Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes feels and looks better for tonight. Paul Hudson confident on radio Sheffield earlier that 1-2cm lower levels and more on the hills in the morning quite widely.

Downside is of course it'll be rush hour which is a shame but either way I'm looking forward to hopefully getting the first laying snow of the winter tomoz. Just in the nick of time too!

• Like 1

Posted

Also Friday is gearing up for several hours of snowfall during the afternoon as a front pases through turning to snow.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well tomorrow still no certainty. GFS yes, BBC yes, local met office just a brief bit of sleet. Basically it all depends on how far the low pressure pushes north. Fingers crossed for the first lying snow of the winter. Last chance saloon for us. North Yorkshire and east Yorkshire away from the coast should get some Snow Friday .

Friday a brief bit of sleet then turning mild so no back edge snow there as the rain continues into Saturday. GFS hinting at windy spell Saturday as well plus heavy rain returning in the evening.

Best chances for Snow for me are Thursday morning if it reaches us. Then Sunday afternoon if you're in the peak district a wintry mix elsewhere.

• Like 1

My parents in Dronfield had a decent covering on roads and cars this morning. Must've got lucky with the shower distribution.

Fingers crossed for the morning

Posted

The met office automated has gotten a bit excited. 

Also showing heavy snow for Friday as well before turning to sleet on the back edge.

Screenshot_20200226-192251~2.png

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Cheese Rice said:

The met office automated has gotten a bit excited. 

Also showing heavy snow for Friday as well before turning to sleet on the back edge.

Screenshot_20200226-192251~2.png

I think given the low dew points and temps already down to 2c, I feel extremly confident showers should be all snow for us and if heavy enough should settle quite easily.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I think given the low dew points and temps already down to 2c, I feel extremly confident showers should be all snow for us and if heavy enough should settle quite easily.

I'd be surprised if there is lying snow at your elevation tbh, at most a dusting. 850's aren't really good enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Dress it up but the reality is snow to the south and snow showers to the north and zip in the middle. 

Love to be wrong

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Hope to see at least something tonight/tomorrow morning. 

Been a joke this season for snow! We dont seem to have had a winter, just an extended Autumn  

Roll on summer  

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The flow seems to be out of the WSW at the moment looking at precipitation movement however vorcity does seem to be increasing north of Wales which is what I believe will form our more organised feature.

Posted

Still didn't expect radar to spring up like showing. Could it be one of them times that something totally out of the blue happens?

Posted

Impressive forecast in a complex situation, a clear enhanced vorcity picture on radar has produced the expected line of precipitation.

Precipitation also developing in the Liverpool and Manchester area which should reach Leeds in an hour or two.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Rain here in East Leeds at 90m asl and has been for a couple of hours. Was expecting better u must admit. Maybe it will turn to snow like Monday but I'm not hopeful, we seem quite close to the northern edge already. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Sleet here at North Newbald. Will head up over the Wolds shortly to see if it turns to snow up there

Bit of sleet in the rain here now. Looked at the M62 cameras and it looks to be snowing from about J27 (Birstall) westwards with a covering. Looks very white at J21 which I think is quite low level so not sure why that is... Maybe colder air moving in from the west? 

Posted

Just looked out as it turned, finally, into snow. Wet snow. I think evaporative cooling is doing it at low levels but the heaviest stuff is all south of here really. But another early morning snowfall for the week

Edited by bazookabob

Posted
2 minutes ago, reef said:

It's actually snowing here, fancy that!

It snowed here for about 5 mins as a heavy burst (yellow on radar) skirted us. There's not much more yellow heading my way unless it develops en route Glad to hear you got some though, Reef! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Light sleet here so another bust. So a winter without lying Snow.