Jump to content
damianslaw

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

Absolutely vile day. Overcast and a strong wind howling, the type that cuts right through you. Grim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Absolutely vile day. Overcast and a strong wind howling, the type that cuts right through you. Grim.

Unfortunately 'Grim' is the forecast in Crewe every day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ground above about 600 metres has retained a snow cover since Sunday now, not bad going given we've had quite a bit of sunshine, proof the uppers since have been cold enough to maintain such cover. In some recent winter months, to get 5 days on the trot of such cover has been hard to achieve, so not bad at all at this early stage in the season.

We've had a preety decent week overall since last Thursday deluge, a bit of rain, and a few showers but nothing on a par with regions further south. Again evidence of the southerly tracking jet which has meant we have been on the north side of any frontal systems and they haven't managed to pivot our way. Much of Scotland away from the east has also had such weather.

Expecting some further light snow for the tops overnight, and don't expect the snow cover to go away in a hurry even though uppers do look like creeping up a bit later tomorrow and into Saturday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

The wind chill cuts through y' bones.

It certainly does 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm expecting a good Winter (cold/snow) 👍 

Edited by Day 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I'm expecting a good Winter (cold/snow) 👍 

Me too 😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I'm expecting a good Winter (cold/snow) 👍 

Kiss of death lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been over Holmfirth Road A635 and snowing heavily there too, just starting to stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vile evening 1-2c heavy/moderate rain/sleet...surprised at 40mm to be honest... been nice if it was Jon/feb and all snow... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another murky horrible day. Looks like it's half an hour before sunset no matter what time of day it is. Getting very bored of it now. Where's the sun?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Another murky horrible day. Looks like it's half an hour before sunset no matter what time of day it is. Getting very bored of it now. Where's the sun?!

problem is these awful E/NE winds, in 3 weeks or so we may see more sun as westerlies arrive, rainbands yes but traditional zonal can bring sunshine too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

problem is these awful E/NE winds, in 3 weeks or so we may see more sun as westerlies arrive, rainbands yes but traditional zonal can bring sunshine too

We've had an awful year for luck I feel. Currently sandwiched between a high to our west and a high on the continent. I think we're long overdue a period of high pressure. Crisp sunny days and bone chilling nights. Yes please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite unlucky really, with a southerly running jet profile, you'd really expect to be seeing some cold air over the UK. Yes, parts of Wales & the SW had a period of snow the other day, and I have enjoyed the wind, rain and hailstone. But I would be expecting air from a much colder source with a jet profile like this!

hgt300.thumb.png.f54ccf2802468400634f52aa1a65dd2d.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going for the elusive Greenland High in December... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coldest night of Autumn so far overnight low of -1.4c which has led to a beautiful cloudless start in South Cheshire and nice frosty scenes.

@Day 10 wish I shared your thoughts for December I think it's going to be a mild December with yet more rain and flooding problems January who knows but I think this will be the month that winter arrives 

C.S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Coldest night of Autumn so far overnight low of -1.4c which has led to a beautiful cloudless start in South Cheshire and nice frosty scenes.

@Day 10 wish I shared your thoughts for December I think it's going to be a mild December with yet more rain and flooding problems January who knows but I think this will be the month that winter arrives 

C.S

I reckon one of the warmest Decembers on record, GFS already hinting at the SW'lys returning around the 1st, certainly reckon warming up around then, Dec CET could be very high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I reckon one of the warmest Decembers on record, GFS already hinting at the SW'lys returning around the 1st, certainly reckon warming up around then, Dec CET could be very high

Not so sure if the warmest December on record would be off to a great start if this (or anything close to this) were to come off. ..

image.thumb.png.744f052f257b95b85e90f7b5a4547327.png

Brrrrr.... ❄️❄️❄️ It ain't spectacular but it looks freezing nonetheless..

 

Much like the North West tonight.. already temperatures below 0'C here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...