Jump to content

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Gutted I missed this event, even at my parents house they managed to get about 30-35cm. They said they hadn't seen anything like it since the late 70s / early 80s. It will happen again one day ?

That is getting along the right lines so we did see a bit of a blocked pattern for the first half of January although the cold was mainly sent down to the alps:

image.thumb.png.6096e329322f9a2de5a42e2fcc37200a.png Dec 2018

Compare that to December 2010 and the wamrth in the relevant areas was much more pronounced:

image.thumb.png.90d7ef925b4e14438366dffb90341078.png Dec 2010

That month saw a southerly tracking jet which allowed high pressure to build around Greenland more easily.

 

We'll have to keep our eyes on this. December 2010 was roughly 18 months after the last solar minimum? Hopefully the Atlantic SST's will play ball :cold-emoji:

While I'm still very optimistic of further snow this year, even as late as April, I think our next shot at a 2010 style winter will be Decembers of 2021 and 2022 (assuming this current minimum ends mid 2019 and SC25 is underway by end of this year). Curiously winter 2022/23 would be 60 years since the great cold/snow of 1962/63. This would be bang on the 60 year cooling/warming cycle that is seen in various temp records. (Won't the QBO be in an easterly phase by winter 2022 too?)

Maybe you should move to the Wolds before then? make sure you maximise your snow chances? hell, you'll probably get faster and cheaper broadband too ? Do you still have to pay extortionate rates for KCOM? My daughter found she had to use her mobile phone mobile data connection for internet when she moved there because KCOM were stupidly expensive.

Edited by OldLandRover
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Northern end of that band will not push much further Eastwards now but the Southern end will continue to swing up from the SW in a North Easterly direction meaning that the band will eventually be

Well today was a great day really after the snow disappointment. It's been very cold, only maxed out at -1.7 on my station so a good ice day. The trees looked brilliant with thick frost on them.

Posted Images

Last day of cold which maybe the last for fair while as we are set for a zonal flow. Perhaps we may get a few colder pulses as the systems push through. At least we may get some welcome rain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A beautiful morning here in Firby, currently -3c after a low of -7c.

1180757333_Preview_NorthView_01_20190203_084027_1090000.thumb.jpg.5dcf03a430871b7a8e8f1d61a94d5d7d.jpgPreview_Camera1_01_20190203_083453_755765.thumb.jpg.a9ece1d24da667703926eea076558dc9.jpg

One of my weather stations in the nearby Yorkshire Wolds fell to -13c overnight with many other down to into minus double digits.

1 hour ago, SouthYorks said:

@vizzy2004 You were right re overnight temps in Hutton.  I know car outside temp readings are not the most accurate, but should give a good guide.  This pic was taken at 6.50am so temps probably already on the rise!

A838F4F5-DA54-4DF6-AA54-E7BCDF30A18C.jpeg

Nearby Farndale and my station at Rosedale Abbey both fell to -10c overnight.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

 

Nearby Farndale and my station at Rosedale Abbey both fell to -10c overnight.

North of the moors we have had more breeze but it managed -5.5
Heavy snow showers most of yesterday, but it thawed slowly and there is still only about 6".
Apparently it was rough over the moors with drifting and weekend traffic.

Today should be OK up there, but minor roads are generally not gritted or minimally gritted so best avoided.
Even if your vehicle is capable something else might be blocking the road, don't be the one to get stuck and cause chaos.

curr24hourgraph.thumb.gif.9f409ea393b16cbbc70de3deeb60384b.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

My car was showing -9 at 6am this morning, it had risen to -4 by time I went out again at 8am. 

 

Outlook looks much milder next week but uncertainty following week, hints of staying mild but also possibly turning colder again. 

Usual case this far out, one to watch though over next few days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Last day of cold which maybe the last for fair while as we are set for a zonal flow. Perhaps we may get a few colder pulses as the systems push through. At least we may get some 

We dont really need an wet spell were normal to above across the Yorkshire region were not desperate for rain cant speak for rest of country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going through all our photos of the kids, house and Land Rovers taken since we moved into this house in North Lincs 18 years ago. I have made a note of all the months were we have a photo of laying snow on the ground (not necessarily falling in that month though). Snow may have fallen in months not listed here simply because we never took a photo but it sure looks like snow is becoming more common for us in our particular location. There appears to be a long period between 2003 and 2009 that we have hardly any photos showing snow, not sure if that was just down to us not taking photos or it really was a 'snow drought'?

Dec 2002
Jan 2003
Nov 2005
Dec 2005
Mar 2006
Dec 2009
Jan 2010
Oct 2010
Nov 2010
Dec 2010
Jan 2011
Feb 2012
Dec 2012
Jan 2013
Feb 2013
Mar 2013
Jan 2015
Dec 2017
Jan 2018
Feb 2018
Mar 2018
Apr 2018

Are we just an exception due to being in a rural area next to a hill or has anybody else noticed this? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OldLandRover said:

We'll have to keep our eyes on this. December 2010 was roughly 18 months after the last solar minimum? Hopefully the Atlantic SST's will play ball :cold-emoji:

While I'm still very optimistic of further snow this year, even as late as April, I think our next shot at a 2010 style winter will be Decembers of 2021 and 2022 (assuming this current minimum ends mid 2019 and SC25 is underway by end of this year). Curiously winter 2022/23 would be 60 years since the great cold/snow of 1962/63. This would be bang on the 60 year cooling/warming cycle that is seen in various temp records. (Won't the QBO be in an easterly phase by winter 2022 too?)

Maybe you should move to the Wolds before then? make sure you maximise your snow chances? hell, you'll probably get faster and cheaper broadband too ? Do you still have to pay extortionate rates for KCOM? My daughter found she had to use her mobile phone mobile data connection for internet when she moved there because KCOM were stupidly expensive.

Yeah perhaps next winter will see the scales tip and we see more cold on our side of the Atlantic... one can hope. Don't get me started on KCOM ?,  they are still slow and expensive and we have no other choice. I'd love to move to the Wolds hahaha maybe when I'm old but for now I'll probably have to move south (for jobs ? ). It's ironic that the best snow event I've experienced in the last 10 years was at the start of March, last year in Southampton. -4C at midday with heavy powdery snow and a brutal east wind is something I may not experience again for a very long time.

February 2009 was also good in Northampton (yes I went to both Northampton and Southampton uni lol) when I was there as we saw very deep snow cover but it sounded like December 2010 easily beat both of those. I came back to Hull at Christmas and it was extremely cold though most of the snow earlier that month had gone and it was very dry and crisp (still very nice and seasonal mind).  

Edited by Quicksilver1989
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 4wd said:

North of the moors we have had more breeze but it managed -5.5
Heavy snow showers most of yesterday, but it thawed slowly and there is still only about 6".
Apparently it was rough over the moors with drifting and weekend traffic.

Today should be OK up there, but minor roads are generally not gritted or minimally gritted so best avoided.
Even if your vehicle is capable something else might be blocking the road, don't be the one to get stuck and cause chaos.

curr24hourgraph.thumb.gif.9f409ea393b16cbbc70de3deeb60384b.gif

Dalby was quite something today, blue skies and around 6 inches of snow with temps still below freezing.

DyffHyzWkAEVLFS.jpgDyffHy6WwAYwOE3.jpgDyffHzPXgAEU-6r.jpgDyffHzKWwAIqbjo.jpg

There were some lads walking across the Lake today, very brave indeed but I imagine it was minus double digits at the Staindale Lake overnight.

Coldest station in the Moors last night was Chop Gate at -12.2c.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

yes it was a bit of a surprise here in SW Sheffield, the frostiest the car has been so far this year! so much for milder weather (mind you, we had seen a gritter last night heading up Ecclesall Road on a mission, when we were coming back from music class around 8pm)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kathryn Atkin said:

yes it was a bit of a surprise here in SW Sheffield, the frostiest the car has been so far this year! so much for milder weather (mind you, we had seen a gritter last night heading up Ecclesall Road on a mission, when we were coming back from music class around 8pm)

Hehe, yep, I think some people in the model thread need to moderate their use of 'mild' or 'warm' ?

It has only just got up to +4.7c here and there is still frost on the grass and garden furniture in the shade. 

My definition of temperatures would be roughly:

'Hot' = I can work outside in shorts and no shirt

'warm' = I can work outside in shorts and a t-shirt

'mild' = I can work outside in jeans and a t-shirt

'cool' = I can just about drag myself outdoors as long as I have a thick jumper on and I'm not out there long (current situation)

'Cold' = I avoid working outside at all

?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although it's not been a particularly cold/memorable winter so far.. ?

It sort of feels weird, not to look at the incoming band of rain at the moment - and try not to work out the ( dewpoint/850s/height ) etc.. for snow to fall.

Never seem too have an intensity issue, when it's plain old rain that falls ?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this a potential snow event for our region on Sunday or what?

ECM1-96.gif

Depends on the track and certainly marginal but possible I would say.  Could actually be some blizzard conditions on the Northern flank of the low ?

Edited by Kentish Snowman
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman said:

So is this a potential snow event for our region on Sunday or what?

ECM1-96.gif

Depends on the track and certainly marginal but possible I would say.  Could actually be some blizzard conditions on the Northern flank of the low ?

I take a break for a few days as nothing was showing now sunday is in play!! wow :) could be good 

 

please let it be us this time! :) 

 

 

Arctic Cyclone... Ignore all of the reports in the media this morning. Friday into Saturday will deliver widespread severe gales and heavy rain and then we see some colder air filtering in from the north, only for a short time which would introduce some snow showers across northern areas for a time. The flow soon topples into Monday PM. Nothing severe expected in terms of wintry weather.

Lewis

 

Edited by LeeSnowFan
Link to post
Share on other sites

A chillier than expected 3.0c this morning with many reports of snow across the Trans Pennine routes.

The outlook does seem to have improved vastly for coldies in the mid term over the last 24 hours so let's hope the models continue to firm up on this later today.

C'mon the Beast!  ?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup observed sleet this morning and there was snow on the cat and fiddle cam.

The strong winds today didn't turn the low pressure tracking south.

The met office have removed warnings for here tomorrow so it will probably be very windy. To be honest the met office warning system isn't fit for the purpose and most of the time is simply wrong or fails to reflect the changing conditions or fails to even recognise that something which isn't normal is happening.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...