressure system a name and referring to it as a storm borders on cringeable. 

Then look at today, yes not catastrophic and the scaffolding in London being a localised event, however not even a mention from weather authorities about a warning proves this. 

A heatwave is not given a name, a deep cold spell isn’t given a name ~ both equally  can cause as much damage in their own right. 

I hope the UK ditches the low pressure - (let’s give it a name and make out it’s a storm) nonsense 

Go back to the good old days = “A windy day” with appropriate warnings without a stupid name. 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

With the opinions on here... Unless of course you're talking about 50mph sustained winds.. Great storm etc... Those are true storms big areas of impact.. 

Today was windy... A bog standard winter storm... Yet it had a few localised iccidents.. The storm wasn't named and no warnings issued... 

Its a catch 22 really... When does the line get drawn to no warnings and warnings... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi Surrey. 

Agree 100% 

I have voiced my opinions on here before that giving a 60 mph max gust (not sustained winds) low pressure system a name and referring to it as a storm borders on cringeable. 

Then look at today, yes not catastrophic and the scaffolding in London being a localised event, however not even a mention from weather authorities about a warning proves this. 

A heatwave is not given a name, a deep cold spell isn’t given a name ~ both equally  can cause as much damage in their own right. 

I hope the UK ditches the low pressure - (let’s give it a name and make out it’s a storm) nonsense 

Go back to the good old days = “A windy day” with appropriate warnings without a stupid name. 

Aye, another day here when a so called 'named' storm 'Freya' was no where near as bad as today, no named storm today

happens many times here, wettest/windiest days are no named storms

• Like 1

Posted

Agree with all of the above. 

And this idea that giving a storm a name is going to make folk more aware or cautious is nonsense. Only gives rags like the Express more scope for sensational headlines. Ridiculous system. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

The 12z ECM run, doesn't seem to make anything of that "wave" that appears on the 12z UKMO run for the Weekend, although it does suggest it remains pretty windy.

But like the 12z UKMO run, it does go on to develop a significant Low for Tues/Weds, which tracks S.E., down the N.Sea.

12z ECM 12th MARCH (t120)

image.thumb.png.0fea49830364292d8d265f111f1adb36.png

12z ECM 13th MARCH (t144)

image.thumb.png.2f279e314a95d427b61ef8d9cd653aff.png

Further on the 12z ECM blows up another deep Low, between Iceland and Norway.

12z ECM 15th MARCH (t192)

image.thumb.png.d074a3fe0e555c56426b2221c339f4fb.png

By next Weekend, colder air has spread South with winds turning towards the North and still pretty strong.

12z ECM 17th MARCH (t240)

image.thumb.png.3e9ce1529b4893ab0f548afeca567865.png

image.thumb.png.aeb20ea9cce57dc233fc9ab14ea09837.png

But next Weekend is a long way off!!

Having just seen MeteoGroup's (with Ben Rich), forecast for this Weekend, there seems to be quite a lot of doubt, how it's going to pan out. Perhaps that developing "wave" shown on the 12z UKMO chart, is causing the uncertainty?. It certainly needs to be kept under, close scrutiny!!

Let's hope, unlike today, that the appropriate warnings are issued, if necessary!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Agree with all of the above. 

And this idea that giving a storm a name is going to make folk more aware or cautious is nonsense. Only gives rags like the Express more scope for sensational headlines. Ridiculous system. 

Fully agree, naming storms is not for me...we have enough broadcast and written forcasts to warn about any adverse weather type....naming storms is a waste of time.

that being said can’t wait for heatwave Fred to arrive!

Posted

Well if they are not sure what's going to happen this weekend weatherwise, 36/48 hours out,forecasting really has come a long way hasnt it. Not! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Naming storms isn't for everyone, and at the same time the Irish met/ and UKMO can get it wrong, but it gives the general public a little more awareness, it's easily shareable on social media with a name to spread awareness. The trouble we may find is when Storm "Grace" hits and causes no issues, Storm "Harry" May hit, and give major impacts, this makes it inconsistent, and if there's enough named storms that don't have much of an effect, when something damaging comes along people aren't going to take notice.

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 2