Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 1

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi Guys

I saw all the other Tours had a Thread and thought Tour 1 looked a little left out so here is YOUR Thread 

In under 3 months time we will be well into Tour 1 and hopefully some Southern Plains action and some text book Set-Ups. Who is out on Tour 1 this year and if you have any questions please ask away.

Myself, your drivers Jock, Richard and Martin will be arriving on the 2nd May to Set-Up everything up and test the equipment. The official arrival day is May 4th and the first official chase day is Sunday 5th May.

Cant wait to meet you all with the brand spanking shiny new Beast Cars and set off on this years adventure

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul and others,

I'm also on tour 1 and couldn't be more excided. I will be arriving on the 3rd may, to have an extra rest day, after more than 30 hours spent on different airports (Vienna- Amsterdam- NY- DFW). It will be my first time in tornado alley and I'm hoping to get some spectacularly structured storms that aren't really common here in Slovenia (wouldn't say no to a tornado or two). Fingers crossed for an active week, full of photogenic supercells and a better season than 2018. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you all,

Jernej 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Hi Jernej 

You are going to have a brilliant time on tour 1. 

The  great plains can produce some of the best structure you will ever see. 

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Has anyone got any advice on the best way to get mobile internet out on the great plains?

Im with Vodafone Ireland, so I'm thinking a US sim??

Cheers

Tadhg

Edited by Tadhg Diver

Posted

Vodafone UK do a roam like you're home option which includes the USA for £6 a day which I know a lot of guests have used in the past, not sure if Vodafone Ireland may have the same?

If not, you can pick up a payg phone / dongle / sim in Walmart no problems. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Hi fellow storm fans! 

It's great to get to know some of you already and get an idea who will be on tour 1. This will be my 8th year in a row chasing (yes, it can be addictive!) :-) I can't wait to get back out to tornado alley again and feel the juicy atmosphere and experience the most extreme weather in the world. Hopefully we are in for a good year this year after a quiet year last year. Bring on those mothership supercells and tornadoes! See you all soon. Olly. 

Posted

All of the tour 1 pre-departure info packs have been emailed out this morning, not long to go now!

If any of those on the tour haven't received a pack yet, please let me know and I'll resend. We can start looking at the forecast models for the start of the tour in a couple of days..

Posted

And so it begins...

The first glimpse of the setup we may see for the start of tour 1 for 2019. Not looking terrible either, perhaps a nice gentle and fairly local introduction to US storm chasing for our chase virgins on day 1 of the tour. 

tour1-1a.pngtour1-1.png

Chart on the left is the CAPE, which is the energy in the atmosphere for storms to use, right hand side is convective rainfall - eg rain from thunderstorms/thundery showers at that time.

Long, long way to go, so very likely to change - will update regularly in here as we get closer. (Anyone else following the models for this is also welcome to join in). 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Is that map showing 5000 CAPE and a Lifted Index of -12 in Southern Texas?

Posted

This morning's charts paint a pretty active picture for the start of tour 1. Mostly over Texas too. 

Day 1
cd1-prec.png cd1-cape.png

Day 2
cd2prec.pngcd2-cape.png

Day 3
cd3-prec.pngcd3-cape.png

Looks like the jet stream is never too far away at this time either, it's quite active right at the start of the tour (maybe best on arrival day, which could be a bonus chase day, potentially), then it weakens, but still with enough flow to help things along, before strengthening again initially with the main part of it to the north, but later it looks like it may reload further south. 

j1.png j2.png j3.png

All still a fair way off though, so still subject to lots of change, but definitely looking promising. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dark and moody with a dash of wind.

Hi Paul, looking forward to Tour 1 and the catchup. It doesn't seem that long since our epic photo tour last year. 

I will be arriving in Dallas on the 3 May at 15:10 and staying at the Best Western Irving. If there is a chance of a transfer that would be great but if you are sorting out the cars - no worries.

All best.

Melvyn

Posted
5 hours ago, Melvyn said:

Hi Paul, looking forward to Tour 1 and the catchup. It doesn't seem that long since our epic photo tour last year. 

I will be arriving in Dallas on the 3 May at 15:10 and staying at the Best Western Irving. If there is a chance of a transfer that would be great but if you are sorting out the cars - no worries.

All best.

Melvyn

Hi Melvyn, should be ok to send a car over to Car Rentals as we will be working on the cars most of Friday and usually have cars 2 and 3 done by late morning. 

Posted

As it stands as of Saturday 12z GFS run it looks like a Bonus Chase Day in the offing on Saturday and also quite a nice chase day on the Sunday as well in Kansas/Oklahoma.

Will put up some charts in a little bit, most of the Hodos are showing Tornado though - woohoo

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dark and moody with a dash of wind.

Thanks Paul. See you at the Car Rentals

Posted

Getting into the semi reliable for the start of Tour 1 now being only 6 days away.

Looks like there could be some overnight storms on Saturday and Sunday but the first chances of proper chasing look to be Monday 6th May

Thereafter am seeing a very favourable pattern for chasing numerous days on Tour 1 with plentiful moisture and decent upper support at 500mb with SW Flow at times, chase areas still up in the air but will become easier to nail down as we get to next weekend.

All in all very happy with the outlook for an active May 

Paul S

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Getting into the semi reliable for the start of Tour 1 now being only 6 days away.

Looks like there could be some overnight storms on Saturday and Sunday but the first chances of proper chasing look to be Monday 6th May

Thereafter am seeing a very favourable pattern for chasing numerous days on Tour 1 with plentiful moisture and decent upper support at 500mb with SW Flow at times, chase areas still up in the air but will become easier to nail down as we get to next weekend.

All in all very happy with the outlook for an active May 

Paul S

Hope it hold into tour 2 ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking a good start for Tour 1.

Some good opportunities for chasing over the southern High Plains this weekend, particularly for photographing supercell structures along the dry line moving out of NM into TX Panhandle, perhaps experience some large hail and an isolated brief tornado can't be ruled out either.

Today

day1.thumb.PNG.f0954cd5b5f3c4b335a7870046ef9683.PNG

Sunday

day2.thumb.PNG.c33479888fcfaedca05783a0a4583abe.PNG

Monday

day3.thumb.PNG.caa777f0467de8fed2a749329f15fd3d.PNG

Then the day 4-8 outlook indicates upper trough arriving over California early next week ejecting east across central US, enhancing severe weather risks, e.g. increased tornado potential, with severe risks moving east ahead of this trough.

Tuesday

day4.thumb.PNG.5bf77721fef50e85576d10a25233b57c.PNG

Wednesday

day5.thumb.PNG.a25f5963b48d35078a9409223c167713.PNG

Thursday

day6.thumb.PNG.d8d3658941aa1e5a0380691b2abbc53d.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hi. New to the forums. How do I get details about storm tours for next year 2020? Many thanks. 

I've been watching the live storm chasing from the US for the last couple of weeks. I also keep up to date with my charts, etc even though I am by no means an expert at all. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
20 minutes ago, Sharlou7 said:

Hi. New to the forums. How do I get details about storm tours for next year 2020? Many thanks. 

I've been watching the live storm chasing from the US for the last couple of weeks. I also keep up to date with my charts, etc even though I am by no means an expert at all. 

Here you go

https://www.weatherholidays.com/stormchase-usa/book.html