Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Radar looks odd, as in wasn't predicted. Large band of precipitation is heading our way and covering a fair chunk of the western parts of Yorkshire (Sheffield excluded), if it doesn't die off. Might surprise some people in the next hour.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Zippo here the afternoon showers split and Sheffield went through the gap which is normally preserved for Thunderstorms. Too warm at the moment for any Snow here another band of showers may reach us but very unlikely to produce any more than sleet at the most. ECM only offering a slight chance of anything wintry here later on in the month which is better than a few days ago.

Posted

Probably a good 4-6" over the moors and it was blowing about quite a bit most of the day.
At the top of the dale you could see it moving across the plateau and showering out into the valley when the sun backlit the area.
Just a couple of inches here and though it was a couple of degrees above freezing ground temperatures stayed so low it only thawed very slowly.

Posted

Radar has them as sleet but it probably also explains why the temp is going back up here. Looking at the uppers you'll be looking at high ground in the peak district for any snow.

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Radar has them as sleet but it probably also explains why the temp is going back up here. Looking at the uppers you'll be looking at high ground in the peak district for any snow.

Ha never got this far over anyway!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Just on zero degrees here and a freezing mist .. looks icy on all surfaces but I haven't ventured out.
Brrrrr.

B.L.   

Posted
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Just on zero degrees here and a freezing mist .. looks icy on all surfaces but I haven't ventured out.
Brrrrr.

B.L.   

Paths and side roads very frosty and icy. Take care everyone.

• Like 1

Posted

Going to be interesting as to how much actually falls. Using the GFS accumulated amounts suggests we reach average December values by the end of the month.Looking at the evening forecast suggests otherwise.

Posted
3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Going to be interesting as to how much actually falls. Using the GFS accumulated amounts suggests we reach average December values by the end of the month.Looking at the evening forecast suggests otherwise.

Just tonight to Saturday could be monthly average Pit?

Posted
23 hours ago, fazzafarrand said:

Just tonight to Saturday could be monthly average Pit?

Looking unlikely now however much uncertainty over tonight and  tomorrow with the beeb going for more heavy rain tonight and tomorrow while local forecast says not. GFS shows tonight rain moving out into the north sea before it although a small development should bring some light to moderate rain to South Yorkshire in the afternoon in the evening.

Always going to happen whengetting forecasts from different sources. I'm waiting for the day when the met issues warnings for heavy rain while the model the beeb uses says dry everywhere.

Posted

Been very wet here today with persistent rain since late morning. Fields are still saturated from the last soaking and run off is causing some surface water flooding. River Derwent was on the rise at 3pm when I left work. Had half expected a yellow weather warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
19 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Been very wet here today with persistent rain since late morning. Fields are still saturated from the last soaking and run off is causing some surface water flooding. River Derwent was on the rise at 3pm when I left work. Had half expected a yellow weather warning.

Indeed.whats the betting there will be a water shortage come summer!!!

Posted

Only light rain here today and we could well end up a below average month. This weekend should decide that me thinks. As far as warnings go the met must think only ten people live north of Watford at times. I still can't work out their impact as it doesn't seem to work as they say.

• Like 2

Posted

Twas a slight glimmer of hope Christmas eve into Christmas day of something wintry but this mornings run has killed that idea off. So a snow free December looking 90% certain here. Temperatures average to above.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Bit odd here, not raining and a yellow thing between patches of cloud!

Don’t believe you John, yes just been for a walk into town, bit of a sweat on, that maybe yesterday’s beer!!

Posted

I was wondering what the yellow thing was. So I dusted off some ancient  scrolls and they make me believe it's something called the sun. According some scrolls we should worship it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Yes need sun glasses today after the light deprivation.long may it continue

Edited by swfc

Posted

Maybe something wintry on the morning of Christmas Eve if Euro4 is to be believed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I forgot to post some pics of when we went to Kinderscout on the 15 December,it was a very cold day

me and my mate parked up at snake pass summit and then headed towards Kinderscout,the stone path was very icy and we was slipping all over the place and if you sidestepped off the path you would of got a shock as there was peat bogs either side

this was the view from the path

DSC02646.thumb.JPG.8826fe9b6c01c20fd213f63043cd2e99.JPGDSC02647.thumb.JPG.727eb9ca0f5159ffb04f48e9405c3fd8.JPGDSC02648.thumb.JPG.ac9adcfe09eceb858f9a34cea56ad8cb.JPG

after a couple of mile we started to see to foot of Kinderscout then we started to ascend 

DSC02649.thumb.JPG.ca5233b159072fa2d443750797fc6ea7.JPG

a pic of bleaklow zoomed in at +30 optical and 20 digital zoom while ascending

DSC02650.thumb.JPG.44380d0d69249abf504ba128085b31f0.JPG

a couple of pics while we where taking our lunch

DSC02651.thumb.JPG.fd0943a5799c02b505440e45b5459480.JPGDSC02654.thumb.JPG.d3ca23e55c0d14e6ebad9d54c4e5d7b0.JPG

then headed towards the downfall of Kinderscout,the waterfall was blowing upwards creating an icy wonderland

DSC02655.thumb.JPG.e494d8bcfc53066536ab30214cfa4a34.JPGDSC02657.thumb.JPG.a6ceb8561e32173a5aa6bec679136d75.JPG

a view from the downfall

DSC02656.thumb.JPG.a25ab8637664527591a66f7394aa72fd.JPG

and some ice glazed plant

DSC02658.thumb.JPG.ef4e31b58c8a6b35bd9ff0b836bdbb16.JPG

it was a good day up there with a windchill of -7 but the snow was lacking some what but i wasn't disappointed,it got me out in the cold fresh air and it was quiet windy too

lastly from me...

have a great Christmas and a happy new year,see you all in 2020. 

• Like 3