Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Brrrr, its a freezing mist here just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I'm never sure what to think anymore.

It was all sounding and looking great a few days ago in the model thread and now that's imploded.

It does feel as if cold and snow is getting harder to come by, which is upsetting, but it's still very early in the season.

Always a chance for us in Yorkshire to see something so let's hope the next chance around Christmas can deliver! And if we do get an SSW in Jan then every chance we'll get some snow.

I'm really hoping for the best ?️

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
18 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

what's everyone's thoughts on a snowy winter this year? or even into 2021?

I'll tell you towards the end of December. If you go and look at my average temperature for December since 1955 you'll see that  once a certain temperature you can wave bye bye for a cold winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Looking more and more likely that Christmas Day will at least be seasonal in our part of the world this year.

Snow is looking doubtful at the moment but with the pattern setting up as it appears to be at the moment a White Christmas cant be ruled out completely

Posted

Yes it's looking encouraging isn't it. Really hope it comes off!

Posted

Yes as you say possible flurries in eastern fringes frost elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

Christmas Eve has mean uppers of -7 for most of Yorkshire for all of Christmas Eve  ( range -4,4 to -10 ) ...chilly 

Now please can we have some precipitation !!

Edited by Jeremy Shockey

Posted

We have the precipitation gfs has the uppers warmer than -7C  at -4C and -5C a bit later as the prec eases off.  However it has raised the air temperatures somewhat. You never know though with a bit of cooling by the rain. I had a check on the odds and not worth a flutter as they are two short.

North yorks moors may see a dusting from light showers through xmas.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted

Nothing like getting your days mixed up so the above is a load of nonsense. A dry xmas day on the cards away from the coast unless we get a Brucey Bonus

• Like 1

Posted

spacer.pngEuro4 12z

Maybe East Yorkshire can get lucky on Christmas Eve

5 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

all quiet in here? chances of yorkshire seeing some white stuff in the next 10 days?

Very hopeful over the next 10 days Lee ........28th Dec until 4th Jan will bring plenty of opportunity for many in Yorkshire i suspect

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.png Harmonie 6z precipitation

Looking good for the Wolds , Moors and a few other parts of Yorkshire for some snow showers on Christmas Eve

That be great if that feature reaches center of Yorkshire ✌

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Right....I’m living in Lincolnshire now. Is this the correct regional forum?

What are we hunting for - convective NE feed? Straight easterly? Fill me with local knowledge. 27 years of waiting for channel lows in Somerset has worn down my soul. Saw 2 in all that time...

• Like 4

Posted

Pity the rain is moving away now as the temps are drifting slowly down it hung around it could have been interesting, Beeb still saying it's mild here. A max of 5.1C isn't mild. Cold air further south than they think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
5 hours ago, Catacol said:

Right....I’m living in Lincolnshire now. Is this the correct regional forum?

What are we hunting for - convective NE feed? Straight easterly? Fill me with local knowledge. 27 years of waiting for channel lows in Somerset has worn down my soul. Saw 2 in all that time...

Technically it is the right forum, though it should be called Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, rather Yorkshire and Eastern England (which other eastern county is included that isn't Yorkshire?)

Lincs Observation or Sparky might have a view on this, but from my time living here, anything even remotely close to marginal will be rain or sleet if you're within 10 miles of the coast and Northerlies are rarely much good - we need at least some eastern component for any snow to do more than skirt the coast, though sometimes a straight N can generate a streamer from The Humber - good if you live in Scunny or Brigg. The Lincs Wolds are usually the sweet spot  but if we get anything from the east, the Lincoln edge is also pretty good.  We're not a great county for snow (at least in the last 10 years or so), but we do get some stellar storms in the summer.

Where abouts have you set up?

Posted

Welcome to the regional @Catacol 

Good to have you with us! 

Hopefully some snow chances over the next week or so for us in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire!

Models continue to look interesting so let's hope we see do see some of the magical white stuff ❄️☃️?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Technically it is the right forum, though it should be called Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, rather Yorkshire and Eastern England (which other eastern county is included that isn't Yorkshire?)

Lincs Observation or Sparky might have a view on this, but from my time living here, anything even remotely close to marginal will be rain or sleet if you're within 10 miles of the coast and Northerlies are rarely much good - we need at least some eastern component for any snow to do more than skirt the coast, though sometimes a straight N can generate a streamer from The Humber - good if you live in Scunny or Brigg. The Lincs Wolds are usually the sweet spot  but if we get anything from the east, the Lincoln edge is also pretty good.  We're not a great county for snow (at least in the last 10 years or so), but we do get some stellar storms in the summer.

Where abouts have you set up?

I’m in a village that looks to be about 10 miles SW of Horncastle as the crow flies, and maybe 15 miles west of Skegness. Lincoln is not too far to the NW. Good to be here, and hoping for a bit more white stuff than was ever the case in the SW!

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I’m in a village that looks to be about 10 miles SW of Horncastle as the crow flies, and maybe 15 miles west of Skegness. Lincoln is not too far to the NW. Good to be here, and hoping for a bit more white stuff than was ever the case in the SW!

Great to have you in here mate . Lincolnshire can do very well in battleground scenarios when the cold air hangs on in the east! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
42 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Great to have you here and all the knowledge you bring!

Perfect timing for what will hopefully be a prolonged cold spell round these parts too! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

You're pretty well placed there - I used to live 6 or 7 miles to your east on the southern tip of the Wolds and I did a lot better for snow than I do here.  

Posted

Just outside our front door this morning at 6.15 this morning, a cold Northerly wind blowing, but not quite cold enough for it to stick around. Its soft hail, which we get quite often in the winter when we get showers blowing off the North Sea

20201224_061556_resized.jpg

• Like 3