Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Anyone who hates the heat should just move to St Bees in Cumbria. 25° forecast for tomorrow here, but just 17° for St Bees. 

Located on a peninsula, it just never really gets hot, as the Irish Sea has a big moderating effect on the temperatures. It barely ever gets above 20°, and is usually just cool, damp and windy most of the time. A paradise for heat haters/cool weather lovers but a misery for heat lovers (and perhaps cold lovers too, as it doesn't get much snow but will probably feel cold in the winter from wind chill). Their average summer high is only 17°, cooler than Tynemouth on the north east coast (18°). Not great.

image.png

image.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Woke up to some dampness this morning but not enough to really quench the thirst of plants and grass. Could do with some meaningful rain now. Not a daily washout but some every week.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Further useful rain overnight and first thing this morning, then a mainly dull overcast day, some chinks of blue sky at times, but the cloud just hasn't shifted - a dark cloud lingering. Could have done with a bit more breeze to shift it aside. It has turned increasingly humid as the day has worn on, and now feels preety muggy.

Tomorrow will be very different to the past three days.

Plants, flowers and trees have responded markedly to the recent rains, everything lush and growing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

23.7c so far hopefully reach the 25c that METO have forecast 

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

26.5 with a nice breeze here.

A Facebook memory came up to tell me it was 25C this day 10 years ago exactly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

26.9c at Man Airport 

Kev What is the May record for this location 

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

26.9c at Man Airport 

Kev What is the May record for this location 

C.S

Hi C.S.   where did you find this temp reading?  Is there another source of reliable info other than the METAR TAF. Thanks for your help.

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

GFSOPUK00_348_18.png

Away from Cumbria, it looks very dry into June, at least according to GFS 0z

Feel sorry for those poor folks in the north and west of Scotland and outer hebrides. They often miss out on the sun and warmth when the rest of the country is bathed in sunshine. Looks like it's remaining pretty unsettled for them - quite common with this sort of pattern with the azores high ridging in but the jetstream and weather fronts get stuck over the far north and west.

Though I guess their used to it up there and of course no one lives in north west Scotland for the weather! (unless they like wind and rain of course).

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day, wall to wall sunshine, high of 25/26C, low humidity, a nice refreshing breeze. Doesn't get any better than that.

Currently sat out in the garden, working on the laptop, with the hot sun scorching my arms and legs. Wonderful. Every cloud has it's silver lining as they say.

• Like 1

Posted

Struggling a bit with the temperature on the west coast of Cumbria ie St Bees today.

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

St. Bees Head 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

Cloud turned to sunshine by mid-morning which was good and temperatures got a boost when the wind changed from westerly to southerly at 2 pm. However, the wind has now switched back to the SW which means it'll be coming off the cold Irish Sea instead of the land. So it's now just 16c as of 4 pm. Wind direction is critical when you live on the coast and I imagine it must be quite frustrating living there (for both warmth in summer and snow in winter).

Still, the winds have been light so 16c in the strong May sun will still feel pleasant I suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A link below to reservoir levels in our region which are below normal. Of course if the Summer continues this dry trend we might see kind of restrictions like a hose pipe ban very soon. Then watch the heavens open.

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Details about the levels of water in our main reservoirs - updated weekly

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

A major change from past three days gloomy foolish weather. Max temp at noon yesterday 13 degrees, today 22 degrees. Max overall 24 degrees by 4pm. Easily warmest day of year so far, felt more like peak summer. Late may sun every bit as strong as high summer. Conditions overall just right side of bearable for me. I'm not a sun heat lover, like to be able to do exercise still in the summer. A day of blue skies 24 degrees is just as good as one 30 degrees indeed far better in my opinion. 25 degrees is the border threshold for when be omes less comfortable, mind a day in low 20s with high humidity can get every bit as uncomfortable as one in the high 20s low humidity. Perfect weather about 24 degrees low humidity, today preety perfect.

• Like 3

Posted

To see the radar earlier it looked like we had some brief but decent rainfall, but it has barely dampened the ground.

Screenshot_20200521-081735.thumb.png.0201196074882312bd9740d4764e995b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well, I did not expect strong winds like this today. Come downstairs to my greenhouse blown over and the garden trashed. Really unseasonably strong. Hope it doesn’t last too long. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Backtrack said:

Well, I did not expect strong winds like this today. Come downstairs to my greenhouse blown over and the garden trashed. Really unseasonably strong. Hope it doesn’t last too long. 

Yes a tempestuous wind more akin to what we get in the depths of winter, not late may, generally normally least windy time of year. Not liking it one bit!

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes a tempestuous wind more akin to what we get in the depths of winter, not late may, generally normally least windy time of year. Not liking it one bit!

Yes, a beautiful sunny afternoon with blue skies but a really strong gusty wind here in South Cheshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

What’s even stranger is that last nights precipitation looked juicy on the radar but produced nothing but a little bit of drizzle to the ground. Everywhere still bone dry, you’d think with an ex-tropical storm blitzing through, we would get some rain with it. Not like I’m complaining. Next week looks better. Sunshine and warmth 

Posted
On 20/05/2020 at 23:29, damianslaw said:

A major change from past three days gloomy foolish weather. Max temp at noon yesterday 13 degrees, today 22 degrees. Max overall 24 degrees by 4pm. Easily warmest day of year so far, felt more like peak summer. Late may sun every bit as strong as high summer. Conditions overall just right side of bearable for me. I'm not a sun heat lover, like to be able to do exercise still in the summer. A day of blue skies 24 degrees is just as good as one 30 degrees indeed far better in my opinion. 25 degrees is the border threshold for when be omes less comfortable, mind a day in low 20s with high humidity can get every bit as uncomfortable as one in the high 20s low humidity. Perfect weather about 24 degrees low humidity, today preety perfect.

Or even 20 degrees for that matter. The sun is so strong between early May to mid August it still feels pleasantly warm. Wednesday was nice but a bit on the warm side walking into town. Thursday was a bit cooler but still very sunny through the afternoon and just right for me temperature-wise.

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Love a good blow at any time of year. ?️ It's been a mixture of sunny intervals and clouds all day with a strong westerly wind. Quite refreshing to walk out in and it's still fairly mild as of 6 pm.

Kind of reminds me a bit of last winter. The main difference though is that it's about 10 degrees warmer and a lot sunnier, and it's actually dry!

Posted
1 hour ago, Backtrack said:

What’s even stranger is that last nights precipitation looked juicy on the radar but produced nothing but a little bit of drizzle to the ground. Everywhere still bone dry, you’d think with an ex-tropical storm blitzing through, we would get some rain with it. Not like I’m complaining. Next week looks better. Sunshine and warmth 

I'm sure I heard a bit of rain last night, maybe Wednesday night actually.

Posted
6 hours ago, Backtrack said:

I think the winds were a bit stronger than forecast. The bbc weather app yesterday was forecasting "sunny intervals and a fresh breeze" for my location yesterday which means average wind speeds of around 20  mph, but I'd say we've probably had gusts of 40, maybe even 50 mph. Nothing strong enough to push the wheelie bins over though, unlike Dennis and Caria.

St Bees Head has recorded gusts of 53 mph this afternoon, with maximum sustained wind speeds of 36 mph (and a daytime high of only 13c). Pretty unusual for late May.

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

St. Bees Head 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

BBC Weather app forecasting gusts of 40 mph for my location tomorrow, 50 mph for St Bees.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for St Bees.