Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Hello

Chester zoo tomorrow with the bin lids any ideas on weather expectations tomorrow please? Looking at BBC showing rain early doors!!

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy sleet shower for roughly 15 minutes 6c down to 3c.... cool day jetwashing patio and Indian stone tiles around house... now feels like spring is on the way after this job is done...

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, fazzafarrand said:

Hello

Chester zoo tomorrow with the bin lids any ideas on weather expectations tomorrow please? Looking at BBC showing rain early doors!!

Meant to say ask any thoughts on the rain timing tomorrow?

Posted

Heavy hail shower left a covering, but nothing you couldn't get in the middle of July/August with a thundery downpour.... not even looking at the model thread now for any cold weather...I'm in Spring hunting mode now.  Winter 2019/20 definitely a candidate for Room 101.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just gone the back way to Glossop and its snowing at 250 m

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Heavyish sleet/Graupel then snowflakes

Same here. Atleast we are flying the flag for winter unlike most.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Same here. Atleast we are flying the flag for winter unlike most.

Have seen snow falling here 5 times this winter now....I’ve seen nothing lay though, as I was in Somerset the other week visiting family....

Posted
9 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Have seen snow falling here 5 times this winter now....I’ve seen nothing lay though, as I was in Somerset the other week visiting family....

Hope they are ok, I watched Points West on Sky and it wasn't a pretty sight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A couple of showers of heavy sleet that has left some slush on the cars.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Hope they are ok, I watched Points West on Sky and it wasn't a pretty sight.

My sister thought she’d totalled her car in floodwater near my mums village on Saturday but her garage managed to fix it and drain the engine etc.... thankfully it’s not that bad where they are...  a lot of the back roads are flooded down there... even when we were there we went through a knee deep flooded road but in a 4x4....feel really sad/bad for people flooded and evacuating 

Posted

Quite a few beefy showers popping up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The cold front tomorrow needs watching for possible snow on the back edge. Looks like just Manchester N and E unfortunately though as the wind will be too strong for anything further west in my opinion. Best case anywhere East of M6. There will be a marked temp drop everywhere  though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

i've just noticed that the SST at Crosby is now 5.7°C. It was 9.3°C last week. How can it have dropped so far so quickly. Wondering if it was/is an error, I'm not sure. If it is correct then it won't take as much for snow now In next weeks PM shots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I doubt it has dropped that quickly but at this time of year I'd expect it to be about 5.7C rather than 9.3C but who knows? The SSTs have been way above average but I would have thought it would take  big cold spell to bring temperatures down that fast. 

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I just checked it out and NOAA SST maps are showing Liverpool Bay about 6C so it would make sense. SSTs have indeed dropped markedly since mid winter. My only theory would be all these storms with their associated rainfall have served to cool down the Atlantic quickly, in the same way as when you put a hose on inside a green house on a hot summers day

• Like 1