Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Thunder, Lightning and rain/ hail in Cleethorpes at the mo.

Rgds

Posted

2 great squall lines today intense rain the main feature from both

any one noticed the big bright Snow Moon first one for 2020

question, when are the winds turning so the temps start dropping as way to warm for snow??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

So my first day in North Yorkshire was an intriguing one travelling through a squall line was crazy. 

I got here in very good time though no traffic at all between Kent and York. I visited to Jorvik Viking centre which was great. I do love a bit of history.

Now then for the experts- what time and which day should I take a trip to the Dale's to try and find some snow? The upper air temps look colder Tueaday but it seems more precip around tomorrow?

• Like 4

Posted

Welcome to Yorkshire Kentspur ......it looks pretty good above 200 m either Monday or Tuesday to be honest.

The uppers are better on Tue ( around -7 ) but probably less precipitation as you say.

It could be a case of chasing the radar !

( i wouldn't rule out some fun on Thur either with a bit of luck )

Ill be up on the Wolds tomorrow and in the Pennines on Wed.

Good luck

spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted

Just had a flash of lightning which I wasn't expecting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 hours ago, Kentspur said:

So my first day in North Yorkshire was an intriguing one travelling through a squall line was crazy. 

I got here in very good time though no traffic at all between Kent and York. I visited to Jorvik Viking centre which was great. I do love a bit of history.

Now then for the experts- what time and which day should I take a trip to the Dale's to try and find some snow? The upper air temps look colder Tueaday but it seems more precip around tomorrow?

Looking at the forecast, Tuesday morning probably.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Had a very quiet, candle lit evening last night thanks to storm Ciara !
Power off for 3 hrs 45 mins. 

B.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
57 minutes ago, maxmax said:

Why does BBC weather for my area differ so much to the Net weather forecast?

BBC shows light rain yet NW shows snow from 12 until 9 at night

Net weather is basing it’s forecast from the automated GFS.

Posted

On that subject it looks like the stuff near Dublin should reach us around 2pm. MetOffice is suggesting this will vary between sleet and snow.

• Like 2

Posted

Had a few showers of sleet and hail/snow pellets today already so the first day of sleet/snow falling of the 'winter'.

The only wintry precipitation of last winter came from a polar maritime westerly aswell. Wonder what it takes to get a decent northerly these days? We havent had one for years.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

On that subject it looks like the stuff near Dublin should reach us around 2pm. MetOffice is suggesting this will vary between sleet and snow.

Looks like we'll miss that massive lump of precipitation. South Yorks looks right in the firing line for that although I imagine it will be mostly rain.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

Looks like we'll miss that massive lump of precipitation. South Yorks looks right in the firing line for that although I imagine it will be mostly rain.

Yes, the bulk of the convergence is moving a little north but probably won’t get much further than Barnsley.

For us in West Yorkshire the rear of the front extends north so we should get something but need precipitation to build.

.. and of course we need it to actually snow otherwise we will be dependent on PIT for our enjoyment.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Yes, the bulk of the convergence is moving a little north but probably won’t get much further than Barnsley.

For us in West Yorkshire the rear of the front extends north so we should get something but need precipitation to build.

.. and of course we need it to actually snow otherwise we will be dependent on PIT for our enjoyment.

Looks to be a load of showers packing in behind though. In terms of snow chances perhaps those are our best bet as they'll arrive later in the day and when the coldest air arrives? 

I think we'll be unlucky to miss out completely and I hope at least see some falling snow showers. I'm not back to work till Wed so I might go on a snow hunt tomorrow! 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes it’s snowing down to 100m in NI so the air is colder however our best chance for lying snow rather than something that blows through in ten minutes is today.

Posted

Now also snowing down to 80m in Chester and Wrexham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It's just going to miss Sheffield to the south, damn it! Going straight West to east now on radar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Yes this one misses Barnsley by a whisker. Nevermind always next time pmsl. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Is there any expected to settle on the Dale's tonight or tomorrow thinking of visiting Fountains Abbey tomorrow morning. Went to the York minster Cathedral and castle Museum today beautiful! Just a shame no snow oooop noooorth

Posted

Radar alert. Showers now approaching from the west.

• Like 1

Posted

Convergence zone seems to have developed just north of Bradford and Leeds (orographic uplift?). Here on the south side the clouds just look angry. 

1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Is there any expected to settle on the Dale's tonight or tomorrow thinking of visiting Fountains Abbey tomorrow morning. Went to the York minster Cathedral and castle Museum today beautiful! Just a shame no snow oooop noooorth

If you want to snow chase i would head to the Dales now. 

image.thumb.png.7472877f0fab1535fb6b644bc10dcb4e.png

• Like 1

Posted

It's either snowing or icing now. Hard to tell.