Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Been mostly drizzle since around 3pm here in Leeds but over the last hour or so the Rains turned more heavy and persistent in a strong wind so far the met office have been spot on. 

Posted

Still raining this morning, hard. Cold and low cloud, plenty of water about on my way to the station. Met office seem to have mainly got it right, a little later starting but otherwise ad forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

So far here in East Leeds, the forecast has been a long way off reality. Dry yesterday until late afternoon and only light to moderate rain since. However, it is still horrible out there, though at least there's no danger of any flooding around these parts! Please come back, sunshine! ☀ 

Posted
1 hour ago, bazookabob said:

So far here in East Leeds, the forecast has been a long way off reality. Dry yesterday until late afternoon and only light to moderate rain since. However, it is still horrible out there, though at least there's no danger of any flooding around these parts! Please come back, sunshine! ☀ 

I think you have been 'lucky' in that the band of heavy rain has been further south than Leeds. We've had 5" of rain since Sunday morning here (near Barnetby Top) in North Lincs. 

It is still raining here, so that is nearly 60 hours almost continuous although a lot of that was light rain. 

We've had no flooding yet but the ground was pretty dry so will soak up quite a lot.

Our spring fed well was actually really low last week, lowest I've seen it in years, water level was down about 4 feet compared to where it would normally be at this time of year. It has now risen about 2 feet in last few days but still lower than normal. I guess it would take another week or so of rain like this before the ground is saturated enough to start worrying about flooding here. Back in 2007 we had 4-6" of water sat across most of our garden but no signs of that happening again yet.

However I'd like this rain to stop soon and to have a few days of warm sun. Don't think I've seen the sun since Saturday!

attached is a picture of our garden from 25th June 2007, we are praying that we don't get a repeat of that! (the purple kids toy is floating around the garden)

20070625 (3).JPG

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted

Hardly anything here just cloudy skies and drizzle a bit like winter very boring. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

68mm since the tenth although in June 2007 we had 77mm on the 14th.

Posted

Here June 2007 totalled 154mm and 2012 had 127mm
About 90mm so far and I doubt we will come near 2012 let alone 2007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

weather warnings were out in the east Yorkshire area over the last 2 days,just a bit of light rain and drizzle at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Updated weather warnings for storms from midday Sunday through to overnight Tuesday. Hopefully we should get a decent light show sometime

• Like 1

Posted

Storms removed here for Sunday still their mOnday and Tuesday although local forecast still says no storms. Poor level of forecasting from the met office.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

Storms removed here for Sunday still their mOnday and Tuesday although local forecast still says no storms. Poor level of forecasting from the met office.

Local forecast from the BBC? Not the same product as the Met Office so some differences.

I find these forecasts best given they are from the Met Office themselves. Tuesday is very difficult to pin down at the moment.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/videos

The risk has shifted north but there are still storms around. I think the main area of concern has shifted North but given there is still a risk further south combined with the recent flooding in Lincolnshire they were right to cover all bases.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

All this ramping for heat on the model output forum yet my weather app shows 19 for my location near Leeds on Wednesday how can this be? 

Posted
12 minutes ago, CasMan said:

All this ramping for heat on the model output forum yet my weather app shows 19 for my location near Leeds on Wednesday how can this be? 

I think a lot of weather apps aren't very quick to update and are probably based off the GFS surface temperatures which have been iffy to say the least. Keep an eye on the Meto forecasts, I expect the forecast temperatures to jump upwards a day before. We shall see...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Local forecast from the BBC? Not the same product as the Met Office so some differences.

I find these forecasts best given they are from the Met Office themselves. Tuesday is very difficult to pin down at the moment.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/videos

The risk has shifted north but there are still storms around. I think the main area of concern has shifted North but given there is still a risk further south combined with the recent flooding in Lincolnshire they were right to cover all bases.

Yes I think that was always the plan to blanket much of the UK as the risk could've been anywhere.

As we get closer to events their higher-res output can dictate where the greatest risk lies for a more accurate and targeted warning area.

35 minutes ago, CasMan said:

One can only assume that'll rise by a few degrees before the day itself, perhaps to 24 or 25C with the warmest days likely to be Friday and Saturday when, if skies are clearer and the onshore breeze isn't as troublesome, we could scrape a 30? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Onding said:

One can only assume that'll rise by a few degrees before the day itself, perhaps to 24 or 25C with the warmest days likely to be Friday and Saturday when, if skies are clearer and the onshore breeze isn't as troublesome, we could scrape a 30? 

This day saw temperatures of 32C in Hull. If Hull can get 32C from those uppers I presume it won't be too hard to surpass that. June 2011 was cool till that point as well.

image.thumb.png.4460c82a6e4a6d3c405cace4a8aaf410.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I wonder if this thread will be so quiet later? Here in W Yorks we appear to be in the middle of the 'moderate risk' so I'd be surprised if we didn't see something?

Any other central/west Yorks folk going to be keeping a weather eye as things ( hopefully?) develop? 

Posted

Too be honest I'm not convinced there is going to be anything. Cloud building here but there's a lack of heat so external factors are going to be needed. Whether these compensate for the lack of surface heat time will tell.

4 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I wonder if this thread will be so quiet later? Here in W Yorks we appear to be in the middle of the 'moderate risk' so I'd be surprised if we didn't see something?

Any other central/west Yorks folk going to be keeping a weather eye as things ( hopefully?) develop? 

Yes I'll be seeing how things develop later on. Will get to a higher vantage point if necessary  

Posted

Well - right on cue - the fog has rolled in from the North Sea, here in Guisborough, N. Yorks - so we can expect a few days of 12c and 100m vis while the rest of the country swelters in bar-b weather. Sigh....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

both the bbc and meto forecast a large area of heavy and thundery rain moving over hull and east Yorkshire this afternoon.we didn't get a drop.amazing how far the forecasts are out sometimes.

• Like 1

Heard a rumble of thunder earlier from a short-lived cell to the west of Stocksbridge around about 4:30pm.

I was on a Teach Wild meeting in the woods then so it was a quick check of the radar on my phone to see if anything was heading this way!

Posted

Another Horrible Wet day here in Leeds sums up Summer so far for these parts. 

• Like 1