Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Tumbling down is perhaps how I'd describe it here in the past half hour, current rate is 1.6 mm in 15 minutes.

Just out of interest the official description of rainfall rates from UK Met is

up to 0.5 mm per hour= slight

below 3.9 mm=moderate

above 3.9 mm=heavy

my total today stands, at the moment, at 33.2 mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Eased right now having breather or is that going to be the end of the worst of it?

Looking over towards the coast there's more coming your way, Pit!

Posted

After A brief break from the rain it’s all of a sudden turned heavy again be interesting to see what’s on my station when I get home. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
10 minutes ago, cowdog said:

They are under a flood warning.

opengraph-image.png?0.23.0
FLOOD-WARNING-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK

Check your risk of flooding: get current flood warnings, river and sea levels, check the 5-day forecast or use flood risk maps

While Meadowhall itself will have flood defences now (one would hope given the cost in 2007), the routes in and out are likely to be flooded. It does seem a decision made due to money rather than safety.

It's not really there call.im sure they have been advised on the situation by local authorities.tbh would you be heading to there today given the conditions

Posted

River Sheaf on Chesterfield Rd.... any coincidence that all three cars stuck under the bridge were BMWs

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

17 drops round Sheffield this morning. Never been so wet at work in my life, glad I was out of there by 11am as roads were already starting to flood.

Back in virtually dry North Yorkshire but my first drop is at Meadowhall at 6am so hoping the area doesnt flood.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hope your all doing ok with the rain and issues today. I'm in the forest of Dean this week and it's been glorious today!

My station at home has now recorded over 60mm in 24h..

Stay safe

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
21 minutes ago, jam said:

River Sheaf on Chesterfield Rd.... any coincidence that all three cars stuck under the bridge were BMWs

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

That's not sheaf coming over though by the looks of it more a case of blocked drains on the surrounding hills. 2007 it didn't flood as the work done prevented it from overflowing however this was undone by the council not clearing the gulleys.There hasn't been any gulley clearing round here for ages so no surprises at the above.

Posted
24 minutes ago, jam said:

IMG_0023.JPG

Amazing at times it can be a trickle.Hopefully we won't have school teenagers going for a paddle this time.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

That's not sheaf coming over though by the looks of it more a case of blocked drains on the surrounding hills. 2007 it didn't flood as the work done prevented it from overflowing however this was undone by the council not clearing the gulleys.There hasn't been any gulley clearing round here for ages so no surprises at the above.

Yes, I meant to say By the Sheaf. There is a planned ed gully route for all drains by Sheffield Council. I know because I planned it! Just beacuse you dont see them doesnt mean it doesnt happen

Posted
2 minutes ago, jam said:

Yes, I meant to say By the Sheaf. There is a planned ed gully route for all drains by Sheffield Council. I know because I planned it! Just beacuse you dont see them doesnt mean it doesnt happen

I can assure you they haven't done any round here. They've also stopped putting signs out so even if they do go out they just do the middle of the road. Back to bad all old ways unfortunatley..

Stay safe everyone. I only have to make a short journey from work thankfully but seeing the live reports it is an increasingly serious situation for many commuters and home/business owners.

Posted

Serious situation developing for Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and surrounding areas with reports of many rivers getting very close to bursting their banks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Starting to get that circa 2007 feeling again,not good. Sheffield and Rotherham could really suffer tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
21 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Serious situation developing for Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and surrounding areas with reports of many rivers getting very close to bursting their banks.

Brother just text me saying river Don is starting to overflow its banks next to Rotherham United ground. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, saint said:

Events at Meadowhall cancelled as a result of flooding. 

They should have done that much earlier,it is chaos now in those areas,was obvious this was going to happen

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, saint said:

Events at Meadowhall cancelled as a result of flooding. 

Not surprised - was expecting this would be the case and has seemed obvious it would need to be all afternoon. Shame it wasn't cancelled earlier to give people more notice... 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Brother just text me saying river Don is starting to overflow its banks next to Rotherham United ground. 

Might wash some.of the dirt away

In all seriousness it's not a good situation out there and could be really serious for the area for some time. Let's hope it improves quickly but not hopeful.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

After record rainfall totals here for October (over 6") .. I'm glad that so far we've missed the *heavy* prolonged
rain today.  I can see on the radar I'm on the very north edge of that huge band of rain over the Humber.
See what comes later.

We've beat the Autumn 2000 rainfall total already here with 296.4mm so far making it the wettest Autumn since my records began in 1980. Over 290mm of that has fallen in the last 46 days. October was comfortably the wettest on record here in the last 40 years and locally since at least 1850.

Like yourself we've been lucky today just on the northern edge of the band, though it appears to have pivoted northwards now so quite a wet night to come.

• Like 1

Posted

If it gets to 80mm I may have to save the rain gauge.

Posted

River Calder has burst it's banks in Mirfield. Some roads are blocked whilst others are drivable but won't be for long (for those that know the area, Newgate under the rail bridge is almost impassable).

23 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Not surprised - was expecting this would be the case and has seemed obvious it would need to be all afternoon. Shame it wasn't cancelled earlier to give people more notice... 

I was thinking the same thing. 4:55pm is woefully late to cancel. The right decision yes but what did they expect to happen this afternoon? It has been in every forecast, every warning that this rain was set in for the day (and much of the night).