Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No internet weather monitoring station?

D Man

Posted

Hi 

I’m in a model flight club and the weather affects our flights a lot. I thought of using a remote weather monitoring station to alert the members when the airfield is flyable. I’m looking for a low cost remote weather monitoring station that does not need internet and  we can view real time data from. Any suggestions?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

When you say no internet are you ruling out the cellular stuff like this, not low cost but you are asking a lot.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-connect-for-wireless-stations-cdma/ 

how do you want to access the data remotely without the internet ? I'm not sure its possible, .....a very long cable maybe 

Posted
2 hours ago, trebor said:

When you say no internet are you ruling out the cellular stuff like this, not low cost but you are asking a lot.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-connect-for-wireless-stations-cdma/ 

how do you want to access the data remotely without the internet ? I'm not sure its possible, .....a very long cable maybe 

Well maybe I should rephrase. No WiFi or wired Ethernet. That kit is a fair price too, $800?

Edited by D Man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

I don't think you will find a cheap option for cellular weather stations maybe somebody else will come up with an idea.

Have you looked on wunderground 

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

is anybody operating a station close enough to your site that it would help, that's free.

Posted
11 hours ago, trebor said:

I don't think you will find a cheap option for cellular weather stations maybe somebody else will come up with an idea.

Have you looked on wunderground 

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

is anybody operating a station close enough to your site that it would help, that's free.

I’ll have a look

Posted

If your budget is tight and you're feeling like doing a bit of system integration it might be possible to use a cheap weather 'station' with a USB port for logging with a laptop or notebook PC to run suitable logging software and an old smartphone to connect the laptop to the internet via Bluetooth or using its wi-fi hotspot feature. Almost any old laptop and smartphone would do if they can be housed in a watertight box. In fact it might even be possible to engineer something with an old phone and a Raspberry Pi.

I hasten to add that I've never tried this myself though :oldsmile:. The quality and accuracy wouldn't match a Davis, of course.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

If your budget is tight and you're feeling like doing a bit of system integration it might be possible to use a cheap weather 'station' with a USB port for logging with a laptop or notebook PC to run suitable logging software and an old smartphone to connect the laptop to the internet via Bluetooth or using its wi-fi hotspot feature. Almost any old laptop and smartphone would do if they can be housed in a watertight box. In fact it might even be possible to engineer something with an old phone and a Raspberry Pi.

I hasten to add that I've never tried this myself though . The quality and accuracy wouldn't match a Davis, of course.

I’m very intrigued. I already have a Pi, laptop and smartphone. Can you elaborate?

Posted

I'm thinking of a cheap weather gadget type station with a USB connection that can be used for logging - random selection something like this (with appropriate warning that I've never tried such a thing): https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCE-FWS-20-Radio-Controlled-Direction-Precipitation/dp/B001CQSVZ2/ref=sr_1_8?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1551466361&sr=1-8&keywords=usb+weather+station

You could probably find open source logging software for nothing and use your phone as an internet connection to upload the data to Wunderground, where you could monitor your station remotely. As I say, I've never tried anything like this but it could work.

Posted
13 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I'm thinking of a cheap weather gadget type station with a USB connection that can be used for logging - random selection something like this (with appropriate warning that I've never tried such a thing): https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCE-FWS-20-Radio-Controlled-Direction-Precipitation/dp/B001CQSVZ2/ref=sr_1_8?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1551466361&sr=1-8&keywords=usb+weather+station

You could probably find open source logging software for nothing and use your phone as an internet connection to upload the data to Wunderground, where you could monitor your station remotely. As I say, I've never tried anything like this but it could work.

I’ll definitely look into it!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

D Man if you are interested in the Ecowitt Solar/Cellular station I suggest that you contact support@ecowitt.net and ask for a quote as the price might not be too bad and you might even be able to negotiate a reduced price if you offer to upload a product review for them as they are a new brand offering the latest weather station kit from Fine Offset so are looking for exposure.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

D Man if you are interested in the Ecowitt Solar/Cellular station I suggest that you contact support@ecowitt.net and ask for a quote as the price might not be too bad and you might even be able to negotiate a reduced price if you offer to upload a product review for them as they are a new brand offering the latest weather station kit from Fine Offset so are looking for exposure.

I will definitely try. Thanks!