Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
19 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

That area just north of Leeds is getting absolutely clobbered. I'd say somewhere around Skipton/Ilkley is getting a good covering

It's mostly sleet/rain with a few flakes mixed in even here in Otley at 100m elevation. Just been for a drive to the top of the otley chevin about 300m and propper snow their settling nicely albeit a tad wet. 

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
17 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Thank you buddy its the first year being brave enough to test my thinking publicly post.

I got last year correct but i didnt want to be but the potential here is astronomical if it goes as planned (although we kmow with the weather it tends not to!) But so far so good were reading the script

We all know it’s a hard script to read buddy and you haven’t been wrong so far, some people forget this is early in the winter and that we need to get the cold in place first then the snow will follow models are on side for this moving into January so some exciting times a head for sure reading and watching

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

any snow for Doncaster tomorrow

Posted
13 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

We all know it’s a hard script to read buddy and you haven’t been wrong so far, some people forget this is early in the winter and that we need to get the cold in place first then the snow will follow models are on side for this moving into January so some exciting times a head for sure reading and watching

Its incredibly excited.

I dont think people fully grasp what we are staring down.

We are looking at another 63 or 47 if things unravel!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its incredibly excited.

Looks like everyone is taking you seriously now haha.  Never experienced an easterly in early January!!!!!

Posted

Looking at the GFS 12z, the WAA into Eastern Europe means the easterly is weak in terms of cold uppers. Cold surface but i’m seeing mostly sleet on lower altitude.  Longer term we get a cold northerly but mostly dry away from the coasts due to the normal wishbone effect.  Still much better than last year and chance of something more exciting in the longer term.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
32 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its incredibly excited.

I wouldn’t dare say those dates buddy lol, but definitely exciting and your correct

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, The Future said:

Looking at the GFS 12z, the WAA into Eastern Europe means the easterly is weak in terms of cold uppers. Cold surface but i’m seeing mostly sleet on lower altitude.  Longer term we get a cold northerly but mostly dry away from the coasts due to the normal wishbone effect.  Still much better than last year and chance of something more exciting in the longer term.

Difference this time its early January so could be colder than the uppers show

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
19 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Looks like everyone is taking you seriously now haha.  Never experienced an easterly in early January!!!!!

I've experienced a few mostly in late 70s and early 80s and one in mid 90s. 

With temperatures mostly below zero you get very little snowmelt even with sun out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its incredibly excited.

I think a lot of people are just airing on the side of caution. A lot of us have experienced some almighty let downs in the past and I'm talking about north easterlies with -15 to -20 uppers forecast to dump bucket loads of snow over the east at just 96 hours out (18z output) to shift a couple of hundred miles south on the next mornings (6z output) having france and germany absolutely paggered whilst we stay cold and dry.. 

Also I've experienced an easterly in january with seemingly decent uppers with heavy snow accumulations forecast all week, to end up with heavy wet snow every day and a horrible couple inches of slush.. Funny thing is first night of the easterly everything was going to plan, light powdery snow falling, turning heavier as I went to sleep with a couple of inches already accumulated, was expecting a bucket load by morning with days of it to come! Woke up to a slush mess, that was the biggest let down of all time!   

I'm going to have a look see if I can dig up the charts of these events.

So while things are looking good, massive caution is advised this early, I say just enjoy the ride and what ever will be will be.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

I think a lot of people are just airing on the side of caution. A lot of us have experienced some almighty let downs in the past and I'm talking about north easterlies with -15 to -20 uppers forecast to dump bucket loads of snow over the east at just 96 hours out (18z output) to shift a couple of hundred miles south on the next mornings (6z output) having france and germany absolutely paggered whilst we stay cold and dry! 

Also I've experienced an easterly in january with seemingly decent uppers with heavy snow accumulations forecast all week, to end up with heavy wet snow every day and a horrible couple inches of slush.. Funny thing is first night of the easterly everything was going to plan, light powdery snow falling, turning heavier as I went to sleep with a couple of inches already accumulated, was expecting a bucket load by morning with days of it to come! Woke up to a slush mess, that was the biggest let down of all time!  

I'm going to have a look see if I can dig up the charts of these events.

So while things are looking good, massive caution is advised this early, I say just enjoy the ride and what ever will be will be.

Of course its natural to be cautious but i am really struggling to talk myself out of this one. 

Cautious it is tho

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Absolute carnage on the A59 between Skipton and Harrogate this evening. Snowing down to 100m asl an no sign of the streamer letting up any time soon.

kexgill1.thumb.jpg.bbab9d9744ec6f713b9b816fd55c444f.jpgkexgill2.thumb.jpg.56f377f6987a9c11c045fa4913c645a2.jpgsummerscales.thumb.jpg.1723e1b873bab0eac8c7a415e0529834.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Is it me or is that stream of showers whats been going over north of bradford,moving south a bit? ?

It is moving south gradually and temps here dropping nicely too  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
5 minutes ago, Craigers said:

It is moving south gradually and temps here dropping nicely too  

How long will it keep up you think? Moving down towards leeds latitude now this next band to the west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
9 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

How long will it keep up you think? Moving down towards leeds latitude now this next band to the west

Looks to be dying out slowly now.  Think we might have to wait until tomorrow evening for the fun and games to start in South Yorkshire....if we get lucky that is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Looks to be dying now. No big loss though as mostly rain and sleet.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Wow that streamer over Harrogate is causing some problems over there. Would love this to move down across West Yorkshire but I think it looks like it will die away before it hits us unfortunately

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Over on the MO thread they mention the front currently coming from northwest is furth east. Definetly looks to be, good news for us? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looks like that front is breaking up now. Does look like we now might have to keep our fingers crossed for tomorrow night for west and South Yorkshire now. Can’t see much for us tonight now unfortunately. Let’s see if we can fall abit more lucky tomorrow night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈
1 minute ago, terrier said:

Looks like that front is breaking up now. Does look like we now might have to keep our fingers crossed for tomorrow night for west and South Yorkshire now. Can’t see much for us tonight now unfortunately. Let’s see if we can fall abit more lucky tomorrow night. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Over on the MO thread they mention the front currently coming from northwest is furth east. Definetly looks to be, good news for us? 

Just look at this. Much further east!

Screenshot_20201227-202420_Chrome.thumb.jpg.22c84227244bfaa67391f29b40bb1e91.jpgScreenshot_20201227-202439_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ebbbeb03b61a51094e7a7eb08a68a825.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

looking at the short range Netwx-sr and Netwx-mr  it seems further west than predicted.