Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
22 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Back from a wonderful trip to see my brother in Costa Rica ??.... 

was hoping after three weeks away for something more wintery on our return...maybe late January into February might prevail with something colder with something drier sunnier and more seasonal...  

hopefully a big pattern change ahead and our Aussie friends can get relief from the fires too... 

I’ve some ice in my freezer

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A chance of snow for more northern parts of the region tonight / into the morning. And not exclusively on high ground either. @damianslaw you could get a covering again.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

A chance of snow for more northern parts of the region tonight / into the morning. And not exclusively on high ground either.

I think the snowline will be about 400m with slushy deposits , proper snow above about 600m. Fells have been pretty much devoid of snow since about 18th December. Pity there weren't slightly colder uppers, could be about to see a decent low level snowfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wet snow falling in Carlisle atm, 1 degree above freezing. 

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, DisruptiveGust said:

Wet snow falling in Carlisle atm, 1 degree above freezing. 

IMG_3355.MOV

Interesting to note there was quite a temp difference through Cumbria this morning, here temps never got below 4 degrees, hence snow was kept to the southern fells, nothing on Kirkstone even, whereas northern half of county temps got close to freezing allowing for evaporative cooling and snow down to low levels. 

Tonight should deliver first air frost of the year.. tomorrow looks quite a decent day with some welcome sunshine. Unfortunately Saturday looks a write off ,heavy rain and strong winds throughout - not good timing. A day to think of sunnier warmer climes.. Indeed January in the UK is often so uninspiring, its no wonder people pack off and move to sunnier places, its the endless gloom that gets everyone down especially around here.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted

I agree with the comment of 'endless gloom'  and named this season 'grimter' rather than winter.  Current temp 3° according to my tablet app, and it feels like it too.  I don't mind cold weather, and l am hopeful that we may see a good fall of snow before the season is over.

• Like 5

Posted

Felt more like January today, a slight air frost, temps down to freezing, and a slow climb this morning, about 4 degrees midday, became milder in the afternoon though, and tonight will be a notably mild one. Tomorrow I just want to get of the way - its looking thoroughly miserable here, heavy rain, strong winds, and very mild - yuck yuck yuck..

Want to clean polar air... thankfully looks like next week could deliver a fair bit inbetween the rain bands.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

If you've got cloudless skies at the moment, take a look at the full moon, it's beautiful, also known as 'Wolf Moon' and 'The Moon after Yule'.

Saw it low down in the east just before I left. 

Back in Slovakia now with thick fog. 

• Like 2

Posted

Been gardening the last couple of days and just to show how mild it has been.... daffodils coming out, wild flowers flowering and many plants budding.... only a couple of hard frosts before I went away to Costa Rica... yesterday was chilly -1c and cool until the afternoon but at least was sunny and saw the wolf moon....

• Like 1

Posted
WWW.DWD.DE

Climate monitoring Europe - Maps of snow (yearly) - WMO-region RA VI

sums up winter across Europe 2019/20... very surprised large swathes of Poland, Czechia, Germany, France are yet to have any snow... my brother in Denmark hasn’t had any either....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Another grey and gloomy day

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Amazing how high the CET is at the moment. It’s currently at 7.3°C, provisional to the 10th, an anomaly of an incredible 3.7°C above the 1960-1990 average (more like 3.0°C above 1980-2010 average).

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

For comparison purposes, the last really mild January was 2007 at 7.0°C, and the highest all-time January CET record was 7.5°C in 1916. I find it quite amazing that record has stood so long, what with all the warming and really mild winters we have had in recent years.

It hasn’t felt as mild as that though, due to the severe lack of sunshine, relentless gloom, strong winds, rain/dampness and the fact that often the highest temperatures have occurred at night (remember CET is 24hr Max + 24 hr Min / 2.)

Check out the hourly temperatures at Stonyhurst (one of the 3 CET sites) and you’ll see what I mean: 

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

Another technically “mild” day here, with maximum temperatures around 10 or 11°, but again not feeling very nice due to the overcast, drizzly and windy conditions this afternoon, so mild weather at this time of year isn’t always good.

I enjoyed the windy weather last night and this morning, some nice strong gusts and whooshing noises thanks to the strong southwesterly winds, love a windy night, I find windy weather nice and refreshing.  My mum likes windy weather too and told me that a work colleague told her that windy weather is refreshing due to negative ions in the air or something.

This morning wasn’t too bad actually - overcast yes but dry and not too gloomy and nice and windy but not too cold due to mild temperatures. But the afternoon has been pretty miserable - damp and drizzly from 2 pm onwards, going dark by 3 pm and pitch black by 4:30 pm. 

Damianslaw is right - it’s days like this that make you wish we lived in a warmer and sunnier climate - our climate may be temperate but that doesn’t mean the weather is pleasant. It’s the gloom and lack of sunshine that really gets me down. 4°C, sunny and no wind is so much nicer than 12°C, gloomy, wet and windy.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Felt more like January today, a slight air frost, temps down to freezing, and a slow climb this morning, about 4 degrees midday, became milder in the afternoon though, and tonight will be a notably mild one. Tomorrow I just want to get of the way - its looking thoroughly miserable here, heavy rain, strong winds, and very mild - yuck yuck yuck..

Want to clean polar air... thankfully looks like next week could deliver a fair bit inbetween the rain bands.

Yeah yesterday was okay weather-wise.

Posted
On 09/01/2020 at 22:10, Rush2112 said:

I agree with the comment of 'endless gloom'  and named this season 'grimter' rather than winter.  Current temp 3° according to my tablet app, and it feels like it too.  I don't mind cold weather, and l am hopeful that we may see a good fall of snow before the season is over.

Yup. It really has been horrible and gloomy since the start of October with just the odd sunny/brighter day here and there. It’s been a depressing few months weather wise, can’t remember having such a prolonged spell of endless gloom, though I remember November 2015 - January 2016 was also another very sunless period.

Grimter is a good name for it, it certainly is grim! 

Was talking to someone else today about the weather. A lot of people are saying we just don’t get the seasons anymore. The winter is milder but also wetter and gloomier and the summers are crappier as well.  Even when we have high-pressure in mid winter, it’s often gloomy and drizzly these days, whereas 10 years ago it would have been clear and frosty.  It often just feels like one long damp spell these days, and often difficult to tell the time of year.

The seasons seem to be all over the place – the unusual tropical warmth in February, the unseasonably cool and wet first half of June and the warm but cloudy and wet summer. We had a few days in June with maximums of 11°C and raining all day, yet in February had a few days that were mid teens and sunny. The average maximum temperature for the 2nd half of February 2019 here was 12°C, yet the first half of June 2019 was only 15°C. Just a 3 degree temperature difference between late winter and early summer, and of course bear in mind that February was mostly sunny and dry whereas June was mostly cloudy and wet.  Of course what happened in 2019 was very unusual, but just goes to show how to seasons have changed. 

UK weather is just so depressing, uninspiring and frustrating - we rarely get snow, and not much frost - yet we have to put up with with cold, gloomy, miserable damp weather for months on end.  Spring and summer is nicer -  but even then we get many miserable days.  We also get the occasional hot spell in summer of course, but as we are not used to it and don’t have much air-conditioning in this country, we complain it’s too hot.

Of course we still get years like 2018, which was much more seasonal, with a cold start to the year, the infamous beast from the east, coldest March day on record followed by some very warm days in April and then an incredibly warm, dry and sunny period (by UK standards) from May to July 2018. 

Before that, we had 2013, which was also a very seasonal year, with the cold winter and severely cold and snowy March followed by a hot July and a nice August.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

As anticipated a thoroughly miserable day, rain to greet the morning, moderate, then lighter, then heavier throughout the afternoon, and continuing through the evening. Dark by half 4.. non-one about.. we should want other mammals do and hibernate in January.. it really is a depressing month in the main. As others have said, the combination of limited sunshine, and low light levels is the reason why. Blame the westerly/south westerly airstream, never good for the NW, even in summer, and unfortunately is our most common airstream from about July until February. The best time of year is March- June, when the atlantic traditionally slows down, and the chance of an airstream between NW and SE increases markedly.

It can deliver bright sunny dry days - both mild and cold, but is more likely to bring grey, gloom, cloud and rain. Statistically mind, December is worse for sunshine levels, and on a par for rain.. but christmas seems to make it feel not quite so bad.

Looking forward to some sunshine tomorrow. 

Those bemoaning the UK climate, one positive is oUr northern lattitude, the light levels in May - July are a huge bonus and we can on occasion get what I believe some of the best weather conditions that anywhere can be experience - high pressure overhead, low humidity levels.. mid 20 maxima - ideal.

Posted

As anticipated a thoroughly miserable day, rain to greet the morning, moderate, then lighter, then heavier throughout the afternoon, and continuing through the evening. Dark by half 4.. non-one about.. we should want other mammals do and hibernate in January.. it really is a depressing month in the main. As others have said, the combination of limited sunshine, and low light levels is the reason why. Blame the westerly/south westerly airstream, never good for the NW, even in summer, and unfortunately is our most common airstream from about July until February. The best time of year is March- June, when the atlantic traditionally slows down, and the chance of an airstream between NW and SE increases markedly.

It can deliver bright sunny dry days - both mild and cold, but is more likely to bring grey, gloom, cloud and rain. Statistically mind, December is worse for sunshine levels, and on a par for rain.. but christmas seems to make it feel not quite so bad.

Those bemoaning the UK climate, one positive is oUr northern lattitude, the light levels in May - July are a huge bonus and we can on occasion get what I believe some of the best weather conditions that anywhere can be experience - high pressure overhead, low humidity levels.. mid 20 maxima - ideal.

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Sine i joined the forum i have never seen it so quiet during the winter months !! Cant stand this dull gloomy weather ☁️

• Like 3

Posted
On 11/01/2020 at 17:42, East Lancs Rain said:

UK weather is just so depressing, uninspiring and frustrating - we rarely get snow, and not much frost - yet we have to put up with with cold, gloomy, miserable damp weather for months on end.

The problem, I find, with the weather in this country is summer can be cloudy, damp and miserable so you end up thinking ‘I’m looking forward to winter, this is crap’. Then you get to mid January and winter has been cloudy, damp and miserable so you end up thinking ‘I’m looking forward to summer, this is crap’. And you get stuck on this pointless merry go round.

I’d agree that the notable thing over the last few years has been the almost total absence of winter sunshine. The one genuine cold spell of the last few years was even a cloudy affair. A week or so of sun and frost is just a pipe dream right now. I watch a lot of cycling and skiing. Both are generally carried out in Europe in beautiful weather while I’m sat on the sofa looking out at grey and damp wondering why I’m not there. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

No winter this time 

None! Maybe it'll be a back loaded Winter, Feb & March to be brutal.... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Miamay said:

Sine i joined the forum i have never seen it so quiet during the winter months !! Cant stand this dull gloomy weather ☁️

I know crap, going the match on Sat was so dark all cars had their lights on by 2pm. Good result though COYB!  

• Like 1