Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Some decent sized hailstones and a big crack of thunder in and around Garforth about an hour ago unexpectedly! 

Posted

Quite a storm over the Wolds between Driffield and Malton, had a couple of rumbles here, but looking at track it is going to the North of us looks like it will pass over the coast a round Filey Edit: structure changed and now heading more our way, still hearing rumbles.

Edited by mike57
update
  • Like 1

Posted

Storm has now been rumbling around for well over an hour, the path of the centre has been quite erratic initially it was moving NE, now moving ESE and is to the south of Bridlington, moving slowly off into the North Sea. Quite a bit of lightning visible now its dark and 5 second rule is giving 4-5 miles distance. Radar is showing hail now over a small area, but I dont know how accurate weather type is on the radar.

• Like 1

Posted

Half an inch of hail on the ground at my folks home in Sproatley close to Hull at the moment. The radar shows a rapidly forming cell over the area which is almost stationary.

Posted

Did anyone directly experience the storm(s) that moved to the south of us last night, according to the Hull Daily Mail it was a 'supercell' storm. https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/lightning-hail-storm-east-yorkshire-4546823 The closest one to me I saw it on radar between Driffield and Malton, over the Wolds moving NE before it swung ESE and off into the North Sea south of Bridlington.

There may have been others.

This morning its 50mph gusts from the North, really howling

Edited by mike57
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Didn't seem too dramatic here, but there was several lightening flashes and soft rumbles of thunder.
I thought I heard small hail in the night but couldn't drag myself from a warm bed to check, lol
Certainly very squally this morning.

B.   

Posted
33 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Did anyone directly experience the storm(s) that moved to the south of us last night, according to the Hull Daily Mail it was a 'supercell' storm. https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/lightning-hail-storm-east-yorkshire-4546823 The closest one to me I saw it on radar between Driffield and Malton, over the Wolds moving NE before it swung ESE and off into the North Sea south of Bridlington.

There may have been others.

This morning its 50mph gusts from the North, really howling

I experienced the storm over Leeds, was possibly the most intense storm I have witnessed. It started at around 15:30 as a few rumbles and the odd lightning flash with some light rain and it seemed to pass over but then stalled. About an hour later all hell broke lose, the sky turned green and I noticed definite rotation as the storm seemed to pivot back towards us. The lightning was then constant and I have never seen hail like that before in my life, the whole road was white over for hours afterwards. It lasted around 3 hours in total.

If it wasn’t a supercell then I can only imagine what a true one must be like!

• Like 1

Posted

What a dreadful night to be spending in a caravan on the North Yorkshire coast, with gale force northerly winds and driving rain making for a sleepless time. We were pleased to be heading back over the Pennines this morning and can confirm that it is dry, bright and breezy here in S Cheshire. What a contrast!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Very heavy rain here last couple of hours

Not too bad here 25 miles from east coast. Light rain for much of the day only adding up to 3.2mm so far.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A good day to hibernate drizzle or light rain in the morning and misty. Light to moderate rain the afternoon and misty. Not sure we needed a warning for it. Tomorrow should be a better day thankfully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yeah horrible day, approaching 18mm now here.

But nothing very heavy so just a rainy day really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just passed 30mm here now too. What a stinker! 

Posted

24 hours brought 24.7mm of rain add on the 3.9mm from the day before and we've passed last months rain total in two days. Lets see what today brings.

Posted

I am on the North Yorkshire coast and we cannot get out of the village because the road is flooded. Must have been particularly heavy during the night as it was dry at 11pm and it had not rained here previously for the past 2 days. Rain has stopped (as forecast) and will try again shortly.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I am on the North Yorkshire coast and we cannot get out of the village because the road is flooded. Must have been particularly heavy during the night as it was dry at 11pm and it had not rained here previously for the past 2 days. Rain has stopped (as forecast) and will try again shortly.

My wife had to go into Scarborough this morning and said that all the usual flooding places were flooded, as well as a few new ones, it was still raining hard when I got up at 5.30, its stopped here now, but still grey and cold. The field at the back of our house now has all the plough lines filled with water, so must have been quite a downpour.

Posted
5 hours ago, mike57 said:

My wife had to go into Scarborough this morning and said that all the usual flooding places were flooded, as well as a few new ones, it was still raining hard when I got up at 5.30, its stopped here now, but still grey and cold. The field at the back of our house now has all the plough lines filled with water, so must have been quite a downpour.

I'm pleased to say I got round the flooded bits and have now arrived back in S Cheshire to blue skies and a gentle breeze.

Posted

A better day today on the N Yorkshire coast (which is not saying much) but spoilt by a monsoon downpour at 2pm after which the clouds began to break up and the sun came out. Rivers running high and fields becoming saturated, so fingers crossed for N Yorkshire that the forecast of fairly dry weather over the weekend is correct. Back across the Pennines to to S Cheshire tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well today's showers have reviewed the chances of October reaching 100mm with 8.6mm today so far and beefy shower on the way judging by the radar.