Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Tomorrow expected to feel very pleasant indeed with light winds and a warmer airmass above, temps could easily hit 15 degrees for many, which under the late March sun will feel very good. Wednesday will see similiar temps but perhaps a bit more cloud. Looks like we will hold onto the spring warmth on Thursday but more cloud generally. A marked downturn come Friday temp wise, back to winter - well it will probably feel as cold as at any stage this past winter.

Yep. Just a shame a lot of people won't be able to get out and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Posted

I see they've changed the banner at the top to a picture of spring flowers. Looks very nice.

• Like 1

Posted

Another gorgeous day.

Hopefully this warmth will help to kill off the virus.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yes a cracking day. Got up to 16C. Can feel the strength of the sun beginning to increase now. UV of 4 tomorrow according to the Met Office although temps not as high but in the sun it should be nice enough. The weather not without interest over the next 5 days or so. Looks like a much more wintry feel is on the way. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

@East Lancs Rain yes it's been a cracking day how I wish this could continue sadly though all downhill from the weekend Lunchtime forecast said Temperature of 7c by Sunday but with a biteing NE wind making it feel like 0c and even snow showers over the pennines.Not good at all.

C.S

Posted

Morning all, hope you are all well. Yesterday would have been the first day I didn't need my coat on to walk home from work, but carrying some essentials home to drop off for my two vulnerables, I had to keep it on, and boy was I rather warm. Another beautiful day has dawned, another pleasant walk to work serenaded by bird twitter. Hope you all manage to get outside to soak up some vit.D cos going to be getting cooler. Keep safe.

• Like 3

Posted

Went somewhat against the official advice and had a lovely walk on the canal yesterday, around Barrowford reservoir and through a nature reserve. Loads of other people out too, enjoying the sun, a few were wearing masks. A few daffodils out as well.

Temp reached 17° according to my phone and outdoor sensor, and boy did it feel it - I and lots of other people were out in shorts and t-shirts, soaking up the sun, getting their vitamin D. Felt like the middle of Summer. ☀️

Also strange how quiet the main roads are, kind of a bit, eerie...

Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AZvQ6qkfAtpvjaSL8

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

Yet another gorgeous day. ☀️

Currently sunbathing topless in the garden. Temp only 14° but feels much warmer than that in the strong March sunshine and light winds. Not a single cloud either and lovely blue sky. Shame it won't last though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Woah nelly! At around 5 pm the temperature was 13°C, but by 8 pm it had dropped to just 5°C. An 8 degree drop in just 3 hours!  

As expected, it is now very still, very clear sky with stars and when I last looked out could see a new moon as well.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Woah nelly! At around 5 pm the temperature was 13°C, but by 8 pm it had dropped to just 5°C. An 8 degree drop in just 3 hours!  

As expected, it is now very still, very clear sky with stars and when I last looked out could see a new moon as well.

Yep, lovely walk to and from work today, tis feeling much cooler now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A fantastic 3 days here with temps peaking at 15C, 17C and 16C respectively. Sunbathing topless too in the garden, even had the little one out in his shorts! Caught a little bit of colour today with that UV of 4, the sun really is a life saver at the moment. I'm finding the lockdown ok as of now, due to the fact that I can just spend all day in the garden, but with the weather set to turn soon, I feel I will find it a little harder.

Models looking good for a return to the good weather in about a weeks' time, so let's pray.

FYI- Yes I can also comment on the rapid falling temps!

It's also the first time in about 1.5-2 years that we have had truly clear blue, cloudless skies all day. The last time other than Summer 2018 that it happened, was when the volcanoes were erupting in Iceland some years back and it grounded all the planes!

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Backtrack said:

A fantastic 3 days here with temps peaking at 15C, 17C and 16C respectively. Sunbathing topless too in the garden, even had the little one out in his shorts! Caught a little bit of colour today with that UV of 4, the sun really is a life saver at the moment. I'm finding the lockdown ok as of now, due to the fact that I can just spend all day in the garden, but with the weather set to turn soon, I feel I will find it a little harder.

Models looking good for a return to the good weather in about a weeks' time, so let's pray.

FYI- Yes I can also comment on the rapid falling temps!

It's also the first time in about 1.5-2 years that we have had truly clear blue, cloudless skies all day. The last time other than Summer 2018 that it happened, was when the volcanoes were erupting in Iceland some years back and it grounded all the planes!

Yeah I have really enjoyed this week too, but it's going to feel more miserable once the cloud and colder temps arrives. Some of the models were forecasting an arctic plunge yesterday, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Yes the skies have been much clearer this week, both during the day and at night, especially yesterday, which could well be down to reduced flights and less contrails.

Still crystal clear blue skies here this morning, alougth temps are cooler, currently 8°C with 63% humidity.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah I have really enjoyed this week too, but it's going to feel more miserable once the cloud and colder temps arrives. Some of the models were forecasting an arctic plunge yesterday, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Yes the skies have been much clearer this week, both during the day and at night, especially yesterday, which could well be down to reduced flights and less contrails.

Still crystal clear blue skies here this morning, alougth temps are cooler, currently 8°C with 63% humidity.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hiya mate. Yep same here this morning. Temps were really plummeting last night, we fell below freezing for the first time in a while with a min temp of -1.3C which is astounding for this time of year in these parts. Not good for my plants. 

We are hovering around the 12C mark at the moment. The sun still being the saviour and it’s still warm enough for sunbathing due to the light winds. No cloud again. Shame it can’t continue for a few more days. 

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 10.7°C here but of course feeling warmer than that in the strong March sunshine. ☀️ A bit of north easterly breeze though which is making it feel a bit cooler, so I've got my hoodie on to compensate.

Still nice enough to sit out in the garden though, esspecially as my shed acts as a barrier blocking out the wind.

Posted

Temp again quickly plummeted tonight, down to just 6°C by 7 pm and feeling distinctly chilly in the NE breeze.

Clear and starry skies once again. Managed to get a pic of the new moon tonight before it set.

Temp reached 12°C today here.

image.jpeg

Posted

A fantastic (working) weeks weather. Sunny or mostly sunny every day. Quite remarkable for March in these parts. ☀️

Maximum temperatures:

Monday: 12°C

Tuesday: 15°C

Wednesday: 17°C

Thursday: 15°C

Friday: 12°C

Also noticed there is some symmetry going on with the temperatures: 12, 15, 17, 15, 12. Interesting.

Source: 

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

Posted
2 hours ago, carl1980 said:

Feeling cool today, 10°c windy brief sunny breaks in the cloud,.....bored!

Yep, briefly sat on the garden today. Even during those brief sunny breaks it was still cold in that NE wind! Brrrr...

• Like 1

Posted

A chilly and mostly cloudy day with the occasional light shower. ? Temperatures briefly scraped double figures. 

Skies are now mostly clear and temperatures have sharply dropped, currently 4°C and still a bit breezy.

image.jpeg

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

A fantastic (working) weeks weather. Sunny or mostly sunny every day. Quite remarkable for March in these parts. ☀️

Maximum temperatures:

Monday: 12°C

Tuesday: 15°C

Wednesday: 17°C

Thursday: 15°C

Friday: 12°C

Also noticed there is some symmetry going on with the temperatures: 12, 15, 17, 15, 12. Interesting.

Source: 

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

Yes probably best spell of March weather since late March 2012 - which brought unusual warmth, temperatures no way near on a par with then, and minimum temps have been cold for the time of year - but still it has been a real blessing given the trying times we are in.

The most notable feature of the past 10 days or so has been the almost absence of any precipitation, indeed the ground is drying out quite quickly, wouldn't think we have just endured a very wet 6 month period.

Today has brought a marked change, a cold NE wind, more cloud, spits of rain/hail in the air, and temps not reaching double figures. Another cold one tonight, mins below freezing expected and tomorrow may see temps struggle to hit 6 degrees. Still no precipitation forecast for the foreseeable, and with the clocks going forward, evenings will now start to have much less of a winter feel about them - indeed there is a marked change in how everything feels from now on through until mid May, when the shift gear into summer begins.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yep as above, dandruff falling on and off.

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes probably best spell of March weather since late March 2012 - which brought unusual warmth, temperatures no way near on a par with then, and minimum temps have been cold for the time of year - but still it has been a real blessing given the trying times we are in.

The most notable feature of the past 10 days or so has been the almost absence of any precipitation, indeed the ground is drying out quite quickly, wouldn't think we have just endured a very wet 6 month period.

Today has brought a marked change, a cold NE wind, more cloud, spits of rain/hail in the air, and temps not reaching double figures. Another cold one tonight, mins below freezing expected and tomorrow may see temps struggle to hit 6 degrees. Still no precipitation forecast for the foreseeable, and with the clocks going forward, evenings will now start to have much less of a winter feel about them - indeed there is a marked change in how everything feels from now on through until mid May, when the shift gear into summer begins.

I can't remember March 2012, though I do remember having warm sunny days in March 2014, 15, 16, and in particular 2017, which had quite a few days with temps in the lo-mid teens. 

Let's hope we do not have a repeat of 2012!

Yes, it's remarkable how dry the ground is considering the deluge we've had, a lot of the paths looked rather dusty the other day.

Today is surprisingly sunny, it was forecast to be cloudy, however its very desceptive as its only 5°C with a strong easterly wind.

Posted
14 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Some light snow fall this morning from the odd rouge shower nice to see but could do with warmer temps 

No snow here just sunny and windy, current temp 5.7°C with 54% humidity.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Just remembered its clock changing day which would normally mean the dreaded "having to get up an hour earlier on Monday" ordeal. However, thanks to this pandemic, I won't have to this year. Yay!