Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
52 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

You haven't had any? It's been throwing it down here in Cottingham!

Ended up with the briefest heavy shower.  Just a dust dampener really.

Posted

Had quite a few storms in the end, but none really were a direct hit. They always seem to lose intensity by the time they arrive here. Still totalled 8.8mm of rain so far with one more to come looking at the radar.

Posted

Enough of a direct hit to scupper the TV and Internet signal.
Short bursts of torrential rain has been good for the garden.
Poor dog is utterly terrified though and there's no comforting her.

B.

Posted

Absolute tosh. What does it take to get good storms in this country. 

That storm that passed leeds and went north through the dales, looked set to give barnard castle (of all places) a good hiding. Set up stall just before it's arrival yet it died just a few miles before reaching..   Saw a couple of good cg's and a bit of heavy rainfall but that was it.

I remember a few years ago a couple of storms that developed towards manchester and clobbered the yorkshire dales with strike rates of upto 300/min, that's the animal I'm after.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
5 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

That storm that passed leeds and went north through the dales, looked set to give barnard castle (of all places) a good hiding. Set up stall just before it's arrival yet it died just a few miles before reaching..   Saw a couple of good cg's and a bit of heavy rainfall but that was it.

I remember a few years ago a couple of storms that developed towards manchester and clobbered the yorkshire dales with strike rates of upto 300/min, that's the animal I'm after.

It all went wrong when our storm turned left of all things! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bazookabob said:

It all went wrong when our storm turned left of all things! 

Yeah absolutely crazy that. I'm just suprised how weak the storms countrywide have been today, Generally pitifull lightning rates of upto 20/min. I've seen better storms from a north westerly in january!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah absolutely crazy that. I'm just suprised how weak the storms countrywide have been today, Generally pitifull lightning rates of upto 20/min. I've seen better storms from a north westerly in january!

Yes lightning wise they only got going on the Dales. Hailstones looked mighty impressive from Sheffield up through the west of Leeds though. We had 2mm of rain in the end. What a world  

Edited by bazookabob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

The Dales seem to get better thunderstorms than Leeds for some reason, makes no sense at all. 

All eyes on tomorrow.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yeah fairly disappointing today, Had torrential rain and loud thunder but didn’t see much lightning.  I’ve seen videos from Otley of huge hailstones and that’s only about 4 miles down the road. Even more annoying! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

The Dales seem to get better thunderstorms than Leeds for some reason, makes no sense at all. 

All eyes on tomorrow.

Yeah they just seem to explode once a storm moves over the dales. I remember living bottom of the chevin in otley and losing count the amount of cg's I'd see dancing over the hills around the mast to the north near blubberhouses.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah they just seem to explode once a storm moves over the dales. I remember living bottom of the chevin in otley and losing count the amount of cg's I'd see dancing over the hills around the mast to the north near blubberhouses.

Well good news for us tomorrow... What could possibly go wrong? 973261102_Screenshot_20200626-212430_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6e7550df6ba549ba1f53bb0b376d56c7.jpg

Posted
6 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Well good news for us tomorrow... What could possibly go wrong? 973261102_Screenshot_20200626-212430_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6e7550df6ba549ba1f53bb0b376d56c7.jpg

Haha that's definately cursed it! Be strange if storms tomorrow were more severe with temperatures upto 10c cooler though. I'm not expecting anything

Posted
26 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah I saw this exact effect happen on the Chevin on the late May 2017 Storm. Was mental! 

Edited by adam93
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Looking south over the wolds towards Driffield, its starting to light up, distant rumbles aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Quite an impressive little storm, leaving us and heading towards Filey n Scarborough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

We had a brief storm last night that developed out of nowhere and brought torrential rain and a few big rumbles. Then I got woken up about 1am by flashes from a storm which was way up off the coast of Teesside but I could see it lighting the clouds up from all the way over here, quite impressive.

Here's hoping for more fun and games today!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

No sign of any activity away Northern Scotland although the drizzle showers are beginning to look heavier on the radar.Not expecting anything to day bar if lucky one flash in the heavier showers if they develop that is.

Posted

Yikes, look at this jagged hailstones that fell yesterday (Friday) in the Sheffield area.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-hail-stones-pictures-weather-england-thunderstorms-a9588601.html

Paul Hopwood twitter.jpg

Posted
29 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Yikes, look at this jagged hailstones that fell yesterday (Friday) in the Sheffield area.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-hail-stones-pictures-weather-england-thunderstorms-a9588601.html

Paul Hopwood twitter.jpg

Not far from here but just go a few spots of rain a brief breezy spell than back to hot sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 hours ago, Cold Winter said:

We had a brief storm last night that developed out of nowhere and brought torrential rain and a few big rumbles. Then I got woken up about 1am by flashes from a storm which was way up off the coast of Teesside but I could see it lighting the clouds up from all the way over here, quite impressive.

Here's hoping for more fun and games today!

I was up your way yesterday just SE of Malton and did see a brief white rope funnel,first pic,the second pic was rotating at the base for a good 10 minutes but didn't drop a funnel.

DSC03034.thumb.JPG.00f1e9d8c91888a62fc225d9d7953334.JPGDSC03048.thumb.JPG.94ea8ea21f0b5b3691be1d62ea0b2b01.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

I like how the storms heading to Redcar have better lightning rates than all the storms yesterday!

Screenshot_20200627-144837_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0f0b112c8478d7c77d2e65780fdda092.jpg

Posted
30 minutes ago, Craigers said:

I like how the storms heading to Redcar have better lightning rates than all the storms yesterday!

Screenshot_20200627-144837_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0f0b112c8478d7c77d2e65780fdda092.jpg

Think the southern end of it is just going to clip/miss me as it pulls away north!

Posted

This is my view over to the northwest (Thirsk direction). Very dark and angry in the distance.

C10DF6C5-C9F1-4220-A1CA-76A0467809CF.jpeg

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 2

Posted

Nothing here of course and bar one shower a dry afternoon with sunny spells.