Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

I would agree it is further north as well. It's still very wet here but signs it'll clear in the next couple of hours as it continues to lift slowly north and thin out.

A fair amount of sleet in the rain even at just 100m elevation.

Edited by Onding

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Should stop here shortly just on the edge right now and although we had plenty of rain most of it stayed just to the east of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, BlazeStorm said:

A spec of snow showing South of Sheffield on the radar. And growing in 5 mins!

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 18.45.54.png

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 18.45.54.png

It was snowing 2 hours ago at Ringinglow in Sheffield it will covered at the top.

I put up a video on twitter of it.

20191114_162500.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 hours ago, reef said:

Just passed the 25mm mark for today and it's still coming down heavily. We've also topped 100mm for the month so its the first time three consecutive months have had more than 100mm for us since my records began in 1980.

Thanks for your stats, I was wondering where I can find monthly rainfall data for Hull? I found some for Pearson Park going from 1847-1995 but can't find any available data after that. I've been away from Hull for a few weeks now and move south. The weather in parts of Yorkshire has sounded horrific, the UK has been extremely wet from the last third of September to present.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted

Now up to 32.4 mm and still raining but only slight

Total so far this month is 141.6 mm

Posted

Careful John you'll be catching me up.

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Thanks for your stats, I was wondering where I can find monthly rainfall data for Hull? I found some for Pearson Park going from 1847-1995 but can't find any available data after that. I've been away from Hull for a few weeks now and move south. The weather in parts of Yorkshire has sounded horrific, the UK has been extremely wet from the last third of September to present.

The Pearson Park data goes from 1847-1999. The data isn't available after that unfortunately. The wettest Autumn in that series was 1880 with 359.4mm. In 2019 I've now had 390.6mm this Autumn so I think its probably comfortably the wettest for at least 173 years.

37.4mm now here today, taking us up to 118.8mm this month. That beats the previous wettest in 2000 at 117.0mm so we've now had the wettest September since 1992 and wettest October and November on record. For reference, the 390.6mm of rain this season is 59% of the expected annual average - almost all of which has fallen in the last 54 days!

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
9 minutes ago, reef said:

The Pearson Park data goes from 1847-1999. The data isn't available after that unfortunately. The wettest Autumn in that series was 1880 with 359.4mm. In 2019 I've now had 390.6mm this Autumn so I think its probably comfortably the wettest for at least 173 years.

37.4mm now here today, taking us up to 118.8mm this month. That beats the previous wettest in 2000 at 117.0mm so we've now had the wettest September since 1992 and wettest October and November on record. For reference, the 390.6mm of rain this season is 59% of the expected annual average - almost all of which has fallen in the last 54 days!

It's crazy to think that we have beat November 2000's total already. I remember that was my first year at Cottingham high School and the fields started resembling swamps and there was streams of water coming down a few hills where there was muddy footpaths. We really need a period of nice anticyclonic weather to calm things down a bit. So many days we have had low pressure meandering around us now.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

It's crazy to think that we have beat November 2000's total already. I remember that was my first year at Cottingham high School and the fields started resembling swamps and there was streams of water coming down a few hills where there was muddy footpaths. We really need a period of nice anticyclonic weather to calm things down a bit. So many days we have had low pressure meandering around us now.

I've never known a period like it. Summer 2007 was the wettest season I've ever recorded and it 'only' had 353.1mm. We're already almost 40mm clear of that with 16 days of the season to go. The next one down on the list was Autumn 2000, but that had 296.3mm - almost 100mm less than this Autumn!

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy rainfall totals registered for the month with more than 2 weeks still to go. Next Wednesday/Thursday looks like it has the potential for another deluge too

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, reef said:

I've never known a period like it. Summer 2007 was the wettest season I've ever recorded and it 'only' had 353.1mm. We're already almost 40mm clear of that with 16 days of the season to go. The next one down on the list was Autumn 2000, but that had 296.3mm - almost 100mm less than this Autumn!

Nor have I, been here since 1990, nor anywhere else that I have lived although obviously the further back the hazier memories become.

Another 33.6 mm yesterday so the monthly total is 146 mm which is already double the previous highest in 2016

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny Sheffield on 159.2 mm I made a mistake yesterday where I said the highest was was 214.5 mm which was actually for December. The record for us is 171.4 mm which is easily within reach. For the year we've had 991.8 mm of rain there's only 5 months ahead of it which considering that 4 out of the first 5 months were extremely dry is rather amazing.

So certainly in another year with over a thousand millimetres of rain the 2nd highest is 2000 with 1065.8 mm of rain the highest is 2012 with 1217.7 mm of rain. I think 2012 is probably safe but 2000 I will say is definitely is under threat.

• Like 1

Posted

My colleague emailed me this link Lincolnshire and flooding

fbimg.php?img=https%253A%252F%252Fthelin
THELINCOLNITE.CO.UK

"The loss of wildlife will be colossal"

Posted

Well well tonight's GFS are switched from a wet outlook to a dry one. This is very sudden they could well be glitch it's been off to the pub to early. However of course if this is right this is very good news for the flooded areas. They do have a few heavy showers go through tonight and hopefully it's drier sailing.

Posted

I was surprised on Friday the Derwent at Malton is fairly normal for the time of year.
This is at Old Malton which often has problems partly because a small tributary backs up if the main river is high for too long.
It has been up to the base of the flood bank a week or so back. 
spacer.png

Pump (not running) sends water over the embankment as required.
spacer.png

It draws from this sump-like area which drains naturally to the river when the level is below yellow paint - above that they close the sluice gate and start the pump if it stays higher for long.
spacer.png

The pub and houses across the road are considerably lower than near the camera, and very vulnerable.
spacer.png 

• Like 1

Posted

And what a surprise it raining and some of it quite heavy at times another miserable day to look forward to. The band of rain seems very narrow fortunately but this may expand as the day goes on as it does seem to be Prepping up a little bit.

Posted

Day after day after tomorrow thing just had a huge flock of geese fly over heading north the weather will be better at there.

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

And what a surprise it raining and some of it quite heavy at times another miserable day to look forward to.

Yes and to think local TV said Sunday would be dry for me (Mansfield) on Sunday on Friday night!

The rain band has spread and now looks like the rain will last for us

Posted

Over 20 mm more than the previous record for 1 month (June 2007 with 136), currently just over 156 mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes I'm on 209mm now so far this month!!

Crazy... And we're only half way through

Posted

Finally stopped raining after dumping another 17.4mm unwanted rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Seems like it could be a tad wet for western areas of the region overnight, but dryer by dawn

image.thumb.png.588f50b6841320e8187e2c0ffcb4bc42.png