Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
damianslaw

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Sorry, off topic, but which music fest?

It was Moovin down near Marple, I gave up at 5pm as the daytime heat was becoming too much and the queue for the only water-tap on site was 15 minutes long 😲 saw a few good bands for the 5 hours I was there but under the thin stage-tent canopys full of people and the heat of the sun coming through it was a bit too much for this oldie (i'm 35 but still not as young as most there) to endure. The forecast is 29'c tomorrow for Marple so i've sold the Sunday ticket and looking towards having a more relaxed day here at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forecast for a max. 28c here today...it's already 27c...could it sneak up to 30c by peak today? Strong sunshine so there's a chance.  High cloud from the west will cap temps by tomorrow & week ahead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I’m back from my holiday in Barmouth. Sadly it wasn’t my favourite holiday. Was a bit of a write-off to be honest. The weather for most of the week was very cool with the wind coming off the sea and temp around 17° until Friday when things started off cloudy but the sun was out by early afternoon. Temp reached 20°. 

 

Went home on Saturday with blazing sun and a hot journey home (air con on one of the trains wasn’t working and there was only 1 or 2 opening windows in the whole carriage). I was also forced to sit on the sunny side of the carriage as nearly all the seats were taken up. I was melting. 😓 On the next train the air con was working thankfully so it was a much more comfortable journey back from Shrewsbury to Manchester. 

 

Manchester was sunny and boiling hot (it’s Manchester for gods sake, it should be raining) and to make things worse they were having this gay parade thing (thought it was a bit odd in the station seeing people dressed in rainbow coloured clothing) so I had to fight my way through the crowds and security man even checked my suitcase! To make things worse, they had moved the bus routes so I had to look at the map and walk in the blazing sun to find my bus home. Eventually I found the right stop.

 

But worst part was that I had a bad cold for most of the holiday as well as chronic tiredness the whole time, I spent most of my time sat inside the hotel eating biscuits and drinking cups of coffee and water, I felt so horrible. ☹️ For the last four days, I only went out in the evenings for a meal.

 

Sat here now in my nice cool house, don’t know the temp as my weather station is still in my rucksack but weather app yesterday said 28, poked my head out of bathroom window and the air feels hot, with barely any breeze. Unfortunately, I am too far away from the sea so I get less moderation in temperature compared to other places, no nice sea breezes. 

 

Sat indoors now with a steaming cold, holiday over for another year, I feel like crying. 😣😥

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Reached 28.5°C half an hour ago but dropped down to 23.7 now thanks to the  wind becoming on-shore. More cloud now as well. I like it better like this anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

 Reached 28.5°C half an hour ago but dropped down to 23.7 now thanks to the  wind becoming on-shore. More cloud now as well. I like it better like this anyway. 

I know a lot of people on here like steaming hot conditions in summer and sub-zero temps in winter, but not me. You’re  lucky that you live near the sea as you get more moderation in temperature (ie cooler on hot days but warmer on cold days), still full sun here but barely any breeze, 29° according to weather.com, too hot to go outside, feels like a waste. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stepped outside the door and the air feels like an oven. And that was in the shade. It’s currently 29° here according to weather.com, waaaaaaaaaay too hot for me, 25° is my limit for heat, anything more is too much, especially at this time of year when it’s supposed to be cooling off. 29° is okay for July heatwaves, but too hot for the end of August, in my opinion anyway.

 

However, it’s about 10 degrees cooler in my bedroom as it’s only 19° in there according to my thermometer. It’s a north-facing room that gets very little sun unlike the other rooms. It’s also on the ground floor as well as I live in a bungalow. Like having built-in air conditioning. It’s a pain most of the time as I have to wear jumpers for most of the year but it’s a blessing when we get scorching hot days like today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well I’m back from my holiday in Barmouth. Sadly it wasn’t my favourite holiday. Was a bit of a write-off to be honest. The weather for most of the week was very cool with the wind coming off the sea and temp around 17° until Friday when things started off cloudy but the sun was out by early afternoon. Temp reached 20°. 

 

Went home on Saturday with blazing sun and a hot journey home (air con on one of the trains wasn’t working and there was only 1 or 2 opening windows in the whole carriage). I was also forced to sit on the sunny side of the carriage as nearly all the seats were taken up. I was melting. 😓 On the next train the air con was working thankfully so it was a much more comfortable journey back from Shrewsbury to Manchester. 

 

Manchester was sunny and boiling hot (it’s Manchester for gods sake, it should be raining) and to make things worse they were having this gay parade thing 

Yep it’s called Manchester Gay Pride and happens every August Bank holiday !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing calm conditions on the Solway coast it normally has a near constant gale force westerly - such unusual conditions was reading 26c on car thermo too !

5ADBAB1F-9F52-41A7-99DA-CEFE8890A29C.jpeg

EA10022C-D60D-4768-A25D-CA875B4A8147.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Amazing calm conditions on the Solway coast it normally has a near constant gale force westerly - such unusual conditions was reading 26c on car thermo too !

5ADBAB1F-9F52-41A7-99DA-CEFE8890A29C.jpeg

EA10022C-D60D-4768-A25D-CA875B4A8147.jpeg

 I do quite like being by the sea in the summer, except when it ruins my thunderstorm chances. In the winter though it annoys me a lot as I personaly do like extremes of cold and snow in winter. 

Edited by Chris.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Sorry quoted wrong post, that was meant for @East Lancs Rain

Edited by Chris.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

 I do quite like being by the sea in the summer, except when it ruins my thunderstorm chances. In the winter though it annoys me a lot as I personaly do like extremes of cold and snow in winter. 

West coast does do very poorly for snow, but I imagine the north east coast does better (especially in a beast from the east setup) while still having mild (ish) winters and cooler summers. Less rain on the east coast as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't mind living in our region especially far inland like here when it comes to the weather as I think we can get most of the interesting stuff - far enough north to get cold & snow (either from a polar maritime source or an easterly) but far enough south to get heat (although I prefer cold) but from a interesting point of view I don't think we do too badly. If I lived in West Wales or Cornwall then I think it would be a boring place to live for the weather. Virtually no cold, snow or heat.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much cooler start to the day, 14°C according to my weather app, it certainly feels like it. Currently overcast and foggy, no doubt the sun will break this down and temps will improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes overcast here but still warm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a difference half an hour makes, beautiful clear blue sky, not a cloud to be seen. Still a little foggy over the hills in the Buxton direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still disappointingly cloudy today after virtually wall to wall sunshine and 29c yesterday , fingers crossed the sun will break through soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two glorious sunny days but now an uninspiring 18C and 8/8 cloud.  Very little breeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the cloud break and there be some fine weather for the Keswick show , much maligned by poor weather in some recent previous years ..

32560C8F-7668-48C8-B04F-190AD7A13C11.jpeg

3938BE21-1A88-4197-9E34-F8BFB2D19091.jpeg

935B47BA-4D66-4891-AE1A-6FFDB9F0D273.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny afternoon with hazy blue sky.  Outdoor sensor in full sunlight so can't give the temp.  Netweather gives 23C for my location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sunny and very hot Nice to be back here as I've had no internet

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 25 August 2019 at 20:38, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't mind living in our region especially far inland like here when it comes to the weather as I think we can get most of the interesting stuff - far enough north to get cold & snow (either from a polar maritime source or an easterly) but far enough south to get heat (although I prefer cold) but from a interesting point of view I don't think we do too badly. If I lived in West Wales or Cornwall then I think it would be a boring place to live for the weather. Virtually no cold, snow or heat.

Maybe so but both places are beautiful and have some stunning coastline.

 

 

 

 

Whereas round here, it's terraced houses, cobbled streets and Chinese takeaways - There's just no comparison.

 

 

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit I’m getting bored of the hot and sunny conditions now. Some cloud and rain would be nice......

 

(Watch me regret saying this now...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 25/08/2019 at 20:38, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't mind living in our region especially far inland like here when it comes to the weather as I think we can get most of the interesting stuff - far enough north to get cold & snow (either from a polar maritime source or an easterly) but far enough south to get heat (although I prefer cold) but from a interesting point of view I don't think we do too badly. If I lived in West Wales or Cornwall then I think it would be a boring place to live for the weather. Virtually no cold, snow or heat.

Problem is round here the weather is so changeable and temps are up and down like a yo-yo. It’s either too hot or too cold.

 

For example today it’s supposed to be about 26° according to iPhone weather app, just stepped outside, it’s cloudy now but it feels really hot and humid - not my weather at all. It even tried to rain a minute ago. But then tomorrow afternoon it’s only supposed to be only 16° with rain and then 14° and rain by the weekend. A 10 degree drop in only one day. Same thing happened end of July after we had the heatwave. 

 

Whereas down in Penzance its much more stable - it’s been around 18-20° and sunny most days this summer with a few cloudy days as well and not much rain - perfect weather in my opinion. Whereas round here, I never know what to wear.

 

It’s also often not windy enough for my liking here. I find a nice sea breeze much more refreshing than constant heat and humidity.

 

Also not everywhere in NW England has a continental climate, St Bees comes to mind. I like to check the weather for a lot of different places and St Bees is nearly always cloudy, damp, windy and 13-18°.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638851

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gctqjsxwu

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3210.html

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the other side of the Pennines has stole the storms again , yesterdays forecast showed lightning over the NW,  yet somehow I still knew it would be a far east event     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanR said:

Well the other side of the Pennines has stole the storms again , yesterdays forecast showed lightning over the NW,  yet somehow I still knew it would be a far east event     

Typical isn't it... firing up like fireworks on steriods over to the east... but we've got lots of drizzle-laden filth barreling towards us from the west that will no doubt sit over us tomorrow and turn into persistent heavy rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...