Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Desperately need the rain up here in Saddleworth. 3 new fires today alone, after spending all weekend fending off the idiots and confiscating bbqs. The arsonist are out tonight so I’m out on firewatch.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, James M said:

Desperately need the rain up here in Saddleworth. 3 new fires today alone, after spending all weekend fending off the idiots and confiscating bbqs. The arsonist are out tonight so I’m out on firewatch.

Thanks for what you do.

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, James M said:

We were up climbing above Dovestone on GF, and the ground is very dry. Not only is the dead grass from last year brown and dry, as is usual in spring, but the deeper matted vegetation as well. If felt like the ground we were walking on ought to be squelchy, but it was bone dry. I doubt the peat below is as dry as last summer so the fires should be easier to fully extinguish.

When did a disposable bbq become such an important part of a picnic anyway? What's wrong with a few curly ham and cheese sandwiches and a pack of cheese and onion crisps?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

We were up climbing above Dovestone on GF, and the ground is very dry. Not only is the dead grass from last year brown and dry, as is usual in spring, but the deeper matted vegetation as well. If felt like the ground we were walking on ought to be squelchy, but it was bone dry. I doubt the peat below is as dry as last summer so the fires should be easier to fully extinguish.

When did a disposable bbq become such an important part of a picnic anyway? What's wrong with a few curly ham and cheese sandwiches and a pack of cheese and onion crisps?

I know right? It’s like a trip to country on a sunny day these days is not complete without cooking some meat over an outdoor grill. There should be restrictions on buying them by age and shops near the moorland should stop selling them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

ukstormrisk.thumb.png.ec750bac5eec329debda650855a19270.png

Heads Up

TStorm 15:00 onward

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

There is a line of T-storms heading up from the south. It is heading towards us too!

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Posted

Light rain has arrived in Cheadle. The wind has picked up since lunchtime, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well I'm out of the no storms club early for once. Nice little storm, torrential rain and a fair few strikes... One of which must have only been a matter of metres away as the lightning and thunder were pretty immediate. It was so loud I jumped out of my skin!

• Like 1

Posted

Getting really dark here in Newton le Willows. Distant thunder, no lightning as of yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Lot of lightning over Manchester atm.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=sts;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;ts=0;y=53.4553;x=-2.3174;z=10;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Cell over Manchester seems to exploding into life!

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Not a bad little storm just moved through here. Decent amount of lightning and thunder. Best for a good while around here.

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A non event here. Very occasional distant thunder, the rain was nothing. It was literally enough to wet the ground.

Last decent storm was 13th September 2016 

It's grim isn't it. 

Before today, I couldn't even remember the last time I heard thunder. 

Posted

Had a few flashes and booms here and torrential rain lasted 5 minutes. At least its something.

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

It's grim isn't it. 

Before today, I couldn't even remember the last time I heard thunder. 

Frustrating because it happened just further east than my location. I wonder if a lot of the lightning was cloud to cloud and high based because I would have thought I have heard louder and more thunder than I did. 

Struggling to remember if I last heard loud thunder was that 13th of September 2016 storm. Definitely wasn't last year. May have been 2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Had a pretty decent thunderstorm here with shotgun thunder. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Half decent if short event yesterday in Preston at 18:00 - good electrical activity with plenty of convection especially the tail end squall.

• Like 1

Posted

Storm cluster just reaching Gtr Manchester area now, skies have darkened here.  Not sure if we'll get the lightning strikes but a bit of rain will surely fall.

Posted

Come back summery weather! Barely been above 10*C today, strong winds and heavy rain this afternoon. Looks even colder tomorrow. Oh well we did need some rain. 

Posted

BBC weather have suddenly changed their forecast with the system further north. Result is north west England getting hammered this evening and again virtually all of tomorrow.

Posted
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

BBC weather have suddenly changed their forecast with the system further north. Result is north west England getting hammered this evening and again virtually all of tomorrow.

I'm under heavy rain from 10am tomorrow morning until 1am Sunday morning on the Metoffice site. The wrap around of the LP looks like feeding rain into the NW of England all day. Will be interesting to see the totals when all said and done.