Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

7 minutes ago, Sheaf of Wheat said:

Beautiful photo but sorry to hear of the accident. My daughter is in Oughtibridge and reported very little snow. It's like Sheffield has a series of micro climates.

It was quite a narrow sliver of moderate snow that tracked west to east through much of northern and central Sheffield. Quite localised and, temporarily at least, very disruptive! 

Grenoside certainly has its little microclimate at times though.

Edited by Onding

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice to see some bonus snow showers which gave slight brief covering before it melted again. Shouldn't have caused any disruption really as long as one is careful. Could be the last for a little apart from a brief risk of some Snow on Hills onto tonight's system. Winds don't look to bad this weekend at the moment. Possible 50 mph gusts and I think the rain will be the biggest problem if it lasts as long as shown.

Posted

Not saying it's anything to get excited about but the meto show the front starting of as rain then turning to sleet for the remainder. 

I suspect rain at sea level, sleet for high ground (200m+) and snow for the tops of the hills. Interesting to see the sleet isn't frontal but occurs during and at the end. Maybe evaporating cooling coming into play 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Not had any snowcover where i live all winter yet 2 miles up the road they have had at least 3 coverings  just goes to show that little difference in height above sea level makes all the difference too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Worrying to see the Flood Alleviation crew are scampering around like headless chicken trying to shore up the gaping holes they had created in the existing Flood walls prior to Sunday's floods.

I don't know if the Env Secretary chewed the head honcho's out when she visited yesterday but heard some of the seniors on the crews telling comrades they were keeping well clear of the Office for the rest of the week!!!

So , round 2 then a wet week to follow.....Joy!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Amber warning already issued for Saturday/Sunday for the Calder Valley, Aire Valley and most of the dales.

Spells of heavy and prolonged rain are expected to affect parts of England and Wales over the weekend with a higher likelihood of impacts now expected in some areas. Around 20-40 mm of rain will fall widely with 50-80 mm likely across parts of northern and southern England. Over the higher ground of Wales and southwest England, 120-140 mm of rain is possible in a few locations. This rain is expected to fall across areas already wet from recent rainfall.

2 properties near by have just left up there flood defences from last weekend as was silly taking them down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well next bit of interest is this weekend. GFS upgraded the winds somewhat. We shall see what happens on the days

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Well next bit of interest is this weekend. GFS upgraded the winds somewhat. We shall see what happens on the days

How much more rain we looking at @The PIT?

Posted

Amber Warning area has been expanded to cover Harrogate and York now, also starts 3 hours earlier, which given the rain is due to start here from 8am is understandable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm gonna be working turnstile tech support tomorrow at Leeds Utd. Not looking forward to it or the walk between LUFC and old Matthew Murray ground where we park....

Posted

Been watching the frantic action of the VBA crews all day as they try and shore up the defences along the Mytholmroyd stretch of the Calder...... lorry after lorry dropping off sandbags now stored atop the new bridge......

The only positive is the carpets/white goods lost to the sunday floods are not yet replaced so if we do flood it will just be the polluted sludge to deal with....

Will this be Two  "1 in a 100 yr floods" in 7 days I wonder?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Been watching the frantic action of the VBA crews as they try and shore up the defences along the Mytholmroyd stretch of the Calder...... lorry after lorry dropping off sandbags now stored atop the new bridge......

The only positive is the carpets/white goods lost to the sunday floods are not yet replaced so if we do flood it will just be the polluted sludge to deal with....

Will this be Two  "1 in a 100 yr floods" in 7 days I wonder?

Have a feeling this one is going to be worse. Predicted rainfall totals seems about the same, maybe higher, combined with the fact the ground is completely sodden from Ciara + rainfall this week and the ground can't adsorb any rainfall so its going to go straight into streams / rivers.

Could well see significant flooding downstream from this one i.e. Leeds.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

The rains we had today prove that point very nicely! The roads are a mess of dirty puddles and the hillside runoff isn't helping!

I do not know whether i'm just scarred from Sunday but I too am very concerned as to how we'll fare?

Good evening Lee Looks just as wet if not wetter than Ciara. That's bad news given this rain falls on even more saturated ground - some areas won't need much rain at all to have issues with flooding.

Winds look strong but not quite as strong as Ciara. Then again, figures quoted by models for Ciara were not fully realised on the day so it's tricky to say. What is easier to say is that it looks very wet and windy this weekend and conditions at times will be hazardous ⚠️

Edited by Onding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The rains we had today prove that point very nicely! The roads are a mess of dirty puddles and the hillside runoff isn't helping!

I do not know whether i'm just scarred from Sunday but I too am very concerned as to how we'll fare?

I hope all is OK for you folks in Mytholmroyd and elswehere. Folks trying to run businesses in Hebden Bridge and your area have had a succession of very rough times and I have read some stories of them just deciding to give up - desperately sad. Hebden Bridge is a lovely, quirky little town and I worked with a client not so far from Mytholmroyd and it's a super little place.

My OH is safe as is our house over there because we are relatively elevated but I hope everyone ends up OK.

Finally our wet week has dried up over here and we have had a lovely, warm afternoon and Mylo and I ran in the beginnings of a glorious sunset. It's supposed to be a nice weekend with mid to high teen temperatures but unsurprisingly cool nights, so we'll be out and about and doing.

Stay safe everyone...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
8 hours ago, cowdog said:

Amber Warning area has been expanded to cover Harrogate and York now, also starts 3 hours earlier, which given the rain is due to start here from 8am is understandable.

Yet Sowerby Bridge, Elland, Brighouse etc., which were also affected by heavy rain with Ciara (and associated flooding) are left in the yellow warning area. 

If Mytholmroyd is in the heavy rain area then how on earth are these places outside it?

• Like 1

Posted

VBA seem to be pulling an 'all nighter' tonight (even though we're not expecting anything until after 8 a.m. tomorrow???)

I think the media spotlight has demanded they have a presence here this weekend due to the way that sat back for their 'weekend rest' whilst we suffered last week?

Amazing what the visit of a (then) enviro sec can make on the way the folk that physically aided the disaster behave?

Ho Hum.......

Posted
13 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Yet Sowerby Bridge, Elland, Brighouse etc., which were also affected by heavy rain with Ciara (and associated flooding) are left in the yellow warning area. 

If Mytholmroyd is in the heavy rain area then how on earth are these places outside it?

And what works do those places have in place to deal with what our end of the valley will be sending them once our works are complete?

Twittaker voted twice against flood spending on the Calder Valley (the last time 2 weeks before the Boxing Day floods.....) so how do you think Sowerby Bridge, Elland, Brighouse (twittaakers homeland) will fare via Govt. funding ....post Brexshyte (our works have a huge wallop of cash from the European Regional Development Fund?) and beyond....... you are going to suffer real bad and, nobody cares enough to act as you are but a 'Few'..... (look at the opinions over on the Covid-19 thread if you don't believe me!.... fancy building on flood plains 200 yrs ago.....)

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

GFS upgraded winds this evening for our area, although some other models not making so much of it. Also lots of rain to come.

569208C1-CBD0-4CD5-A46E-16649B19590F.jpeg

332A7090-9440-4E3E-8685-8E6A642CFAE6.jpeg

Posted

Well I didn't even need to open my curtains to check the Calder (20m away) this morning as Breakfast TV brought me the images!

Man is it weird out there right now....wall to wall TV crews taking turns hopping onto the bridge to do their piece to camera....

Then we have the Army turning up in a few hours.....what a jape eh?

Part of me thinks the telly wants to catch the disaster as it unfolds, blow by blow (no pun intended as the wind is now picking up too!) .... maybe I should get out and do my 'concerned resident' bit.....

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted

Environment agency has issued the inevitable flood alerts. They are expecting it to flood widely it seems, understandably given the rainfall expected.

Wet and windy here in Sheffield but not stormy yet. Looks like the stronger winds will come later, with a bigger clump of rain down to the south-west. It's been a bit 'bitty' so far with showery rain only light to moderate (no bad thing).

Fingers crossed those in the flood prone areas stay safe and don't receive as much rain as forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
22 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Well I didn't even need to open my curtains to check the Calder (20m away) this morning as Breakfast TV brought me the images!

Man is it weird out there right now....wall to wall TV crews taking turns hopping onto the bridge to do their piece to camera....

Then we have the Army turning up in a few hours.....what a jape eh?

Part of me thinks the telly wants to catch the disaster as it unfolds, blow by blow (no pun intended as the wind is now picking up too!) .... maybe I should get out and do my 'concerned resident' bit.....

That's all the TV stations are interested in, juicy disaster footage. Of course individual journalists and their managers will have empathy with their fellow human beings but the corporate "go get it" mentality subsumes that, in the same way that we all get on with our jobs and do unpleasant things from time to time.

I have an idea but then again I'm a naughty bunny! If it's live coverage, do your concerned resident bit but try and get very, very well rehearsed quip in - anything (European funding for flood defenses would be my favourite but you've come up with a lot more in recent posts).

Bon courage!

• Like 1

Posted

Rain is already heavy at times; wasn't meant to be this bad this afternoon, hopefully not worrying precedent for tonight.