Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Neilsouth

Metal Detecting

Not sure if anyone is interested but after two years of doing Metal Detecting with full insurance, permissions etc we've started a video channel as our weekly experiences!  I've always been a weather nut so to speak, and this is the best of both worlds. As I can look for history AND be out in the beautiful countryside ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnikWKdJK3hg-Ku21hAjEbQ

• Like 1

yep.... i detect, hence the voided longcross in my pic... been doing it properly (permission etc) for 20 years now.

interest is fading though, it gets harder to detect all day, and my sites are drying up.

Go on @mushymanrob, say it.... please...detecting isn't like it used to be in the good old days. :oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jtay said:

Go on @mushymanrob, say it.... please...detecting isn't like it used to be in the good old days. :oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

lol... tbh though...its TRUE!  see.... theres only so many things in the ground to be found.. after 40 years of detecting, a lot of sites have dried up! and thats despite far superior machines around today.

finding new ground to detect on is harder, because some landowners say no!... so those that say 'yes' have usually been 'detected to death' ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

lol... tbh though...its TRUE!  see.... theres only so many things in the ground to be found.. after 40 years of detecting, a lot of sites have dried up! and thats despite far superior machines around today.

finding new ground to detect on is harder, because some landowners say no!... so those that say 'yes' have usually been 'detected to death' ..

You never know, mushy - you might unearth a brand new genre of three-chord guitar music?😄

• Haha 1

Clacton beach is a favourite site for detectors, especially very early mornings during the summer where quite a lot of cash can be dug up, however there are a few die-hards who 'own' certain patches and get very arsey when anyone else tries to muscle in. 🙂

3 hours ago, fujita5 said:

Clacton beach is a favourite site for detectors, especially very early mornings during the summer where quite a lot of cash can be dug up, however there are a few die-hards who 'own' certain patches and get very arsey when anyone else tries to muscle in. 🙂

yes, theres a lot of modern money and jewelry to be found in certain areas.. experienced detectorists know where these goodies gather in the ever shifting sands, due to below sand ridges/nooks/cracks.. thats why some are arsey about 'their' patch.. theres some money to be made off these hot spots

this is my find from saturday... elizabeth 1st threepence dated 1572 ... worth about £30 so if i sold it it would pay my fuel costs! lol

lizzy.jpg

• Like 3

Still got my Laser Hawkeye, had a B3 before that, not managed to do a lot the last few years after moving 20 miles down the road , and a few permissions changing hands. Hopefully moving back  in the next  few months , so might have a chance to get out again.

Started back in the mid 90's , had some nice finds over the years.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1

saturdays roman site.... mainly 'grots', but a broken denarius and a broken brooch were nice enough finds

feb23cov.jpg

• Like 1