Jump to content
damianslaw

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

Back to drab skies today. Mid winter blues in full swing.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're in inversion territory now: 8C at MAN but only 5C at 850hPa level. Full on murk at ground level. Yesterday we even managed some drizzle under a 1040hPa high, that must be a record surely? Welcome to Manchester, the world drizzle capital!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

We're in inversion territory now: 8C at MAN but only 5C at 850hPa level. Full on murk at ground level. Yesterday we even managed some drizzle under a 1040hPa high, that must be a record surely? Welcome to Manchester, the world drizzle capital!

Just a load of crap caught in the high unfortunately due to its orientation. 
if it was summer, the sun would have no problem burning this murk off and we’d be seeing clear blue skies. 

but obviously this is the UK, so a near-record breaking high pressure produces drizzle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interesting to see sunshine totals this Winter. Could be me but I think it's been extremely dull. At least with wind & rain you get sun in between systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very still day for January, nothing to note at all, chinks of brightness late afternoon with some interesting cloudy misty formations on the hills, the evening turned into another misty foggy grey scene, and mild with temps at 9 degrees.

The state of the weather right now is echoing everyone's mood, generally this is probably the most miserable week of the whole year, we are the bottom of the winter doldrums, full on hibernation mode.. as we move into February a subtle change in the feel of things takes place and the atmosphere as a whole, helped by increased light levels..

We should just hibernate in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning. A day of classic anticyclonic gloom by the looks of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High ground needed to get above this mist and murk we're currently under...

 

M0PE7sh.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, alr1970 said:

We're in inversion territory now: 8C at MAN but only 5C at 850hPa level.

I thought an inversion was the other way around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Blue skies and sunshine.

The advantage of being to the east of high ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather could get quite interesting for early next week... nothing that will get us snowed in but maybe a few wintry showers after some strong winds on Monday night... still lots of details to be pinned down but I don't think we'll have a problem with FOG and dullness next week.

Edited by dodge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shock horror met office forecast has snow forecast here Monday night/early hours Tuesday, ditto BBC weather..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dodge said:

Weather could get quite interesting for early next week... nothing that will get us snowed in but maybe a few wintry showers after some strong winds on Monday night... still lots of details to be pinned down but I don't think we'll have a problem with FOG and dullness next week.

Yes looks like a very brief opportunity for high ground 200m to see some snow on Tuesday a wintry mix of Rain sleet and Hail for low ground -5 uppers from  a NW just dont cut it need at least -10 uppers to allow modification from the Irish sea.

C.S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 10:44, alr1970 said:

We're in inversion territory now: 8C at MAN but only 5C at 850hPa level. Full on murk at ground level. Yesterday we even managed some drizzle under a 1040hPa high, that must be a record surely? Welcome to Manchester, the world drizzle capital!

Yup, it’s nearly always light drizzle whenever I’m in Manchester. What’s funny though is that the slightest hint of drizzle and people suddenly get their umbrellas out, and complain that it’s raining, even though it’s not even enough to make you wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 12:19, MIKE LEVITT said:

this winter is about as exciting as a premier league football match.what a bore

Yup. 

 

 

This has to be the most boring winter ever. It’s just been extremely cloudy, barely any snow, ice or even frost and just dull, gloomy and 5-8c most days. I remember waking up to snow one morning in December, which quickly melted, and the other week I could see a very light dusting on the top of Pendle hill. Even by our standards, that pretty poor.

 

At least last winter we had a couple of colder weeks in January and a very spring-like February. This year though - absolutely nothing.

 

This day (well yesterday) one year ago. 

 

 

image.png

image.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 11:56, Carl46Wrexham said:


Blue skies and sunshine.

The advantage of being to the east of high ground.

Lucky. Here in East Lancashire we’re to the west of high ground so we get a lot of gloom, low cloud, mist, murk, dampness - esspecially in Winter when we get a W/SW flow like we’re in at the moment.

 

When we get an easterly wind though, it has the opposite effect, so in Spring (our most easterly season) when the North East is covered in fog, gloom and murk, we tend to get a lot of sunny and clear weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Lucky. Here in East Lancashire we’re to the west of high ground so we get a lot of gloom, low cloud, mist, murk, dampness - esspecially in Winter when we get a W/SW flow like we’re in at the moment.

 

When we get an easterly wind though, it has the opposite effect, so in Spring (our most easterly season) when the North East is covered in fog, gloom and murk, we tend to get a lot of sunny and clear weather.

Bury poss snow Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 07:54, Alexis said:

Morning. A day of classic anticyclonic gloom by the looks of it 

Always seems to be the case these days that high pressure brings us foggy, drizzly, murky weather. Traditionally, it used to bring frost and nice blue clear skies and sunshine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...