Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Thickest fog here for years that burned off early lunchtime. It kept the high down to 11.6C at 4pm so it was too damp to cut the grass while other parts of the UK were breaking February temperature records with over 20C. Typical!

Edited by Aleman

Posted

Truly amazing weather last few days today actually felt like summers days ridiclious for Feb  and an world away from this time last year.surely only an matter of time before we hit the magic 40 at somepoint in summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Walked through Woodhouse Moor Park in Leeds today at 4.40pm. Well over a hundred people laid on the grass, eating ice-cream, playing guitar, football and catching the sun. Really, really weird but nice - in a 'this is very, very wrong' way. 

This time last year the max temperature was just 2.6c, yesterday it reached 16.7c. 

(source Leeds Uni weather station) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

☀️☀️Warmest February day on record in Sheffield, currently 18.0 (64F). Data back to 1882! (Prev 17.6C In 1998)☀️☀️

Posted

Got up to +16.7 here today, warm for time of year but not a record for my location. It was warmer here back in January 2014 when I spray painted my Land Rover outside. 

Night time temps still dropping to near freezing most nights and we have had a few frosts over the last week along with dense fog that has lasted through till late morning or even lunchtime.

I find it very amusing when media says things like '16c warmer than this time last year = global warming', um, so when it is just +1c on the same day next year or the year after will they claim we are in global cooling?? I'll wager not. It is just weather and in the UK it can often throw up exceptional localised weather but go a few hundred miles either side and it can be totally the opposite. I wish the media would stop confusing weather with global climate, I have many friends in the States and they are suffering from exceptional cold or exceptional rain at the moment, a friend in North Carolina is very envious of our current weather as his normally much warmer climate is currently cold and wet! He has decided to move to Florida because North Carolina is getting too cold!!

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Storm Freya looking rather lively Sunday night into Monday morning.

wind.jpg

wind1.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yellow warning for the wind, Sunday afternoon and into early Monday.

yellow.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Tomorrow maybe interesting in the evening and early morning Monday netweather has snow shown. Won't happen though but nice to see. Interesting that the cool down to normal temperatures hasn't really happened and has now been put back til tomorrow.

Posted

Bit of a strange weekend for weather (for early March).

It was freezing overnight friday, only +3c at 7am yesterday morning (Saturday), then it stayed dry and got warmer as the day progressed and reached a heady +20c by 6pm! A very pleasant day indeed except for the gusty winds that arrived later in the evening after dark.

It remained warm overnight into Sunday and was +10c at 7am this morning. However by lunchtime the wind got stronger, very gusty at times and temperature started to drop. It then started to rain and that remained for the rest of the afternoon., quite heavy at times too. We are now at 7pm Sunday and it is +10c outside. 

A considerable 20c difference between coldest and warmest temps recorded over the weekend. Common in Summer but not that common in early March, would normally expect no more than 12-15c difference in Tmin and Tmax here at this time of year.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Really stormy last night, moved a lot of the kids outside toys around no large branches brought down though.

Concerned for later in the week, Wednesday keeps being shown as very high rainfall totals - the kind of totals that can cause flooding around here. I am keeping a close eye on that. After that we get a few days grace and then the cold moves in along with likely snow.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Mild weather continues temperatures a couple degrees above normal in the mornings and well over by day. Tonight may get down to values what you expect for the time of year. Last nights windy spell hardly noticed. I'm watching tonights showers with interest. A bit of additional cooling may spring a surprise.

Posted

Yup some snow on the moors this morning early on sadly the showers didn't carry on to bring it lower down which would have been a possibility considering the temps got down to 1.4C.

Posted
43 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Quiet in here? thoughts on the weekend? seems some of us could see some snow!! would be nice 

I was wondering the same. Supprised to see my dark sky app has snow for Sunday.  This has snuck up on me.

Posted

Nice cold uppers all depends if the showers keep going overnight. Can't see it during the day as the uppers don't arrive until the afternoon. So you'll need heavy showers to produce some cooling. North Yorkshire is better placed than south Yorkshire as the temps are lower. Saying that met office forecast is going for sleet here and temps of 5c and the air is dry as well so low dew points. Netweather is going for Snow early and late for us and sleet showers at midday. A case of wait and see me thinks. Details should firm up on Saturday. 

Posted

Sadly so many of those graphics in the last few months were more likely to represent the growth of the grass rather than snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Lol and another snow warning misses me to the south! I'd consider a Sunday morning snow drive but I'm not getting out of bed for 1-2cm! I'll just have to hope we get some of the showers mentioned for later on in the day. ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
8 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Lol and another snow warning misses me to the south! I'd consider a Sunday morning snow drive but I'm not getting out of bed for 1-2cm! I'll just have to hope we get some of the showers mentioned for later on in the day. ? 

Annoyingly there is now another snow warning for tomorrow, which just misses us to the northwest! I think this isn't going to be our year! 

Posted

Using John Holmes guide it says marginal at best with the best chances later in the afternoon as the high uppers move in but then we start to lose the rain. Best place to be is in the peak district. My own thoughts Rain the morning with a bit of sleet snow on the highest ground this working is way to lower ground later in the day before clearing away in the evening. Unlike to be any cover away from the peak district.