Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Yellow warning ⚠️ for Rain issued for Wednesday into Thursday for some of the region.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A soggy walk this morning but the showers have quickly died away just cloudy after a mild start with sunny spells. temperatures not shifted much from this morning so cold by day. However the forecast rain is failing to get across the Pennines here although it is to the the south of us. Pretty rubbish uneventful weather from Friday and into today. Thankfully nowhere near 2007 levels although the first ten days of 2007 were mostly dry but that soon changed. So on the rainfalls front we are actually ahead of 2007 at 17.5mm v 0.8mm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A few sunny spells this afternoon but the day a far from a wash out with no measurable rain since ten this morning. The GFS indicating a wet Tuesday and Wednesday but wouldn't be surprised if this changed quite a bit in the next few days.

Posted

We've had rain pretty much every day for weeks, very changeable with lovely sunny spells lasting an hour or two then followed by heavy showers. It has been pretty cool too, a few nights last week drop down to 6c which is pretty cool for June.

We had torrential rain this morning. Certainly no water shortage here. The lawn has grown phenomenally fast this last week, and the garden as a whole is looking lush and green, very different to this time last year. 

• Like 2

Posted

New updated ⚠️ for Rain on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday now !

Posted

Well for the first time i can ever remember, we have 4 consecutive days of UKMO Yellow warnings for rain 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely summers day in Gods own county,good sunshine,usable temps.....not humid at all

Posted

Had a nice little storm to finish off a nice day of sunshine.

Posted

It looks like once the rain arrives tomorrow it's with us for most of the week! with the only decent day being Friday (if the models don't change their minds again!)-this is getting on for 2007/2012 levels! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Around 6pm we were enjoying a peaceful, warm sit out in the garden.
Now we've just had a torrential downpour, gardens and roads awash.
Start of a very wet week by the sounds of the forecast and warnings.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Good luck to all in the yellow areas!

I'm not liking the macro set up at all!

I've warned about the evolution of rapid transit sir masses with Polar plunges and African plumes and just what that could lead to in areas famed for their funnel cloud sightings/formation?

We might not have the cold/dry of the Rockies air nor the soaking G.O.M. characteristics but we appear to be lurching ever close to such 'extreme air masses'?

What we can look forward to are rainfall rates you only see in the core of storms going on for hours ( been here, done this in 2012!)

In Swinton we called such rainfall 'comin' down in stair rods!'......

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Here on the lancs/Yorks border we seem to be in a 'rainshadow' from the main rain with cloud passing over & then developing as it enters west Lanc's from north of preston down to Liverpool?

Seeing as I am , as ever, worried about the restrictions current flood works mean to the river flow we do not need any large dumps over us ta very much!!!

If it stays like this for 3 days we'll cope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Thankfully at the moment looks like West Yorkshire looks to be in the rain shadow. All the heaviest precipitation looks to be towards the south of us. Not sure if this will change later. I’d rather it stay like this for next few days to avoid our fields getting even wetter. Haven’t even done our 1st cut silage yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

Really surprised we are still completely dry in fact strong wind is drying things up from (20mm) rain last Friday.
On the hour by hour type sites it looks like heavy rain at times from about 5pm, but nothing especially worrying and largely through by early hours of Thursday.

Posted

Well Terrier the meto warning has been pretty sound with regard to West Yorks? 

I believe the system is starting to run out of steam with those south of us catching the bulk of the rain on board? I hope that tomorrow ( as the system rolls over us?) the tanks are near empty?

The Calder is still pretty low so there's plenty of room for extra in there and every hour without serious rains sees the moor drain some more?

I have to say I'm really impressed with the crew 'treesponsibility' who have put in lots of 'intercept' sites on the hill side helping slow the flow into the valley and avoiding a near instant 'storm surge' down the main channel?

The river may stay higher , longer, but the height is being pretty well impacted!

Amazing what a few logs across drainage run offs can manage to do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

hull has been lucky today,the forecast prolonged heavy rain hasn't happened.most of the rain has been light and patchy,with dry spells too.

Posted

Radar animation is curious with apparently heavier blobs from the East evaporating or something soon after hitting the coast.
Every now and then a few spots reach us but hard surfaces barely get wet then dry off again. So far.

Posted
6 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Well Terrier the meto warning has been pretty sound with regard to West Yorks? 

I believe the system is starting to run out of steam with those south of us catching the bulk of the rain on board? I hope that tomorrow ( as the system rolls over us?) the tanks are near empty?

The Calder is still pretty low so there's plenty of room for extra in there and every hour without serious rains sees the moor drain some more?

I have to say I'm really impressed with the crew 'treesponsibility' who have put in lots of 'intercept' sites on the hill side helping slow the flow into the valley and avoiding a near instant 'storm surge' down the main channel?

The river may stay higher , longer, but the height is being pretty well impacted!

Amazing what a few logs across drainage run offs can manage to do!

The log schemes are of little use when everything gets waterlogged.
It concerns me that as they rot a lot of the deliberate debris could come downstream in sudden bursts, blocking bridges or other pinch points.
This is usually very bad news as there will be an almost instantaneous rapid flood either side of the temporary dam.
The backers of the Pickering scheme could not wait to claim major improvement but the event they pointed to would not have caused any flooding anyway, since like this one it was a slow burner.
Incidentally the same is true of current in vogue beavers, it is pretty odd that in countries where they are widespread they are often removed as they are seen to cause flooding and dangerous sudden surges as their dams fail.

Posted
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

hull has been lucky today,the forecast prolonged heavy rain hasn't happened.most of the rain has been light and patchy,with dry spells too.

I notice this on the netweather rainfall accumulation map. Looks as though the M62 corridor from your area to NE Greater Manchester has not received that much rain compared to some other areas nearby.

Posted

Well its a miserable night here on the Yorkshire Coast. 10C, a stiff NE wind and persistent rain which is getting heavier. I've been in Malton today, just a few light showers and it even brightened up a couple of times, whereas at home 30 miles away its rained nearly all day from a grey leaden sky. Not as much rain as predicted, but still very soggy outside, and that front seems stubbornly stuck at the moment. Looking at the radar rain now seems to be penetrating inland more now.

Posted

Whenever we have a rain event like this, it always reminds me of how incredible June 2007 was.

We've had pretty substantial rainfall here for the last 24+ hours, but look at the Rother in Chesterfield, barely even above normal level, compared to the truly insane level of 3.35m on June 25th 2007 

image.thumb.png.51c8e77c9b1463442d2e86dbd9092db4.png

• Like 1

Posted

It has been raining almost non stop since sunday here, including torrential most of the day today but the worst thing is the cold. It has been quite breezy here which hasn't helped and max temp today was 12c, with no heating on in the house it is getting uncomfortably cool.  Hope this isn't going to be another 2007! At this rate I'll need to light a fire soon.