Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Most days with lying snow during a mild winter?

Weather-history

Posted

One quirk about this winter is that despite the predominance of mild spells, I actually have seen 6 days of lying snow this winter including 5 on the trot. 

Its the most I have seen during a meterological winter that has been so mild overall. 

That is 1 more than I saw during winter 2008-09 which was colder by a margin to this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Taking a mild winter to mean one which is at least 1.0c above the 30 year mean my own stats reveal that the winter of 2004/05 had the most mornings with lying snow at 15, followed by 1989/90 with 14 and thirdly 2018/19 with 13. 

There were 7 other winters meeting the criteria since 1977/78 but none of them managed 10 mornings with lying snow.

• Like 2

Posted

I`ve only got half records of 1989-90 so that's knocked out about 6 or 7 in 1990.

10 days this winter all happened this side Christmas.

2004/05 got around 15 as I can make out.

2017/18 a clear winner at 30 days ending February 28th of course.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

From memory, winter 2006/07 stands out for me. I live in South London, so lying snow is rare, but we managed at least two mornings of lying snow in January and February, despite the winter being one of the mildest ever. This is about as good as it gets most years. We managed a couple of mornings in 04/05 despite a high number of days with snow falling. We didn't have any lying snow in 05/06 and only one morning in 07/08 and that was in April. No mornings of lying snow this winter. 

Posted

Other mild winters I would say they were mild going by TM if these count.

2002.03 with 15.

2003/04 with 18.

Second which was a good year from the atlantic 2014/15 with 19 so that comes 2nd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In South Tyneside (where I spent most of my life, but I've moved around a bit) it was 2003/04, which had 10 days of lying snow, including 4cm on 22 December, about 7cm on 28-29 January and about 11cm on 28 February, which may have been the deepest snow in the area at that time since February 1991 (although of course exceeded by a large margin in 2010).

1998/99 was the second snowiest mild winter with 8 days, but on that occasion only 9 February (5cm) had a depth greater than 2cm.  As in 2003/04, northerly outbreaks during an otherwise westerly-dominated winter were the culprit.

I don't think 2018/19 would have challenged those two in the Tyneside area as to my knowledge snow was only lying there during the first three days of February.

I imagine it's probably unusual for Exeter to get any lying snow in a winter this mild (yes, there was some here on 31 January, giving about 80% cover at 0900 on 1 February) but I recall reading posts from someone at Exeter University who reported lying snow there in late February 2004.

Posted

For a winter that was mild overall, with the cold spells being mostly very dry, it would have to be 2001/2 which produced 7 days with lying snow from only 5 with snow falling. It was fortunate in that the one significant snowfall (2cm on 30 Dec) was followed immediately by the coldest spell of the winter, with ice days and -10C minima that enabled it to stay on the ground despite only being a fairly small amount. 

I would agree with 2003/4 in Tyneside, I was up there then and that winter seemed very snowy considering it had mild wet rubbish for 90℅ of January, then that really mild spell at the start of February. The other days, however, were memorable- especially that late Feb spell which at the time was the most snow I'd seen since December 1995 down here.

• 7 months later...
Posted

Winter 2001/02 has always stood out for me in this regard. It snowed here on the evening of the 29th December giving a fairly good covering and it stuck around right up till the 2nd January I believe, and although there was slight thawing during the daytimes due to the time of year it was minimal at best and the following nights brought freezing fog and hoar frost causing the canal round here to freeze solid enough to walk on. 

Very similar to the event the year before in late December 2000, although slightly less snow in 2001 and was a couple of days later than that year. Though I think it's fair to say Winter 2000/01 was on average a colder Winter than 2001/02 which was quite mild overall with the exception of around the festive period. I've also learned since that that snowy spell we had in late Dec 01 was actually fairly localised unlike the late Dec 00 event which effected much more of the country.

What was interesting about this event in 01 also was the fact it actually briefly snowed on Christmas Day giving my first example of anything that could be termed a white Christmas by any standard. Just a few grains really but it remained cold enough then for these to remain unthawed up to the evening of the 29th when we got the proper dumping. Also of course it still remains to date the only time I recall seeing snow on the ground on New Years Eve and Day.

Posted

Easy for me.  Winter 2018/19 with snow arriving Thursday evening 31st January, continuing through Friday and stuck around until Monday 4th February.  The other winter that sticks out is 2006/07 which produced two snowfalls.  However, on both occasions the snow had gone by the end of the day, plus the depth was less than this year.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1