Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A breezy day here but just the nothing out of the ordinary max gust 48mph. The average wind speed at the highest was 26 mph. So no warnings today was correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
7 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

and the chase is on 12 days and counting for our next snow event!  whos ready? 

Typical.... I fly to Sweden on the 25th Feb. Now I don't want Snow to stop trains or the flight, it's guaranteed to happen :cold::crazy:

Posted

Snow in 12 days ho hum. If the low on Sunday pushes further north than shown we get a surprise in south Yorkshire.

Beeb forecast no real mention of the winds for tomorrow. Met office local forecast at the moment has them gusting close to 60 mph here. Could all change in a few hours though. Today we seemed to spend most of the time in quiet slot unfortunately. So no stormy weather today. Maybe tomorrow if we're lucky depending on you look at it.

• Like 1

Posted

Yup a windy one strange with a constant roar but not gusting very much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Proper gales here overnight and presently.  Really noisy.
Gusts of 56 mph recorded very close to me.

B.  

Posted

Slowly moderating here but nice to actually have some action for once.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

6.1 degrees hear at Min sunny spells. little or no wind now. outskirts of Barnsley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Temp dropped to 4.6 now had a light rain shower at 12.30pm now clear sky's odd cloud patches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

Looking at the forecast for the week I may be able to get the tractor out soon , outfield will be ready for a first cut of the year.  #cricket 

• Like 1

Posted

Nice day today, sun out and managed to get upto +11c here.

However mother nature still likes to remind us that we are still in winter, last few days have got very cold overnight, we had -2c here a couple of nights ago and even this morning the house was very cold, was only +2c at 9am. Had to de-ice the cars a couple of times the last week. Not exactly 'warm' as some have claimed in the model thread!

I guess if you have a thermostatically controlled centrally heated modern home then you may not be fully aware of how cold it is outside overnight. Ours is a Victorian cottage and entirely heated by solid fuel that we have to physically walk to the bottom of the garden to collect (logs or anthracite). Overnight our house has minimal heating so we notice the cold nights more than a thermostatically controlled house. It has been flipping perishing cold some mornings over the last week. I think I'm getting old but will be happy to see spring arrive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

Nice day today, sun out and managed to get upto +11c here.

However mother nature still likes to remind us that we are still in winter, last few days have got very cold overnight, we had -2c here a couple of nights ago and even this morning the house was very cold, was only +2c at 9am. Had to de-ice the cars a couple of times the last week. Not exactly 'warm' as some have claimed in the model thread!

I guess if you have a thermostatically controlled centrally heated modern home then you may not be fully aware of how cold it is outside overnight. Ours is a Victorian cottage and entirely heated by solid fuel that we have to physically walk to the bottom of the garden to collect (logs or anthracite). Overnight our house has minimal heating so we notice the cold nights more than a thermostatically controlled house. It has been flipping perishing cold some mornings over the last week. I think I'm getting old but will be happy to see spring arrive

In March 2012 we had days where it fell below freezing in the morning but rose above 20C in the afternoon.

Posted

Glorious day here reached 16.6c and it’s lovely in the sunshine made up for a very poor winter for Yorkshire. 

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

We've had a nice run of sunny days here but not seen daytime temps much higher than 12c, still getting down near freezing most nights. Also been a cool breeze blowing last few days.

Was working outside most of the weekend cutting up timber and still needed a thick rigger shirt on because of that nippy breeze. Bit deceptive as it looked like t-shirt weather. At least we never got any rain though.

My wife now starting off her seeds in the propagators so she doesn't want any more cold weather now, she's hoping to start planting out earlier this year, last year was a very late start and we had a poor set of crops. The only thing that did really well last year was the chilli plants, an amazing crop of them, freezer is full of the damn things and we have dozens of jars of pickled chillies too.

Edited by OldLandRover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Hi all. 

Are the cold chances all but gone now? Im enjoying the warm days and the sunshine and i want my hot tub back out and up and running so im hoping the cold weather stays away haha, i know really selfish of me lol. 

Hopefully our next winter isn't as dire as this one has been  

Posted

At the moment first half on March looks pretty unsettled and on the cool side, not what we want when spring proper should be getting underway - they don't seem too sure though, with marked changes between model runs.
Same as usual really, and Spring is often the most variable season as ocean is still cold as it gets but first real heat is developing over land as the sun gets more power.

• Like 1

Posted

Today started very foggy here (3rd day of fog this week), then a bit of light rain but by lunchtime it was bright and sunny. Only got to +14.6c, not exactly heatwave but still very pleasant. Evenings have been quite cold this week though and we even had to light a fire the other day as house had got a bit cold due to low overnight temps and heavy frost. I can't see us getting any proper cold weather now although looks like frosts may still be a threat to my wifes vegetable gardening for a while longer despite the warmer than average daytime temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Foggiest start here for quite some time.
Hopefully it'll clear to another pleasantly sunny, warm day.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

This week last year (Feb 28th) versus yesterday. Quite a difference in view from my bedroom! I don't mind either of these types of conditions but safe to say my rabbits prefer this year! 20190223_125727.thumb.jpg.7b406847e18f36ef6f8730f91f3634a2.jpg20180228_062407.thumb.jpg.9b2cf4260d8a808879b752426ff80be7.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Kind of hard not to experience this as a 'nice weather day' from early April than remember its still Feb!"!!

Posted

We had a second day on a row that started with thick fog, cleared by late morning and then had nice sunny afternoon. Temp got up to max of 14.6c again (identical max to yesterday). Dropped back down to 6c here now. Very pleasant weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Felt like early summer never mind spring when I came out of work at 2pm. 

Temp on car when I first got in 26'C obviously warmed by heat of sun but never dropped below 18'C when I got home half an hour later. 

Edited by Bradowl