Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - Warm spell ending as Spring begins

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its a crap Easterly though.

Yeh Feb it looks weak!I'm more interested in the fact its trying to build heights in the right places though! And the fact its at complete loggerheads with the old gfs

• Like 2

Posted

Lets hope we can roll a 6.

image.thumb.png.e56989694dc91745e55d3e51f91467ca.png

Could be lucky Feb, that's pretty much bang on to the operational run last night! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Lets hope we can roll a 6.

image.thumb.png.e56989694dc91745e55d3e51f91467ca.png

how long do you guys keeping looking out for these charts? does anyone really enjoy a few flurries on a raw day at the end of March??

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

how long do you guys keeping looking out for these charts? does anyone really enjoy a few flurries on a raw day at the end of March??

You should know cheeky monkey that it's not out the question to get significant snowfall in March, even April, and bare in mind we have just endured one of the worst winters for cold and snow for a long time. Its easy for you to say that when your subject to 6 months of snow per year. 

• Like 5

Posted

Considering how rubbish this winter has been for snow, despite most of the long range forecasters here and on other sites saying this would  be a cold winter with blocking to the North , and where are these people to explain what went wrong I would take any snow in March and April  even if it rapidly melts at this time of year, away from high ground. 

• Like 4

Posted

To continue briefly with the gfs. The problem, as ever, is the high trying to gain a substantial foot hold whilst a lot of energy continues to to exit the eastern seaboard across the Atlantic and it's only partially successful albeit it has put a halt to the conveyor belt of lows

. gfs_uv250_natl_29.thumb.png.e7a3310f817a207c5350d346271eb709.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_33.thumb.png.06e1b5a30aaf602dc9fdc0e53126af7e.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_37.thumb.png.4f143e2118bbf7343ac99e4c2fffa0c1.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ecm is pretty much along the same lines as the gfs although it does go off piste at the end of the run with another intense trough over North East North America and the twin energy flows promoting another low from the eastern seaboard.

t144.thumb.png.0a9435fda660e698546c45da6f4f8d09.pngt168.thumb.png.b4d06d71512dd8063b912e3c0a54faad.pngt222.thumb.png.44d3a665f7cef62e9c08333ad43fb6dc.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The in topic this week is Fibonacci Spirals brought about by the current storm in the States' H/t Weatherbell for this

On this forecasted Infrared Satellite imagery product, check out not just one, but two distinct Fibonacci spirals! Fibonacci spirals are commonly found in meteorology, and their representation on satellite imagery depict that the cyclone is both mature and powerful.

Don't ask!

2140858919_D1i0bobU8AENmlp.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.d38fc2bbdff64d53b64c9b63b5b74b4e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I wonder if Met Office can be bothered with naming Saturday's low Hannah, looks like it could bring some disruptive snow across Scotland, gales to the south, 00z ECMWF deeper with the low, 978mb off NE England 6pm Sat as opposed to circa 985mb on GFS.

ECMWF

ECMWF_060_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.thumb.png.54f554d6dc9e0a5f2493f9751f3d6c25.pngecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2019031400_066.thumb.jpg.7448bea4eb99653dbbf79a241340d6cf.jpg

GFS

Saturday.thumb.JPG.c86a0243d89b0a6627109673118ba6f9.JPGgfs_slp.thumb.png.2d946a0145a6f7d84890f398b0bdcb2e.png

Looks like finally calming down next week, as the Azores high extends across the south from mid-week, but the operational and ensemble guidance seems to be moving away form it being another protracted spell of high pressure, such as has featured at times over the last 3 months, with a return to unsettled conditions resuming the following weekend, but could it be a brief unsettled return before ridging returns?

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I wonder if Met Office can be bothered with naming Saturday's low Hannah, looks like it could bring some disruptive snow across Scotland, gales to the south, 00z ECMWF deeper with the low, 978mb off NE England 6pm Sat as opposed to circa 985mb on GFS.

ECMWF

ECMWF_060_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.thumb.png.54f554d6dc9e0a5f2493f9751f3d6c25.pngecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2019031400_066.thumb.jpg.7448bea4eb99653dbbf79a241340d6cf.jpg

GFS

Saturday.thumb.JPG.c86a0243d89b0a6627109673118ba6f9.JPGgfs_slp.thumb.png.2d946a0145a6f7d84890f398b0bdcb2e.png

Looks like finally calming down next week, as the Azores high extends across the south from mid-week, but the operational and ensemble guidance seems to be moving away form it being another protracted spell of high pressure spells, such as has features at times over the last 3 months, with a return to unsettled conditions resuming the following weekend, but could it be a brief unsettled return before ridging returns?

UK  Met Fax deepens it considerably as it crosses the Borders area into the N Sea.

• Like 1

Posted

I really hope it does calm down next week - I struggle to remember a period quite as windy as this one. Maybe Winter 14?

• Like 1

Posted

The EPS is still looking to rebuild the ridge in the ext period, and last night's NOAA to some extent is not adverse to this,but it doesn't have the look of permanency about it.

9-14.thumb.png.ca081013922b826efeb827ba05be22b1.png814day_03.thumb.gif.c28c09547bc342c3d80c759f4daab095.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A more mixed run from the 6z, becoming settled, then a little more unsettled even some colder shots in the mix, then it finishes with warmer temps and high pressure literally building over us, all deep in fi though, but overall not as encouraging a previous runs. 

gfs-1-252.png

gfs-1-276.png

gfs-1-288.png

gfs-1-372.png

gfs-0-372.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.c218a40064409b870f485a03fc57d51b.png

This spoiler low approaching from the west looks like preventing a clean build of high pressure.

Doesn't look like a strong anticyclone such as the very warm spell at the end of February anyway...flow still from the west,

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031400_240.

By D12, all sorts of options available:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019031400_288.

By contrast - if you want to see signs of a strong high pressure, something like this needs to appear:
ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019022112_096.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
16 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

A more mixed run from the 6z, becoming settled, then a little more unsettled even some colder shots in the mix, then it finishes with warmer temps and high pressure literally building over us, all deep in fi though, but overall not as encouraging a previous runs. 

Great summary of the 6z operational, I was about to post something similar but decided not to as you covered all bases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Great summary of the 6z operational, I was about to post something similar but decided not to as you covered all bases. 

Was just gonna say frosty the GFSP seems to want to bring in a more N/NEtly at the end of the run! With temps really suppressed for end of march, don't really know what to make of this set up, perhaps a timely reminder that we ain't in to spring properly perhaps!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Not always a few flurries though, you can still get big dumpings in April although highly unlikely, i won't actually give up until its scientifically impossible.

Anyway - number 11 this time for me.

image.thumb.png.37c449c15542b4644b773b30d66320a4.png

• Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not always a few flurries though, you can still get big dumpings in April although highly unlikely, i won't actually give up until its scientifically impossible.

Anyway - number 11 this time for me.

image.thumb.png.37c449c15542b4644b773b30d66320a4.png

Love it, scientifically possible!! Nows that's what I call hardcore! It's possible Feb, it looks like the much warmer conditions have downgraded! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
22 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

i won't actually give up until its scientifically impossible

Wow you're more hard-core than me..I'm impressed

To me, it's still looking better next week though perhaps not to the same extent as the last few days have indicated. I believe Mattwolves is of the same opinion.:oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Wow you're more hard-core than me..I'm impressed

To me, it's still looking better next week though perhaps not to the same extent as the last few days have indicated. I believe Mattwolves is of the same opinion.:oldsmile:

Thing is its a no brainer for me anyway, as i could do with an unsettled late April and may so its not like i am looking for heat anyway, certainly not dry heat.

• Like 2