Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

54 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I doubt it’s a long term pattern change but maybe the British climate Is turning into something similar to that of most of the planet where seasons aren’t just a case of hot and cold but with major fluctuations between wet and dry.

I don’t know whether I’d fancy a Caribbean climate with heavy showers almost every day between June and September then pretty much dry for the rest of the year but a Southern European one of hot and dry summers followed by plenty of winter rain has its advantages.

I worked for a year in California's Central valley in the early 00's and I didn't find their Mediterranean climate all that interesting. Summer temps consistently mid to high 30s, the odd rare day low 40s. And sunny every day. Not even a thunderstorm all Summer. The dry heat kept a lid on any instability.

Winter was practically non existent. Although there was the odd bout of low pressure, wind & rain off the Pacific. Snow on the mountains but not at ground level. Overall it's very similar to interior Spain with not a drop of rain from the start of June to October. Everything goes yellow & dusty. Not a blade of green grass to be seen unless a sprinkler is frequently used. Which was the case in our apartment complex. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
59 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

No rain here and the brook is down to a trickle.

Mossy Lee a mile past Old Glossop 

20200529_143240.jpg

Streams around here are the same to the point where some have now completely dried up.

Some of the damage to local river banks caused by Storm Ciara is still visible but looking at the amount of water going down them now, it’s difficult to imagine just how much rain is needed to cause that destruction.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Costa del Fylde, currently England's Hot Spot with Blackpool topping the chart with 26.1 c. Great to see the NW getting some nice weather.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
33 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Costa del Fylde, currently England's Hot Spot with Blackpool topping the chart with 26.1 c. Great to see the NW getting some nice weather.

C

According to last nights news it is is also pretty much the nations hot spot as regards Coronavirus cases so let’s just hope that the hot, sunny conditions don’t attract crowds to the beaches and promenade.

• Like 2

Posted

These are the ideal synoptics for making NW the hotspot, an easterly feed, under high pressure, always do well. Reminds me of synoptics end June 2018 when hit 30 degrees, NW and parts of Scotland hotspots. Always most likely to have these synoptics at this time of year. Tomorrow will be very similar perhaps not the hit spot region, a gradual slight cooling Sunday onwards. I'm waiting for the return of the westerly to spoil the party, very strong similarities with 2018, things broke end July then, 3 months of good weather, we've had 2 and half so far, perhaps squeeze another month at very best.. just in time for when hosepipe announced and restrictions on freedoms lifted, you watch!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
23 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Again, Blackpool moves to top hot spot at 25c today. Yesterday, Morecambe Bay was recorded as sunniest spot with just over 15 hours of unbroken sunshine. Whats going on  ? Time for you lot to gloat !

C

• Like 3

Posted

22° according to my garden thermometer.  For those of us who like these conditions, we are really being spoilt for spring. The first day of meteorological summer is upon us but already I'm noticing more cracked, parched ground.  My mums lawn is beginning to turn yellow and one of her dhalias has snuffed it. Clear blue sky earlier, fair weather cloud now bubbling up.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

22° according to my garden thermometer.  For those of us who like these conditions, we are really being spoilt for spring. The first day of meteorological summer is upon us but already I'm noticing more cracked, parched ground.  My mums lawn is beginning to turn yellow and one of her dhalias has snuffed it. Clear blue sky earlier, fair weather cloud now bubbling up.

Yeah we reached 22c today, down from 25c yesterday and 24c on Thursday but still not bad for May.

just a shame about the breeze which’ as well as taking the edge of the feel of the heat has been blowing a lot of dust about.

anyway a couple more days of dry, sunny and warm weather before signs of a breakdown in the middle of next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Yeah we reached 22c today, down from 25c yesterday and 24c on Thursday but still not bad for May.

just a shame about the breeze which’ as well as taking the edge of the feel of the heat has been blowing a lot of dust about.

anyway a couple more days of dry, sunny and warm weather before signs of a breakdown in the middle of next week.

The breakdown looks very brief Wednesday looks like the day that the gardens will receive some welcome rain however temperatures of 17c wont feel cold,Thursday looking like a decent day with sunny intervals,and then friday looks settled with unbroken Sunshine and temperatures starting to nudge up again then its into FI but high pressure looks like dominating once again

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

The breakdown looks very brief Wednesday looks like the day that the gardens will receive some welcome rain however temperatures of 17c wont feel cold,Thursday looking like a decent day with sunny intervals,and then friday looks settled with unbroken Sunshine and temperatures starting to nudge up again then its into FI but high pressure looks like dominating once again

C.S

I can stand a brief breakdown and as you said, the gardens really need some rain.

just hope your right with the swift return to dry and sunny although a suppose some wet weather would keep more people at home which can only be better in fighting the virus.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

At this rate desalination plants might have to be built to filter that good old Irish sea into drinking water joking of course. Just you watch as soon as restrictions on water usage come into play it'll rain for months.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Vegetation looking tired in places already, especially those with shallow roots such as grass.

Took months and months for the grass to sort itself out after 2018 and now it finds itself in distress once again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I was saying identical words to the wife, her hair is turning silver.

• Like 2

Posted

Lancashire coast, UK hot spot again ! 26 c at Liverpool and Blackpool.

C

• Like 2

Posted

25c today lovely... nice week minus the actual wind which has been up-to 45 mph gusts... 22-26c most of this week... having been in isolation for over 3 months gardening... has been a nice release and the sunny weather has been a God send for getting out digging and landscaping... hope all are well and safe... ☀️☀️☀️

• Like 2

Posted

Another wonderful day in late May, maxed out at 24 degrees again, 3 days on the trot, and the highest max so far this year. 

Tomorrow looks a carbon copy again, turning a bit cloudier and cooler on Tuesday but still very decent, the change then comes on Wednesday, a significant drop in temps expected and the first bout of rain for over 10 days. 

River levels remain very low, lots of local streams have completely dried up. Think we've had about a sixth of our average rainfall over past 2 months. The contrast to the previous 12 months being very marked. 

Grass starting to turn brown in patches, it doesn't take long mind for grass to do this, a week or so of high temps and no dry can produce brown lawns. It recovers very quickly as well.

I'm just hoping we don't see a return of the dreadful fires on our heath and moorlands that happened in 2018.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted

There's been a few fires in the Peaks the past few days albeit small ones (for now) locally 2 around Buxton, one in Buxworth aswell as Hathersage, Win Hill, and Bamford Edge. Having all the crowds flocking out to Kinder Scout i'm surprised there hasn't been any fires around the moorland there but I know there's Park Rangers in strategic positions on the lookout 4x daily-rotation aswell as on-foot to catch anyone trying to be a pyromaniac.

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Smell of smoke in the air. That type that smells like peat burning. Also a touch of smoke in the atmosphere.

Apparently there were a few outdoor blazes at the weekend, fire crews were called to Bacup, Winter Hill, Anglezarke reservoir nr. Chorley and Darwen Moor.  Info courtesy of BBC.

• Like 2

Posted

Temperature briefly reached 26c before dropping back slightly which according to my unofficial sensor makes it the warmest day of the year so far here.

• Like 2

Posted

Well that was an awesome Spring despite the majority of it spent in Lock down, those that did manage to get outside to exercise or enjoy their gardens have been truly blessed.  Now we roll into (meteorological) summer and changes are afoot..starting tomorrow.  Higher chance of rain, stronger winds and from a cooler northerly source.  It's going to feel a lot different from what the past few weeks have.  Maybe a bit of green will come back to replace the grassy sandy browns currently wilting under the endless sun.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 27/05/2020 at 20:58, damianslaw said:

Once again we have flipped for extreme wet to extreme dry, this has happened quite a few times though to perhaps not quite the same degree dry to wet and wet to dry, but still notable. A flip happened March 95, after a very wet period culminating in a very wet winter, we then had a very dry period, notably so in the summer, the extended dry spell lasting until Spring 97, then a flip back to very wet...

A lesser extreme flip happened in Spring 05, not long after the very wet January, a change to more blocked dry conditions lasting through until Autumn 06, then a lengthy wet period again.. becoming brokered in the winter of 08/09 a bit, but then followed a very wet November. A flip then occurred to a dry period culminating in the very dry Spring 11, thereafter a generally wet spell ensued, with a blip in March 12 which was very dry, a very wet 5 month period thereafter..

Even the very wet autumn and exceptional rains of Dec 15, were followed by a drier second half to winter with quite a bit of high pressure.

We seem to get stuck in long sustained patterns thanks to a buckled jetstream. No coincidence this is happening at a time of solar minima, just like the 95-97 period, and the 07-10 period. Periods of abnormal dry and wet.

Not to mention the hot summer of 2018 followed by a mild and dry winter then a flip in March 2019 to very wet conditions before a dry April and May before a very wet June and a wet summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Tomorrow's rain can't come soon enough having just popped up on the hill behind me to see the Dovestone/Saddleworth Moor fire, even looking at it from almost 14 miles away there's a substantial smoke-plume from the fire.

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

Residents who live in Monsall and Ashton-under-Lyne can see the smoke over the moorland

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Tomorrow's rain can't come soon enough having just popped up on the hill behind me to see the Dovestone/Saddleworth Moor fire, even looking at it from almost 14 miles away there's a substantial smoke-plume from the fire.

spacer.png
WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

Residents who live in Monsall and Ashton-under-Lyne can see the smoke over the moorland

Can smell it from here.... thought the clouds had a strange tint.... really do need to ban disposable bbqs... feel for the firemen so many (luckily) small fires lately the last few weeks... hoping the rain comes to help them...

• Like 4