Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

High ground event only according to the Meto text forecast

Would suspect 200m for the snow line not to say it won't fall to lower levels but certainly  won't be staying awake to find out.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
9 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

High ground event only according to the Meto text forecast

Would suspect 200m for the snow line not to say it won't fall to lower levels but certainly  won't be staying awake to find out.

C.S

The warning indicates accumulations at elevations greater than 100m or more. If I climb to the top of my chimney and stand on tip toes, I might just make it to the snowline!

• Like 4

Posted

Hills are snowy just a shame it's over 300m

2020-02-26-16-34-49-105.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Really don’t know whether the overnight wintry mix will even reach as far north as here and I’m in the far south east of the region. Those of us South of Manchester may see something sleet/snow wise but really won’t be surprised if it’s a non event. Midlands high ground looks best placed to see some transient sleet/snow but we shall see I suppose! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The useless EURO4 has a covering to pretty much all areas of NW England come tomorrow morning. 

the ICON is similar, but misses out Merseyside and Lancashire and is a carbon copy of the Met warning..

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Really don’t know whether the overnight wintry mix will even reach as far north as here and I’m in the far south east of the region. Those of us South of Manchester may see something sleet/snow wise but really won’t be surprised if it’s a non event. Midlands high ground looks best placed to see some transient sleet/snow but we shall see I suppose! 

Matt Hugo says the preciptation threat for our region has nothing to do with the low

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Matt Hugo says the preciptation threat for our region has nothing to do with the low

Hopefully in with a chance of something then - maybe something similar to the late January event last year where heavy early morning snow showers gave a brief 2-3cm covering here that was gone by lunchtime. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 24 February 2020 at 20:50, damianslaw said:

Rapid thaw through morning here, saturated air put quick pay to the decent 2 inch snow cover we had. The snowline lifted to about 400 metres. 

Tomorrow evening could deliver a few snowy surprises to relatively low levels I feel, one difference with this upcoming polar maritime flow will be less of a strong wind - so showers will be longer lasting, and better chance of trough formation as well, enabling showers to band together.

Yep, I woke up to a bit of snow on Monday morning too, and more snow on Tuesday morning. Both times it quickly melted though. This morning snow was restricted to high ground. At the moment still some snow on top of Pendle hill.

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't even think we'd be in for any chance of snow overnight because I was correlating it with the low that was placed to the south...but nice surprise to learn this is sparking up a cluster of showers ahead of the front and just at the right time, when temps will be at their lowest and the ground will dry out a bit after the hail/sleet/wet snow we've had past two days.   Let's not think about the rain set to pay us a weekend visit again for the 3rd weekend running.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

A18C79EA-1036-48A6-ABE8-884A9D8057D9.thumb.png.e1d1a025db0ef753a166998672bcce79.png

i think this highlights what Matt Hugo was saying. The low is too far south for most of our region but it helps drag in a north westerly element.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Tomorrow obviously the further away from the coast & how high up you are will determine snow amounts.

I reckon 70m upwards should be enough. So pretty much the entire eastern part of the region should see at least a covering on surfaces by morning. Looks a better prospect compared to last night/today. A dusting like last night doesn't cut the mustard for me.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Irish sea kicking into life now.

• Like 1

Posted

Not holding up much hope but will see in the morning.... showers etc.... maybe some surprises but nothing that heavy.... third time lucky maybe.... 1c

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

ITV national weather was mentioning the possibility of 7 hours of snowfall for the "NorthWest region" into tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Feels raw out 

Horrible day’s weather although I can’t remember the last day where the weather wasn’t awful.

one positive is that at least light nights are coming.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

WRF 12Z has downgraded tonight. Think it's an non-event now for below 200 m. Can only be saved if we get some heavy precip Wind is light off-shore for most of the night although winds aloft are from the nw so if the low can interact with the vorticity as Matt Hugo says then maybe we can get some long periods of precip. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

The only saving grace might be intense showers that aren’t picked up on the models....other than that expect nothing but might get a surprise tomorrow 

Posted
16 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

ITV national weather was mentioning the possibility of 7 hours of snowfall for the "NorthWest region" into tomorrow morning.

you reckon

Posted
15 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Horrible day’s weather although I can’t remember the last day where the weather wasn’t awful.

one positive is that at least light nights are coming.

True iand61