Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
15 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Been out on the bike this morning that wind is bloody strong also a negative seeing lots of daffodils showing yellow is this due to having no cold weather? So early?

I don't know whether it's the 'eye of the hopeful' but I think I'm seeing the stands/copses showing that 'purpleing' you see when the buds grow big?

It's also pretty 'boisterous' out there here as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Unseasonable extremes. Soft rain, no wind.

Could barely stand upright on the tops at Ughill this morning, was able to lean on the gusts. Possibly around 48/50 mph. Dry and bright though but the blustery winds are relentless 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
On 01/02/2020 at 14:13, Gray-Wolf said:

I don't know whether it's the 'eye of the hopeful' but I think I'm seeing the stands/copses showing that 'purpleing' you see when the buds grow big?

It's also pretty 'boisterous' out there here as well!

Buds are budding here on the fruit trees and the Forsythia is in full bloom. I worry for the fruit trees as a late frost after an early bloom will not be good.

We've got strong winds here but a very warm day, 16c, the frisbee hsd just flown well and Mylo is happy and did all the running! I am allowed to go out despite my sick note (some for serial fakers say no) - no running until Wednesday but we did a few gente laps of the Stade after frisbee...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had a double take today as I saw a chap cutting his grass in Sheriff Hutton near York.

Looking at my south facing lawn I may have to get the lawnmower out meself :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Had a double take today as I saw a chap cutting his grass in Sheriff Hutton near York.

Looking at my south facing lawn I may have to get the lawnmower out meself

Get mowing lad while the wind dries the grass! Mine's going to need it by the end of Feb. but it's just too wet right now.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
On 03/02/2020 at 14:36, vizzy2004 said:

Looking at my south facing lawn I may have to get the lawnmower out meself

Did one of mine a couple of weeks back now needs another cut but will need to wait for more frosty weather to freeze the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Getting a tad worried about the forecast for Monday.  Flying from Manchester Monday morning so will be heading over the Pennines around breakfast time! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Getting a tad worried about the forecast for Monday.  Flying from Manchester Monday morning so will be heading over the Pennines around breakfast time! 

Would set off at a fair few hours before in the early hours with the forecast if it is as bad as they reckon I would not take any chances.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Hi guys,

Just popping into your thread as I'm visiting for a little holiday to York (mainly) this coming Sunday until later on Wednesday looks like perfect timing if I'm too see any of the white stuff, where would you recommend to drive to nearby I.e within a hours drive. The Pennines? More chance up your way of seeing anything next week than we have down in NW Kent!

Also any recommendations for places to visit and things to do around the area dont mind driving to other places in Yorkshire just fancied a break away from the SE.

Have a good day all and fingers crossed this region in the coming week sees some ❄☃️ 

• Like 1

Posted

Looking a bit rough wet and windy starting Saturday, tie everything down that can move 50mph plus winds due anywhere across the region ☹️

• Like 1

Posted

Thick frost on the fields this morning.  Sunny but not shifting ...

Posted
2 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Hi guys,

Just popping into your thread as I'm visiting for a little holiday to York (mainly) this coming Sunday until later on Wednesday looks like perfect timing if I'm too see any of the white stuff, where would you recommend to drive to nearby I.e within a hours drive. The Pennines? More chance up your way of seeing anything next week than we have down in NW Kent!

Also any recommendations for places to visit and things to do around the area dont mind driving to other places in Yorkshire just fancied a break away from the SE.

Have a good day all and fingers crossed this region in the coming week sees some ❄☃️ 

Hi, welcome to God's Country!

Depending on your interests,  can I suggest:

Chatsworth House; Harewood House; Castle Howard (Brideshead Revisited); RHS Harlow Carr Gardens; Bingley 5-Rise Locks and Fountains Abbey.

It's also not too shoddy where I am on the edge of the Peaks  

Have a lovely break

Edited by Sheaf of Wheat
Omission
  • Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Hi guys,

If you are in York you are ideally placed for a trip to either the Dales or the North Yorkshire Moors. If you are looking for some really wild weather I'd get up to the Dales as perhaps you are more likely to see showers in the west? 

A drive in Wharfedale is to be recommended in any weather at any time - Grassington - Kettlewell - Starbotton - Buckden - Cray. Might be a touch bracing if you go for a walk! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Thanks to both of you I will definitely consider some of these places I also looked up Pateley Bridge any good?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
17 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Hi guys,

I would recommend the peak district but might be a longer drive than an hour,snakes pass,wood-head pass and snakes pass are all good locations for a true NW'ly blast if you can get up there,we have some stunning scenery that way but there is a lot more places around the peaks that are also nice,just head west from York then you are in the Pennine's

have a lovely stay buddy,i am sure you won't disappoint.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
8 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Thanks to both of you I will definitely consider some of these places I also looked up Pateley Bridge any good?

Pateley Bridge great. 

Get up Greenhow Hill for snow and wind then over to Grassington. 

Enjoy and take care driving in what looks like being dangerous even up here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
On 06/02/2020 at 07:00, Kentspur said:

Hi guys,

A good place (although it's about 1hr 20mins away from York) is to get up to Holme Moss, above Holmfirth.

I've known it to be decent in the bottom, but thick snow at the top! 

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks again I'll consult the Mother and see what our best options are maybe avoid the tricky routes if it's too dangerous to drive for us Southern sorties haha

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Thanks again I'll consult the Mother and see what our best options are maybe avoid the tricky routes if it's too dangerous to drive for us Southern sorties haha

Forgot the Brontë Parsonage at Haworth. A bit further out but Wuthering Heights (Ponden Hall, now a b&b) is worth a look. Wild out on the moors, very atmospheric 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
4 hours ago, Sheaf of Wheat said:

Forgot the Brontë Parsonage at Haworth. A bit further out but Wuthering Heights (Ponden Hall, now a b&b) is worth a look. Wild out on the moors, very atmospheric 

The road from Hebden Bridge over the Moor to Haworth is also a good spot and you can keep to the Valleys if it has snowed as they are generally clear? You then push up the Keighly road until you meet the snowline.....hopefully!

But then the North York Moors are probs closer?

EDIT: We are now in the window where any folk who unfortunately contracted Coronavirus from the 2 cases from York will be showing symptoms so keep an ear open just in case! (Plenty of handwashing if you're out and about and a small bottle of hand sanitiser and keep at least 6ft from anyone coughing/sneezing!)

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Kentspur said:

You may just have to go a bit over an hour from York to see snow. Take the A59 west and drive through Harrogate then shortly after the Menwith Hill RAF (The big golf balls) turn right and head to Greenhow Hill which is North Yorkshires highest village which sits around 400m asl.

From there you could drop down to Pateley Bridge which is only 2 miles east or go to Stump Cross Caverns (underground caves) a mile to the west of Greenhow.

If you willing to drive even further head west as someone previously mentioned to places like Grassington, Kettlewell or Buckden.

Keep an eye on my twitter @northyorkswx or NorthYorkshireWeatherUpdates on FB. Il be updating where snow has fallen and how much etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
On 06/02/2020 at 07:00, Kentspur said:

Hi guys,

The hills around Sheffield you can get too pretty easily one of the best and most picturesque places in the Snow is Lady Canning plantation at Ringinglow the views are spectacular on a clear day especially you can see 50+ miles on a clear and clear views over Sheffield and North Derbyshire.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/norfolk-arms.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-34837-gb-hWHpprk6lraVQxIgyfMiRAS390265440675%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-8664769717%3Alp9046366%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm%3Appccp%3DUmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9YVujEjbMrKBVEQO8hCDrg-c;sid=6b633f3fa0f2b9843df975ad00113c8b;dest_id=-2607573;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1581088668;srpvid=b42f6b8d5e6e016e;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

The Norfolk arms hotel is the perfect place to stay at over 300m+ above sea level and just across the road from Lady Canning plantation which goes up to the top of the Hill at Ox Stones at a peak height of 421m above sea level the walk through the pine woods in the snow is amazing especially i love taking  the kids up there when road conditions allow.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksWalks/lady-cannings-plantation-walking-and-cycle-route

Also a great place for Mountain biking with many trails for all ages and abilities that is worth noting too.

Enjoy your stay up here wherever you chose to stay.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

To be honest I wouldn't be travelling around on Sunday apart from heavy driving rain there's a wee little problem of the wind.

• Like 2