Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
damianslaw

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

Snow here and already a thick covering over everything (prob a few cm's in depth). Due to be a lot more this morning as well, going to be a 'fun' school run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Snow here and already a thick covering over everything (prob a few cm's in depth). Due to be a lot more this morning as well, going to be a 'fun' school run.

Yes great big flakes here in East Morton for a while. Lovely surprise to wake up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy snow on Snake pass,very slow going,not a gritter or plough in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whatever happened to the bitter north winds that brought heavy frequent snow showers to east Yorkshire?.totally absent the last few years.one of the main reasons why hull and east Yorkshire have seen hardly any snow since 2010.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turned to rain here around 9am. Still some of the snow lingering around as its not rained much today / snowed since, although the radar is lively.

Met has us for Heavy snow from 3pm till past Midnight, I will believe it when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cowdog said:

Turned to rain here around 9am. Still some of the snow lingering around as its not rained much today / snowed since, although the radar is lively.

Met has us for Heavy snow from 3pm till past Midnight, I will believe it when it happens.

More showers showing on radar now!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain here.

Some models now suggesting the front might make it on Thursday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nasty sleet showers, you can see the icy bits hitting the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cheese said:

Nasty sleet showers, you can see the icy bits hitting the window.

Yes even had some sleet here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current shower over north Leeds at 130m is raining, zero sign of anything sleety. Literally up the hill at 186m just got sent a video of it snowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to the bitter north winds that brought heavy frequent snow showers to east Yorkshire?.totally absent the last few years.one of the main reasons why hull and east Yorkshire have seen hardly any snow since 2010.

What about late February and March 2018? That was an Easterly with quiet a bit of Snow here in South Yorkshire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thoughts on thursday anyone? 

 

chances of the low getting into parts of our region? or do we stand a better chance saturday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a small correction North for the majority of Yorkshire to get lucky with snow on Thur.........it could happen though. The snow will be on the Northern flank and the uppers look cold enough ( and it all comes in the very early morning so the timing is right ) We just need a 100 mile correction N

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The models are showing alot of uncertainty to the northern extent of the low so we can't read too much into the position of it yet. I do think it'll be mostly higher ground event around 150m+ if we do see a favourable track. Maybe localised accumulations down to 100m.

For now keep up to date with the meto Yorkshire and Humber text forecast found at the bottom of the local forecast page. 

Quote

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Early frosts and a few wintry showers, but some bright spells. Turning increasingly wet and windy Friday with afternoon hill snow. Saturday brighter with showers and remaining windy.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Tue 25 Feb 2020

The local forecasts going for snow here we well.

563500454_Screenshot_20200225-1618162.thumb.png.adcc917f0ada4b61b237ae724baedccd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Amazing how badly you do, do you blame the eastern location or latitude. 

Only in 2014 have i never experienced lying snow. 

..

Snowed here in LS12 too, turned to rain about 9am. Some small patches made it through before melting.

Next chance seems to be Fri/Sat.

Both really. The majority of snow events in recent years have been marginal in nature, so being 7m ASL only 9 miles from the North sea means they have resulted in nothing.

As mentioned above, we dont seem to have been able to get strong setups in recent years. The couple of times we did in Feb/Mar 2018 the precipitation dodged us and we barely had 1cm.

It's generally a couple of degrees too warm now most of the time. We need a good setup with -8C 850hPa temps or lower that lasts for more than 24hrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lying snow line is about 350m at present in Saddleworth where I am, we've got a long way to go. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temps down to 2.5c here now, but typically the showers are drying up just as it's cold enough to see snow. Radar looks crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2020 at 17:07, reef said:

It'll be 3 out of the last 7 winters without any here and two of those had only dustings, so 5 out of 7 really. Totally abysmal.

Has being poor since Jan 2013 apart from Feb/March 2018 here just had dustings or coverings that have melted in an few hours but i can only remember 2013/14 being snowless here this will be second one if we dont get any snow this winter im about 5 miles west of Hull in Hessle. All we seem to get is north west winds which are even rubbish for most of the north west below 100 metres or near the coast because jst get rain/sleet unless really cold uppers.  Good for Buxton and the peaks high ground of north west Scotland etc  useless for near enough everywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, reef said:

Both really. The majority of snow events in recent years have been marginal in nature, so being 7m ASL only 9 miles from the North sea means they have resulted in nothing.

As mentioned above, we dont seem to have been able to get strong setups in recent years. The couple of times we did in Feb/Mar 2018 the precipitation dodged us and we barely had 1cm.

It's generally a couple of degrees too warm now most of the time. We need a good setup with -8C 850hPa temps or lower that lasts for more than 24hrs.

Do you recall your depth in Dec 10 and Jan 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the Met Office website now suggests the front will reach here on Thursday then even if it does look light.

As for anything tonight there is shower activity (the stuff for Leeds looks to come from Lancaster so follow the showers). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp now showing 2c and dew point 1c at leeds bradford airport. Can't see it dropping much further not shaw the 850s of -5/-6 will be quite low enough for any snow tonight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Temp now showing 2c and dew point 1c at leeds bradford airport. Can't see it dropping much further not shaw the 850s of -5/-6 will be quite low enough for any snow tonight.  

Snow line (falling) in the Midlands thread has gone below 80m so i'd not be too concerned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

Snow line (falling) in the Midlands thread has gone below 80m so i'd not be too concerned. 

Problem is their 850s are expected to be a bit lower than ours as the coldest wedge of the air flow is just south of us. Also I expect shower activity to be much stronger through the midlands with the cheshire gap perhaps coming into play later. 

Hope I'm wrong but can't see any more than the odd slushy deposit overnight.

arpege-16-11-0.png

arpege-16-18-0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • The Jet Stream is coming next week, bringing Autumn with it

    It had to happen at some point, and from Tuesday next weeka0Autumn proper is going to arrive. The jet stream will be diving south, bringing low pressure systems right across the UK which means a change to much less settled and also cooler weather. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

    Michael Fish: Autumn proper on the way

    Michael Fish returns with his latest weekly forecast, and there's a big change on the way. The weekend and start of next week will keep the sunny, warm and mostly dry weather coming before low pressure makes its move and brings a change to much more Autumnal weather.a0 Watch the video here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...