Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

A nice Christmas day weather wise looks like being followed by a bit of dog for boxing day with plenty of cold rain about. Snow hunters will probably need the highest peaks in north Yorkshire too see a bit of wet snow and to get up early.  Hopefully we will get some Snow in January. Otherwise we could be looking at one of the worst years we had for Snow or lack off. The winter of 2002/3 is a record we don't want to get near. Just 3 days in January and that's it......

Well this year is the 2nd wettest on record but will come far behind the wettest ever in 2012 with 1217mm.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Northern end of that band will not push much further Eastwards now but the Southern end will continue to swing up from the SW in a North Easterly direction meaning that the band will eventually be

Well today was a great day really after the snow disappointment. It's been very cold, only maxed out at -1.7 on my station so a good ice day. The trees looked brilliant with thick frost on them.

Posted Images

Could this weekend bring some of the highest December temps ever with the air flow coming up from the far southwest.

Does anyone know what the max December temp is for the Yorkshire area ?

11 minutes ago, Luppy said:

Could this weekend bring some of the highest December temps ever with the air flow coming up from the far southwest.

Does anyone know what the max December temp is for the Yorkshire area ?

With it being fairly cloudy I doubt any records will be set. Local forecast has just nine for us. I'd expect us to get around 10C to 12C here.

OK, it didn't happen in Yorkshire but I feel somewhat vindicated with my prediction with Sutherland in Scotland reaching 16.8 deg at 03.00hrs this morning, making it the warmest end of Dec night on record  !!

Odds increasing for a Snow free Winter here just one day with a small dusting on the moors visible from the bedroom windows. Shows how very poor this winter has been.

25 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Tis frosty, icy and foggy here tonight ..  brrrr.

Happy New Year to all  .. 

BL   ?

4.9C here and slowly warming up.

Been over to Hollingsworth Lake to meet some friends for a walk, bloody miserable weather wise low cloud and drizzle top of M62 proper low cloud and damp 6oC, suns out back home

2 hours ago, fazzafarrand said:

Been over to Hollingsworth Lake to meet some friends for a walk, bloody miserable weather wise low cloud and drizzle top of M62 proper low cloud and damp 6oC, suns out back home

Not bad on top in the peak district round Tissington this morning. Some drizzle showers otherwise okay. Breeze made taking photos a bit annoying at times.

Well if the GFS is right and we keep the cold uppers the peak district peaks may see some Snow briefly during Thursday night. Considering this was no chance yesterday it's very unlikely but we will see.

5 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

Could be snow on Thursday if the forecast holds up, Met office also going for wintry weather.

Not now the cold uppers have been pushed further north although maybe the northern most areas may catch a bit Small chance of back edge snow as the cold uppers come back but the rain will probably too light for that. Could change again but I would put snow at less than 10%.

3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Not now the cold uppers have been pushed further north although maybe the northern most areas may catch a bit Small chance of back edge snow as the cold uppers come back but the rain will probably too light for that. Could change again but I would put snow at less than 10%.

Yeah but it's dependant on whether the system is north or not. The 12z shows it north but it's definitely not set in stone, I'd expect some flip flopping so we'll see.

Just now, Cheese Rice said:

Yeah but it's dependant on whether the system is north or not. The 12z shows it north but it's definitely not set in stone, I'd expect some flip flopping so we'll see.

I'll just go for whats happening this none winter so far. Any cold air always pushed out of the way before the rain sets in.