Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
On 26/09/2019 at 07:42, JeffC said:

Never ceases to amaze me how people can wear duvet jackets when I'm wondering about in a T shirt, especially when out for a walk! 

Fair enough have something in your back pack in case of an emergency, but often seems to be a case of "I'm in the Lake District, so it must be cold and I need to show off that I can afford a Berghaus/ Rab/ whatever top of the range jacket, even though I've never been higher than Orrest Head"... 

I think we're breeding people who without clothing and central heating would be poikilothermic! 

The problem I have is my best waterproof is a thick coat, so I have been wearing that but also sweating at the same time as it is muggy.

• Like 2

Posted

Not the best day - overcast, rain sometimes light sometimes heavier and quite a cool feel, despite no wind - one saving grace. Skies should clear later on and a cool dry evening dawns.

Some crisp cold nights in the offing mid-week, ground frost most probable, though not quite air frost territory yet - away from prone spots, but we shall see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, RobR said:

The problem I have is my best waterproof is a thick coat, so I have been wearing that but also sweating at the same time as it is muggy.

Aha! Capital investment required at the end of season sales....there are some really good lightweight waterproof jackets out there, Rab, Montane etc that shouldn't break the bank in the sales.

Very moist out today...

• Like 2

Posted

Just got home from dropping daughter off at Manchester Airport.  Anyone remember when it was called Ringway Airport?  Torrential/heavy rain all the way there and no traffic hold ups on the A555 link road at Wilmslow, unlike the end of July when it flooded at Stockport. Tablet app temp is 13°  and rainfall is steady at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Serious risk of flooding round here over the next few hours - probably minor - haven't checked any river agencies but been out and it looks like Uppermill and Delph under threat to me - just by the shear height of the river, it looks about where it should be after a huge rain event, so with a huge rain event to come tonight.........................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Serious risk of flooding round here over the next few hours - probably minor - haven't checked any river agencies but been out and it looks like Uppermill and Delph under threat to me - just by the shear height of the river, it looks about where it should be after a huge rain event, so with a huge rain event to come tonight.........................

Not surprised at all. Early this morning the river Medlock around here burst it's bank next to Daisy Nook Garden Centre. Oldham council were there pumping the water away so had to turn back around. Road over it is open now though. Won't be tomorrow after tonight's deluge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not surprised at all. Early this morning the river Medlock around here burst it's bank next to Daisy Nook Garden Centre. Oldham council were there pumping the water away so had to turn back around. Road over it is open now though. Won't be tomorrow after tonight's deluge.

Nope.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain looks very heavy and slow moving around the Carlisle area anyone live there if so how much has accumulated? If you measure rainfall that is? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Met office text forecast indicating a overnight low of 0c not sure on that...

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
On 29/09/2019 at 18:37, itsnowjoke said:

Hi pip how’s it going pal

I'm fine. I'm looking forward to the Winter. I hoping this Winter coming up will be the memorable one. Fingers crossed for a White Xmas. I havn't had a White Xmas since 10 years ago I think.

Posted

Hopefully some more gorgeous autumnal days like today to come through October and November... 10-12c daytime, 2 to -2c nighttime, early morning valley fog, bright blue cloudless skies during day... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Went out for a 40km bike ride; a perfect autumnal ride. Bright sunshine, blue skies, dry with quite a chilly breeze. Noticed quite a few farmers fields, and some rural roads slightly flooded......More rain is NOT wanted.

• Like 2

Posted

Temp this morning at 5:45 was 3°.  The sky was clear and Orions Belt was bright and clearly visible. To think some of us was still wearing shorts a little over a week ago, this morning I was in need of my gloves.  At the moment the sky is beautifully clear and my tablet app is at 8°.  No doubt this will fall lower before dawn. Lovely nippy autumnal night. 

• Like 1

Posted

Already down to 1.6C here. If the sky remains sufficiently clear all night then it should beat this morning's low of -0.8C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
22 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Hopefully some more gorgeous autumnal days like today to come through October and November... 10-12c daytime, 2 to -2c nighttime, early morning valley fog, bright blue cloudless skies during day... 

Yep, bit nippy first thing but by 1 pm it felt lovely and warm in the sun. I even pushed up the sleeves on my sweatshirt and even thought about taking it off. Gotta tan them arms and get my vitamin D before winter.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Getting fed up of this constant dull, grey, overcast, murky, damp weather. I know it's October but even so we usually do better than this. The weather is just so uninspiring at the moment I just don't feel like going outside. Im not asking for an Indian summer, I just want to see the sun!

Also, what happened to the windy weather that we were supposed to have Friday/Saturday?

It's just been so still and lifeless all weekend. At least a bit of wind would be more invigorating.

Oh how I long to be by the coast where it's usually sunny and windy rather than gloomy and murky like it is round here.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Just dodged out the worst of the lunchtime monsoon downpour whilst outdoors at work but after that quite a nice clearance and mostly fine afterwards.  A few showers showing up to the west, I'll expect a little more frequency in the heavy downpours tomorrow.  We seem to be set in a trend that is going to be hard to shake off.  No sign of any 'settling' down or early signs of 'cold' on the way.  Hopefully we'll have a few snowy days over the coming winter.

• Like 1

Posted

A bit of soaker of a day here today. Shower after shower with another one in progress. Looking at the radar accumulation below it looks like south Manchester southwards have by & large missed the showers. Huge difference with the Welsh mountains sheltering them.

Screenshot_20191009-152143-997.thumb.png.2dc507fcdc7269a4abe703fde13c12c0.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted

Not one drop of rain to my knowledge here in Macc.  I did observe huge cumulus moving east most of the morning.  Granada Reports mentioned that the pennines had thunder and lightning.  It's been quite a pleasant day here today.

• Like 1

Posted

Saturday could be a good day here in Cumbria fingers crossed, plenty of sunshine, fairly light winds, and pleasant enough temperatures. Won't be too many such days before the clocks go back looking at the forecast, so best make the most of it.

• Like 2