Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
13 hours ago, Winter Cold said:

Glad you got something PIT

Had some v heavy rain here for a while around 4am and about 7 flashes I counted, some thunder but don't think we got the main bit in Rotherham.

What's our chances today, tonight and tomorrow looking like? 

Only 7 flashes? I was woken by thunder before 2am and it kept me awake right up till 4am when it reached its peak with very loud bangs of thunder with torrential rain and some large hail. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
34 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Only 7 flashes? I was woken by thunder before 2am and it kept me awake right up till 4am when it reached its peak with very loud bangs of thunder with torrential rain and some large hail. 

Maybe I fell asleep then. Saw the bright flashes around 4am and certainly heard the rain on the roof. Only 3mm recorded here though, so Bramley seemed to be a bit on the edge

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Distant flashes here and at least no north sea cloud. Time to wait for the latest forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I'm still baffled as to why we have been (and continue to be) under daily warnings for storms when, as far as I have seen, no models actually show (or showed) us getting any? And with the exception of storm central (Sheffield) I don't think the vast majority of us have seen, or will see anything in the next few days. Please correct me if I'm mistaken! 

Posted
40 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

I'm still baffled as to why we have been (and continue to be) under daily warnings for storms when, as far as I have seen, no models actually show (or showed) us getting any? And with the exception of storm central (Sheffield) I don't think the vast majority of us have seen, or will see anything in the next few days. Please correct me if I'm mistaken! 

Latest Metoffice warnings now exclude the Yorkshire Coast. Hull had a storm yesterday lunchtime as I posted on here. On the coast onshore winds and sea fret are keeping temps down and reducing likelihood of storms, yesterdays Hull storm died as it tracked NE towards us. I think current setup is about probability, if you look at storm forecast on here its 10% for our area. So far storm forecast on here seems to have been fairly good at identifying areas most at risk, Metoffice less so, only issuing Orange warnings once the event is starting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
36 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Latest Metoffice warnings now exclude the Yorkshire Coast. Hull had a storm yesterday lunchtime as I posted on here. On the coast onshore winds and sea fret are keeping temps down and reducing likelihood of storms, yesterdays Hull storm died as it tracked NE towards us. I think current setup is about probability, if you look at storm forecast on here its 10% for our area. So far storm forecast on here seems to have been fairly good at identifying areas most at risk, Metoffice less so, only issuing Orange warnings once the event is starting.

True... However there's a warning out for today again inland at least and the forecasts I've seen show no storms anywhere near Yorkshire. Hopefully we get something before this all ends! 

Posted

What a differance a day makes. Yesterday 26C here at this time today 17.4C. Dull cloudy witgh noirth sea rubbish refusing to lift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Looks like this low cloud won’t lift at all today. Very unusual to get North Sea crud in August.

Edited by cheese

Posted

We have had a strong northerly wind all day gusting to 30mph at times. It has been bringing sea fret in with it, been watching it blow past the spare room window like smoke while I work. This was the view on lunchtime bike ride today, which was curtailed owing to poor visibility, compare that with the view on a clear day...But at least its not been hot

20200813_121933.jpg

20200623_121535.jpg

2 hours ago, cheese said:

Looks like this low cloud won’t lift at all today. Very unusual to get North Sea crud in August.

It's been a really poor day and it is ridiculous that this North Sea crud has persisted all day. Similar problems likely at times this weekend. It's been the only real negative to this hot spell of weather - the easterly muck element!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Different perspective, I have loved the cool of today's sea roke 
(a good old E. Yorks word)   

B  

• Like 2

Posted

Yesterday too hot today grey and miserable but cooled the house down had to shut the windows this afternoon as inside was getting chilly !!!!!!

Looks this should be a feature for the next three days but as ever the darn stuff is unpredictable so if it clears it will get hot again.

Posted

North sea has had it's weetabix and brought drizzle as it's friend so another cool day in the offering.

Posted

It barely got above 15C here yesterday with thick fog and drizzle amounting to 0.4mm, and a further 0.4mm this morning too.
14.9C currently.
You only need to go south of the moors and even before the A170 it's a different world but not as hot as it has been.
Over the tops this side it could be mid winter with drenching fog scudding over the heather.

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Different perspective, I have loved the cool of today's sea roke 
(a good old E. Yorks word)   

B  

I would have spelled it Roak but not sure if any way is *correct* with a dialect term?
Here we often say oh no it's turning roaky again (or is it roakey  )
(edit - spell check having a fit)

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 1

Posted

Summers back after autumn this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
3 hours ago, 4wd said:

I would have spelled it Roak but not sure if any way is *correct* with a dialect term?
Here we often say oh no it's turning roaky again (or is it roakey  )
(edit - spell check having a fit)

https://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2013/QBlog020313A.html

Hi, yes I wondered a while back how it was spelled.  Theory is it may derive from ancient Viking.
Old Swedish for smoke is röker.
Anyway, its a good local name   

Posted

A very warm afternoon now clouded up not with north sea clagg but high level cirrus which I suspect maybe the remains of some Thundery showers to the south east. Clagg should come back tonight and anybodies guess what will happen tomorrow. Shall it stay or shall it go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Summers back after autumn this morning.

What a change from yesterday nothing worse than dark grey weather..

Posted
5 hours ago, 4wd said:

It barely got above 15C here yesterday with thick fog and drizzle amounting to 0.4mm, and a further 0.4mm this morning too.
14.9C currently.
You only need to go south of the moors and even before the A170 it's a different world but not as hot as it has been.
Over the tops this side it could be mid winter with drenching fog scudding over the heather.

9am at Whitby, cold damp sea mist, 2pm in South Cheshire warm and sunny. What a contrast! I felt sorry for the hordes of people heading on to the A64 for Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington!

Posted
15 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

9am at Whitby, cold damp sea mist, 2pm in South Cheshire warm and sunny. What a contrast! I felt sorry for the hordes of people heading on to the A64 for Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington!

It is nice to feel cool dampness the odd day but when it goes on day after day you soon get fed up and long grass etc is wringing wet.
Yesterday was quite windy and the cut off line was around Rosedale again
It's not that unusual in August i recall several times heading down to Whitby regatta and it was like this - sometimes the firework finale was cancelled due to thick fog
spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted

Local drunks are out again despite the cloud and damp feel to things. I guess they used to go to the pub and annoyed everyone there or they just recently slid down the path of too much booze.

Back to the weather there maybe some interest next Monday and Tuesday and if we are lucky some left overs tomorrow night.

Posted

Could well some interest tonight as Storms get going much further east than suggested by the morning charts. It's just a question whether they will survive this far. Then good chances tomorrow and less of a threat Tuesday. Radar watching time.