Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards


damianslaw
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton

    Marginality incoming. All snow >160m inland, to lower levels the general trend of the freezing level will be to rise shortly after the ppn arrives. Before it lifts expect a few flakes down to sea level or rain. As the inversion lifts (if your temp rises before the ppn this is what's happening). This erosion will expose the true lapse rate temperature which will reflect a 150m snow line and therefore sleet 20-140m, before the snow line will be falling gradually due to evap cooling. Areas between 50 & 150m have a fair shot at evaporative cooling induced snowfall before marginality kicks in. All depends on ppn intensity.

    The situation in the NW is tempermented by a maritime warm layer which may produce ice pellet / snow mix in light / heavy ppn as light ppn will not erode the precip. This will produce a mix of marginality & coverings at low levels, all snow >250m which is sufficiently close to the warm layer ceiling to avoid a mix.

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl

    Rain stopped again here and the moon is still shining! Heavier stuff looks to be incoming from York so will see what it falls as! I'm just shy of 100m asl so not expecting much. Will be driving past Birstall IKEA on the M62 at about 5:30 so may see a covering up there perhaps! 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    21 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

    Marginality incoming. All snow >160m inland, to lower levels the general trend of the freezing level will be to rise shortly after the ppn arrives. Before it lifts expect a few flakes down to sea level or rain. As the inversion lifts (if your temp rises before the ppn this is what's happening). This erosion will expose the true lapse rate temperature which will reflect a 150m snow line and therefore sleet 20-140m, before the snow line will be falling gradually due to evap cooling. Areas between 50 & 150m have a fair shot at evaporative cooling induced snowfall before marginality kicks in. All depends on ppn intensity.

    The situation in the NW is tempermented by a maritime warm layer which may produce ice pellet / snow mix in light / heavy ppn as light ppn will not erode the precip. This will produce a mix of marginality & coverings at low levels, all snow >250m which is sufficiently close to the warm layer ceiling to avoid a mix.

    I hope we can rely on your expertise in short range forecasting through this interesting month to come!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton
    7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

    I hope we can rely on your expertise in short range forecasting through this interesting month to come!

    I'm sure there will be some interesting snow assessments.

    Maybe soon we'll be talking about the powder snow line (-0.8C DP under normal lapse rates) to predict the drifting snow line (a function of dew points & windspeeds) & SLRS nationwide. 😃

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
    31 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

    Marginality incoming. All snow >160m inland, to lower levels the general trend of the freezing level will be to rise shortly after the ppn arrives. Before it lifts expect a few flakes down to sea level or rain. As the inversion lifts (if your temp rises before the ppn this is what's happening). This erosion will expose the true lapse rate temperature which will reflect a 150m snow line and therefore sleet 20-140m, before the snow line will be falling gradually due to evap cooling. Areas between 50 & 150m have a fair shot at evaporative cooling induced snowfall before marginality kicks in. All depends on ppn intensity.

    The situation in the NW is tempermented by a maritime warm layer which may produce ice pellet / snow mix in light / heavy ppn as light ppn will not erode the precip. This will produce a mix of marginality & coverings at low levels, all snow >250m which is sufficiently close to the warm layer ceiling to avoid a mix.

    brilliant stuff , thanks Kasim

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors

    Evaporative cooling has now kicked in and we have wet snow falling. Temp 0.5c dew 0.0c

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
    2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

    Evaporative cooling has now kicked in and we have wet snow falling. Temp 0.5c dew 0.0c

    same here Andy ......back to wet snow here at a very low altitude in the heavier bursts

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    8 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

    I'm sure there will be some interesting snow assessments.

    Maybe soon we'll be talking about the powder snow line (-0.8C DP under normal lapse rates) to predict the drifting snow line (a function of dew points & windspeeds) & SLRS nationwide. 😃

    Wow! I hope we can mate hahaha! Were lucky to have you on here

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!
  • Location: Lincolnshire

    Some snow on the ground here in Market Rasen, Lincs. 

    Only 25m above sea level. Just shows that surprises can pop up anywhere:)

    20201229_041838.jpg

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl

    Some flakes coming down in the lamp post light now though may be sleet. Frost has disappeared! 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL

    Just woke up guys! This looks really good! About to hit here now!!! 1.5c -1c dew. Looks like no mixing in the air so far! 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
  • Location: Garforth, Leeds 86m asl

    It's definitely sleet here, and light at that. The heavier stuff seems to be taking an age to arrive. Would expect some temporary snow when it does. Hopefully!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
    1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

    snow is falling 🙂

    Looks like elevation is helping loads in Barnsley! Were right on the pivot.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Barnsley 125asl
  • Location: Barnsley 125asl
    Just now, Craigers said:

    Looks like elevation is helping loads in Barnsley! Were right on the pivot.

    about time too!! 😛 looking forward to walking the dog in a couple of hours 🙂 hopefully will still be snowing or at least a covering

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...