Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Discussion - Spring approaches - how warm at the end of this week?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model related discussion in this thread.
For non-model related moans, chat and talk about the winter in general please head over to the winter chat thread

Posted

To continue with the gfs, As can be seen at T144 there is still a lot of energy exiting the eastern seaboard so essentially the 5-10 period remains a battle between this and the resilient block

gfs_uv250_nh_25.thumb.png.d3d015b010059d77b4823e99f25f0c11.png

With such strong forces at play the distribution of this energy plays an important role in the detail of the surface analysis (partly explains inter run variations)  and this morning, despite some variation in position, the blocking high pressure remains in control over the UK so remaining dry with temps still above average.

gfs_z500_vort_natl_27.thumb.png.2e640fd8ce724915fc032cf75a253979.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_33.thumb.png.c0bc728c566f7d0e8b7b447702396d11.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_41.thumb.png.3d0095aca36e3c8c9d4761b76dbe8b72.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The models have, as expected, corrected their over-amping of heights to the north.

They are now back to where they were indicating pre-X-flow. 

With the developments, we have sustained UK HP for another day or so, but by D10 it is sinking SE. Those extra two days have helped build up lower heights in the Canadian vortex, so a ready supply of cyclones awaiting their journey to our sector.

By D16 the mean:  gensnh-21-1-384.thumb.png.5670c7594ace0e698e5e8fd0caa77cf7.png  AO>>ao.sprd2.thumb.gif.b4ec4bfc9400a344d220f6bb517815b0.gif

The wedge of heights on the AsiaPac side directing the PV to the Atlantic region traversing to our north. We have seen this before this winter and it is usually transient, so maybe a week of March dedicated to some sort of zonal flow. The AO index heading south as that wedge messes around the Arctic fields.

That wedge will eventually mix out or get drawn to similar pressure sources. Maybe further height rises in the UK/Atlantic region will find an opening and the cycle will restart. 

The wedge continues to send cold to lower latitudes but sadly the UK will need a reset to get the severe cold flow to the UK. However upper air as we near D16 is closer to climate:

London>>>graphe9_1000_315_147___.thumb.gif.0e3f673cb4aca30d2edead551adfec42.gif

As @knocker mentioned, the jet stream is currently a powerhouse. see https://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-jet-stream-flight-20190219-story.html

Watch out for the dust: https://twitter.com/MeteoGib/status/1098115396173991936

Dz1JlQlWwAAsHci.thumb.jpg.2163df0282ca97a89e903e96a9b426fe.jpg

Some very mild air to come before month's end suggesting a CET of +4c above climate for Feb!!! Enjoy!

Edited by IDO
  • Like 5

Posted

The ext EPS this morning has some changes upstream vis the orientation of the Alaskan ridge/Canadian vortex and thus the Polar flows  But still indicating a strong jet out of the eastern seaboard and a weakening European ridge. So nothing alarming about to pounce out of the woodshed

index.thumb.png.c700a8815487abea04109792554df55b.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
34 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ext EPS this morning has some changes upstream vis the orientation of the Alaskan ridge/Canadian vortex and thus the Polar flows  But still indicating a strong jet out of the eastern seaboard and a weakening European ridge. So nothing alarming about to pounce out of the woodshed

index.thumb.png.c700a8815487abea04109792554df55b.png

Interesting anomaly charts there....

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019021912_336.

The ECM clusters last night favour a much more unsettled prognosis. I guess the smaller cluster matches up quite well, but we will see.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

GFS forecast 2m temp anomaly for the next 7 days suggesting the UK average will be +4.6C above climate. Taking actual temps to 20th Feb and adding the next 7 days, a forecast anomaly of +2.4C for the month.

Next 7 days 496502287_GFSTempAnom20-27thFeb.thumb.jpg.da050eaf05e7489ca2b56292c5d002d4.jpg Feb actual to 20th + 7 days 2062944748_GFSTempAnom20Feb7days.thumb.jpg.630c8e4b2ce6be5aa740fffba20e4719.jpg

Looking at the 3-day mean 500hPa height anomaly forecasts 27th Feb to 1st March from GFS and ECM there's very good agreement that NW Europe and the UK remain well and truly under the influence of high pressure.

1801994722_ECMGFS8-10day500meanending01Mar2019.thumb.jpg.f5d7b5e57ebffa24c01a6e1af05faba9.jpg

Both GFS and ECM had the MJO entering Phase 8 around the 14th Feb. ECM then moves quickly through to Phase 1, whilst GFS meanders around 8. Adding the typical time-lag to take us into March, the composite 500hPa heights anomaly for both Phase 8 and Phase 1 in ENSO neutral conditions both suggest a much more favourable pattern for the UK would normally be expected. With little sign of that in the extended forecasts, as others have written, it looks like the Nina-like base state continues to interfere with expectations (disappointingly, not for the first time this winter).

MJO Ph 8 composite 1355559035_MJOPh8compositeanomMarENSOneutral.thumb.jpg.918a81ac1e80bfc4b384adb5e87fd965.jpg Ph 1  364104841_MJOPh1compositeanomMarENSOneutral.thumb.jpg.f1efb5981ecb0ccb1cad166a76de4379.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Interesting anomaly charts there....

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019021912_336.

The ECM clusters last night favour a much more unsettled prognosis. I guess the smaller cluster matches up quite well, but we will see.

As I have said before I personally have a fair amount of difficulty when comparing a mean anomaly over five days with ten sets of readings from the clusters, particularly given the map projection. There are so many variations vis the strength and position of the trough and ridge I find, just my personal opinion of course, that looking for detail a bit pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM op and mean much closer on today's 00z run unlike yesterday when the op went off on one and was a cold outlier at the end

London

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.aec54b87d5acd8fdb8c2486cb1cb6bba.png

Southern Scotland

sco.thumb.png.21081d155f0ccf3b486af08dc6dd4b87.png

It looks mild to very mild for the foreseeable future

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Both GFS and ECMWF seemed to have backed off warmth for Saturday, which had been earmarked for peak of warmth, high pressure over Europe appears to be extending further west, so not such a strong southerly flow away from the far west, having said that, temperatures still in the mid-teens on Friday and Saturday afternoons, which is well above the seasonal average, but the 13th Feb 1998 record of 19.7C looks less under threat.

Almost overlooked tomorrow afternoon, Netweather's SR model indicating 17-18C over north Aberdeenshire and Moray - likely from Foehn effect in the lee of Highlands/Cairngorms.

Thurs_14z.thumb.png.40fc2adac90a33363fea23eb2e747674.png

EC has 15-16C in similar area of NE Scotland, also across Vale of York

ecmwf_t2max_c_britain_8.thumb.png.806191671d76390ae1c3ebcedb31e772.png

• Like 8

Posted
51 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

GFS forecast 2m temp anomaly for the next 7 days suggesting the UK average will be +4.6C above climate. Taking actual temps to 20th Feb and adding the next 7 days, a forecast anomaly of +2.4C for the month.

Next 7 days 496502287_GFSTempAnom20-27thFeb.thumb.jpg.da050eaf05e7489ca2b56292c5d002d4.jpg Feb actual to 20th + 7 days 2062944748_GFSTempAnom20Feb7days.thumb.jpg.630c8e4b2ce6be5aa740fffba20e4719.jpg

Both GFS and ECM had the MJO entering Phase 8 around the 14th Feb. ECM then moves quickly through to Phase 1, whilst GFS meanders around 8. Adding the typical time-lag to take us into March, the composite 500hPa heights anomaly for both Phase 8 and Phase 1 in ENSO neutral conditions both suggest a much more favourable pattern for the UK would normally be expected. With little sign of that in the extended forecasts, as others have written, it looks like the Nina-like base state continues to interfere with expectations (disappointingly, not for the first time this winter).

MJO Ph 8 composite 1355559035_MJOPh8compositeanomMarENSOneutral.thumb.jpg.918a81ac1e80bfc4b384adb5e87fd965.jpg Ph 1  364104841_MJOPh1compositeanomMarENSOneutral.thumb.jpg.f1efb5981ecb0ccb1cad166a76de4379.jpg

The latest enso update shows that en nino has re-established so perhaps a better chance of a cold spell in March.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

• Like 4

Posted

ECM has pretty much 9 days where maxes somewhere top 15c, with multiple 16-17c. This is likely 1-2c too low for local maxes so could well see a 18-19c Max at some point in the next week.

Possibly the mildest last 10 days of Feb ever coming up?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Absolutely garbage 6z, yet again each model run pushes any colder shots further back into (fi) it's now getting to the point of know return! What a soul destroying winter, not only have the background signals been about as useful as a one legged man at a butt kicking contest, the 5-10 day charts on cold weather have been laughable. They have nailed it everytime with the mild conditions, but my god whenever a cold shot as come into view they have constantly pushed it back another several days! Perhaps it's time to join the hunt for spring and put this miserable attempt of winter to bed! Not even one sustained northerly in 3 months!!

gfs-1-360.png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

It's been an absolute joke hasn't it 

Yeh its dire, you know when things are looking bad, as the big hitters on here of a cold persuasion stop posting! I will carry on searching for something but as you know a cold spell at end of march, where the snow melts before it hits the ground is pretty pointless. I feel sorry for the Scottish ski resorts, must be truly terrible! And as I post this the cold bias GFSP goes cold into fi, you just couldn't make it up! 

gfs-1-384.png

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Yeh its dire, you know when things are looking bad, as the big hitters on here of a cold persuasion stop posting! I will carry on searching for something but as you know a cold spell at end of march, where the snow melts before it hits the ground is pretty pointless. I feel sorry for the Scottish ski resorts, must be truly terrible! And as I post this the cold bias GFSP goes cold into fi, you just couldn't make it up! 

gfs-1-384.png

Unrealistic cold crossing the Atlantic there, I find it strange we were sold the fact the GFSp was going to be considerably superior to the current GFS, it’s cold bias has been dreadful all winter, it’s been on par with the CFS imo absolutely useless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Unrealistic cold crossing the Atlantic there, I find it strange we were sold the fact the GFSp was going to be considerably superior to the current GFS, it’s cold bias has been dreadful all winter, it’s been on par with the CFS imo absolutely useless.

Agreed Weathizard, it seems to be selling us up the river so to speak. Latest GEFS ensembles not without interest, notice some of them dipping spikes early next month! Straw clutching again I suppose! 

graphe3_1000_250_95___.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Weathizard said:

GFSP nailed the cold across N.America and its duration a long way out..it was the only model to do so

Posted

Ice cream van alert!! Icon says if you can't get the - 12 uppers, don't worry we will send you the +12 uppers! Approaching 20c.... Wow, just wow 

icon-1-144.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Look at that cold air near the Aleutions, quite a dry airmass and severe Gales, perishingly cold, and i thought it was severe with -7c in the day and a gentle continental tug in Dec 2010 here!.

image.thumb.png.1e1890bfccf82dcadedb607c52d8e71b.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Ice cream van alert!! Icon says if you can't get the - 12 uppers, don't worry we will send you the +12 uppers! Approaching 20c.... Wow, just wow 

icon-1-144.png

Gorra love it, we have gone from the icon heat alert to the gfs 12z cold alert, only in Britain my friends!!

gfs-1-348.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Gorra love it, we have gone from the icon heat alert to the gfs 12z cold alert, only in Britain my friends!!

gfs-1-348.png

6 days vs almost 15 days, non-comparable really.

• Like 2