Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What is the longest time you`ve been cut off from snowdrifts.

Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

We have had plenty of 24hr events tho, it is localised drifting blocking small country lanes that causes the biggest problem and which ever way you head there is always a hill to go up or down making it tricky/interesting trying to get work, 

Posted

Always lived in a built up area.. and never on a road that has been blocked. However, Windermere on occasion is blocked in by snow drifts on roads that have to be accessed to reach the town. Never for more than a day or two though. Feb 96 I think we were blocked in for 3 days. The ploughs come unstuck on the A591 over Bannerigg. Other routes into the town are on narrower country roads. When we are blocked in most of the central lakes is as well.

Posted

I grew up in a village on top of a bit of a hill in Cumbria served by minor roads that the council largely ignored. The worst drifting I can remember was early February 1996. The roads were completely blocked to the tops of the walls and hedges with some cars stuck under it too. But I think we were only genuinely stuck in for a couple of days before farmers had dug a narrow one car wide track through it. It wasn’t gritted or anything though and I don’t think many folk ventured out for the whole week. A blizzard in late February/early March 2001 created similar circumstances but less long lasting. I went to uni in Lancashire a year later and barely saw snow again! Now I live close to an A road that is kept open no matter what, even in 2018.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I've been stuck in here many times over the years, during 09/10 winter the single track lanes round here were full wall to wall for around 2 weeks and 2013 around a week and a half.

Screenshot_20211024_080435_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_20211024_080412_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_20211024_080402_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Living on a farm in Miskin South Wales 1982 we were cut off from Jan 7 th to the 14 th, even the nearby M4 was closed for 2/3 Days. South Wales/West Country Blizzards do provide hedge top to hedge top filling drifts.  The latest  in Mar 2018 where our local minor roads were blocked by drifts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

OMG...

Am I the only one who remembers 1947? I can just about remember it, as I was only 3 at the time!.

Cut off for nearly 3.5 weeks in a little village on the Lincolnshire / Nottinghamshire border.

Mother ran the local PO/General Store in the village and remember the queuing when we had our first delivery of milk, food. etc.

The local farmers supplied us with various goods to keep us all going during the enforced lockdown.

Oh and the framers used their tractors with snow ploughs attached to try and break through. The problem was that they got 3/4 of the way through before the next blizzard dumped another 6 -12 inches and it just blew back over the fields again over the roads.

When it wasn't snowing the drifts were frozen solid and it took ages with shovels to get foorpaths in the village clear. I thought it was fantastic though.

Happy days!! 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 hour ago, Bypass said:

Living on a farm in Miskin South Wales 1982 we were cut off from Jan 7 th to the 14 th, even the nearby M4 was closed for 2/3 Days. South Wales/West Country Blizzards do provide hedge top to hedge top filling drifts.  The latest  in Mar 2018 where our local minor roads were blocked by drifts.

I was 12 at the time but remember it well. We were living out in the sticks just north of Bristol. 40cm of level snow and drifts way higher than the hedgerows. We were snowed in down our lane from Saturday until towards the end of the following week. The week off school was fun to say the least. 

Edited by John88B

Posted

From 1979 to 1989, I lived at the bottom of a steep hill which was the only way out of our South London estate. When snow was forecast, neighbours were usually v helpful and put the word around, ensuring that cars could be parked at the top of the hill before the snow fell. On the odd occasion that this failed, it was a matter of getting the shovels out and hoping that other neighbours were in the same boat! And you could almost see the net curtains twitching as some people waited for you to clear the snow to the top of the hill before they got their cars out and drove straight off! Worst occasions for snowfall (S London / Surrey) were Dec 1981 and Jan 1987.