Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - Warm spell ending as Spring begins

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That seems a very reasonable way of looking at things, Matt. Unless it's something akin to late April 198 (snow lying for two consecutive days) or Easter 1975 (snow falling on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday) cold after mid-March is often more of a nuisance than a pleasure...

Anywho, we'll get whatever we'll get, whether we like or not!

Quite. I actually rather enjoyed the colder spells of late April 2016 and 2017 for their convective nature and good visibility rather than the notion of cold spell. I think that would be more realistic if anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The longer term GEFS 6z mean ties in with exeter's latest update for early april with a more changeable looking pattern but it should be noted that there is considerable uncertainty in that range from exeter.

21_342_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A vintage 2019 weather chart: cold air too far east to be of any use to coldies; anticyclone too far west to be all that useful to warmies...

image.thumb.png.fc444f530f017b32d9e56b32c2da7b7e.png

But this, on the other hand, would be just about perfect: image.thumb.png.704438784371191c47790ba237265722.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Bit of warmth for the mildie brigade at day 10.

gfs-0-234.png

gfs-1-240.png

• Like 3

Posted

Could be a nice set-up for some (as the late, great Michael Hunt would've said) April shahs::oldgood:

image.thumb.png.82cfcb7ac6bb629342349c40b0a906dc.png

And I do very-much hope that those hot uppers, darn sarf, are the shape of things to come: image.thumb.png.a679377c6f03341c901b2509872667f6.png

Some nice maxes indicated by the GEFS ensemble:image.thumb.png.ff80f703351fb0d0fed2a22d8dceaff1.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 6

Posted

Looking at the Gfs 12z operational, most of next week looks great with high pressure centred over the uk..better than this week..and the run also ends on a high! 

12_171_mslp500.png

12_195_mslp500.png

12_219_mslp500.png

12_219_uk2mtmp.png

12_240_mslp500.png

12_240_uk2mtmp.png

12_240_ukthickness850.png

12_384_mslp500.png

• Like 5

Posted

To sum up we have some warmth towards the end of month, then gfs and gfsp tends to send us quite a bit cooler as we start April , there will be some unsettled spells during this time, but with high pressure not being a million miles away there should still be plenty of dry conditions towards the S/SE

Edit. Looks like me and Karl posted similar charts at same time again. Lol

12_240_uk2mtmp.png

12_252_uk2mtmp.png

gfs-1-336.png

gfs-1-348.png

gfs-1-348 (1).png

gfs-0-348.png

gfs-0-372.png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking at the GEFS 12z mean, high pressure dominates most of next week as the operational showed..particularly pleasant across most of england and wales.

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_198_2mtmpmax.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_222_2mtmpmax.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_246_2mtmpmax.png

• Like 1

Posted

April Fools Day might be a bit wintry!❄️

11_312_850tmp.png

15_312_850tmp.png

20_300_850tmp.png

• Like 3

Posted

Not a lot to get overly excited about with ecm, some warmer days later this week, much cooler weekend but still relatively dry.. Looking rather cool in to next week with i would imagine a good deal of cloud. Looking at the set up you will gather that the air is much colder to our NW than it is to our East! So an Easterly at this point wouldn't be packing to much of a punch. 

ECM0-72.gif

ECM0-96.gif

ECM0-240.gif

ECM1-240.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking at the Ecm 12z the uppers next week are considerably lower  due firstly to the injection of colder air this coming weekend which never really gets properly mixed out and also due to the different positioning and orientation of the high with cooler continental air feeding in across especially the southern half of the uk (a little milder further north at that stage)..hopefully to compensate for the cooler uppers it will be sunnier next week compared to this week's rather cloudy but warmer high (especially in any sunny spells).

24_thickuk.png

24_mslp500.png

48_thickuk.png

48_mslp500.png

72_thickuk.png

96_thickuk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_thickuk.png

168_mslp500.png

168_thickuk.png

192_mslp500.png

192_thickuk.png

216_mslp500.png

216_mslp850.png

240_mslp500.png

240_thickuk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

Looking further ahead, tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean is set fair next week, indeed as means go it's rather spiffing!!

EDM1-144.GIF

EDM1-168.GIF

EDM1-192.GIF

EDM1-216.GIF

EDM1-240.GIF

• Like 3

Posted

Indeed Karl...With any luck we're heading for some 'shades of '76'? Or, failing that, a 'Barbecue Summer'? Not that that either of those two famous predictions ever delivered the goods, mind you!:search:

• Like 4

Posted

Compared to the first half of March, the second half more or less looking much more benign, with anticyclonic conditions gaining the upper hand. Nothing especially exciting, rather alot of cloud about next two days with some warmer air aloft, Friday to Monday looking more unsettled for all, and cooler, chilly in the north return to wintry showers and frost, next week promises more in the way of dry weather and hopefully something much brighter, but it doesn't look especially warm, decent enough but nothing exceptional.

Further ahead - signs of something colder from the north as we start April, very common in April to have northerly shots..

• Like 3

Posted

Tonight's Gfs 18z operational for next week looks very anticyclonic and with these sort of temperatures it would feel pleasantly warm in the strengthening late March sunshine.

18_216_mslp500.png

18_216_uk2mtmp.png

• Like 1

Posted

And then winter returns!:shok:❄️

18_360_preciptype.png

18_384_preciptype.png

18_384_mslp850.png

18_384_ukthickness850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

Good summary from Karl, was just gonna say gfs kind of ends with a bang with more arctic type air in place.... Wouldn't be surprised to see a Ntly set up in April, its pretty common tbh! Wouldn't rule out snow showers either... Lying snow.... Well it's a long shot, but let's just see!

gfs-0-372.png

gfs-1-372.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Cold set coming out here.

EDIT Mind you just as that happens, the eps have trended milder again.:wallbash:

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

18s ensembles look a tad colder, I'll take the pink one right now. 

graphe3_1000_246_89___.gif

• Like 1

Posted

This one's a beauty, if this sets up just the once I will be happy.

gens-8-1-240.png

gens-8-0-252.png

gens-8-0-360.png

gens-8-1-360.png

• Like 3

Posted

The ext EPS has been pretty consistent over the last three days in moving towards a more zonal outlook.

Still highly amplified upstream with the Aleutian low, strong Alaskan ridging and Hudson bay/west Greenland vortex. Troughs associated with the latter eastern North America and, in particular, stretching SE over Iceland. A strong upper flow exiting the eastern seaboard, particularly the north east, but there is some divergence and weakening in the eastern Atlantic, courtesy of some positive anomalies northern Scandinavia and low pressure south east Europe

Nothing particularly drastic indicated here but perhaps more unsettled further north vis the UK with temps around average. But still above over Scandinavia, perhaps an indication that the source of the air is south of the American trough.

10-15.thumb.png.b96f467e1eb1b18c58a53052388bcf5c.png7-12.thumb.png.8dfa6f19ba37a0e1ae111078eaf3f4e2.pngindex.thumb.png.750a035bf9f88ce82de72215416e0dd3.png

Last night's NOAA is not a million miles from this and tonight's will be of some interest

814day_03.thumb.gif.274ff6316b5a6d70b3f3f8a351eb4904.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
On 18/03/2019 at 11:57, knocker said:

With the usual proviso that I find transferring these map projections into a NH context above my pay grade I'm afraid I really fail to see how you are inferring an easterly out the clusters this morning with the Atlantic trough being the dominant feature  Again I find it difficult to assimilate five days of clusters but i find nothing to contradict the trend more towards zonal

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031800_300.thumb.png.c998a19cada58a3b0559cba0f3c34508.pngec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031800_360.thumb.png.350fc604056277a1ad1650fcd1878fac.pngindex.thumb.png.d8cb266a3ee97aaff7454072b49f1c26.png

But still looking at temps above average

temp.thumb.png.dcd13fc51c0673b38cb0112f04dfdca9.png

Hi Knocker - sorry a bit late in replying - I was mentioning where I personally thought things "might" go based upon the evolutions I was focussing on, certainly not where I expected them to go. But alas!! Last night's clusters suggesting the "weak easterly" possibility is alive - cluster 1, height anomaly north, trough anomaly south, which puts a south-easterly or just maybe an easterly in play

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031912_264.

Even so, only 33% of ensembles in this cluster, so the return of Atlantic based weather remains the favourite as the month ends

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO has finally returned after not updating for a number of day's and it shows high pressure over the UK dry for the vast majority but some isolated rain/showers is still possible

ukm2.2019032700_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.d043bf79a493f98e5d9a7ea53d594ddb.png

Posted
13 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Hi Knocker - sorry a bit late in replying - I was mentioning where I personally thought things "might" go based upon the evolutions I was focussing on, certainly not where I expected them to go. But alas!! Last night's clusters suggesting the "weak easterly" possibility is alive - cluster 1, height anomaly north, trough anomaly south, which puts a south-easterly or just maybe an easterly in play

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031912_264.

Even so, only 33% of ensembles in this cluster, so the return of Atlantic based weather remains the favourite as the month ends

But at a guess I would put the surface high cell to the east, possibly south east and with a trough the W/SW a SW/S flow more likely as indicated with the upper flow. And in any case we are merely talking about the anticyclonic circulation and thus probably light airs. The latter part of this morning's det run is certainly supporting a breakdown to more unsettled but we need to wait and see

t192.thumb.png.6305520b2aaf369b33267aa94467a4cc.pngt216.thumb.png.7bc66b2e25cb15285d2de2c3ac813831.pngt240.thumb.png.542e47ed98b2db945f24887971df6304.png

Edited by knocker

Posted

A very benign-looking 06Z today; even All Fools' Day looks benign: image.thumb.png.823802c01b742c5068e2138fc5cb9f42.png

But that looks like being the 'calm before the storm', so to speak, as, in Early April a large Atlantic LP takes up residence, close to the UK: image.thumb.png.fa7bfc9e1e5044b44a67f1cbbf396fc4.png

And I do like cold uppers with low pressure, things might even get a tad convective: image.thumb.png.ab87b484b6c898d7d7200f44d138c1fc.png

• Like 4