Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Just waxing and waning of the pressure gradient I think. It's going to be alternate between very windy and gales for the next 48 hours looking at the isobars on the charts.

• Like 2

Posted

If we are going to get any, when is the snow due to arrive please?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, whitewitch said:

If we are going to get any, when is the snow due to arrive please?

Weather on now

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

Just waxing and waning of the pressure gradient I think. It's going to be alternate between very windy and gales for the next 48 hours looking at the isobars on the charts.

Yep, winds I feel will pick up quite a bit tomorrow night as the isobars get closer together again whilst the winds during Tuesday should be slightly less strong(although the suns energy could help to maintain quite gusty winds near the coast especially and during any showers). 

Still think there's a good chance of alot of places seeing at least snow falling if albeit not settling, midnight tomorrow night into Tuesday daytime looks the best bet for this. Depends how much PPN there is mind, be typical if there is not much around when the air does get colder. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Manchester Airport forecast now showing possibility of snow from 15:00 onwards today. However, metoffice text forecast for the region not mentioning any snow risk away from higher ground today and tonight. 

Metoffice forecast for Peak District indicates snow risk to all levels later today/tonight, albeit no settling snow below 300m (in daytime at least). This is at complete odds to the regional forecast. I've seen these discrepancies in the past. Are these forecasts not checked before release for consistency!?

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

NW Radar

An abundance of Pink this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards-Winter-Storms-Raging Seas-Thunderstorms

Good morning from a wild and windy Blackpool.

Well what will today bring after yesterday.

I see on the weather radar showers have turned wintry.Hail,Sleet,Snow and perhaps a few lightning strikes although they seem to be over Ireland at the moment.Ooops not quite correct i see Scotland seems to be joining in the lightning show now.

A really high tide here just before midday over 9 metres with possibly some giant waves.

The stage is set perhaps for some more surprises.

Edited by Blowingsand
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Think the next 48 hours will be a nowcast...

300M and above should see settling snow , the rest of us its in the lap of the weather Gods.

The met saying above 150m is telling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Very bitter out here in the wind. We may stand a chance of seekng some falling snow tonight and tomorrow here, but I'm not really expecting anything in this part of the region. Those East and North of Manchester could do quite well later, especially at elevation. Used to love these types of weather setups when I lived in those parts.

• Like 1

Posted

Cumbrian tops looking good.

Untitled.thumb.png.e3c392c9e15f473fbc147018a957c836.png

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Blowingsand said:

Good morning from a wild and windy Blackpool.

Well what will today bring after yesterday.

I see on the weather radar showers have turned wintry.Hail,Sleet,Snow and perhaps a few lightning strikes although they seem to be over Ireland at the moment.Ooops not quite correct i see Scotland seems to be joining in the lightning show now.

A really high tide here just before midday over 9 metres with possibly some giant waves.

The stage is set perhaps for some more surprises.

Welcome from Salwick and the barren Tundra of the Fylde

Yes the high tide has potential to push the floodwater back up the Ribble.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Ramp said:

The met saying above 150m is telling.

lol

Your at 162 :oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

7A72D1BC-6CAE-43BC-98D8-08594CEDB1A7.thumb.png.f9a24a0e735dbbc3afaca79495bdfd1f.png trough coming into south of region 

Posted
13 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Surely it can't be as bad as the Boxing Day floods in December 2015 though?

Just a waterlogged flowerbed and a puddle in the back garden here. Though I don't live in a flood-prone area.

https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2020/02/roads-closed-fields-flooded-and-a-cancelled-concert-storm-ciara-takes-its-toll-on-preston/

For sustained river levels yes 2015 was worse, but the speed and severity of the rise in the river level this was much worse. 

I've not seen the road down to samelsbury closed before by the police due to flooding, let alone both slip roads onto and off the M6 at jn31. 

I think it was more the speed which the river rose that caught alot of people out ..... there was water in places i've never seen water before.  Now that could have alot to do with all the new houses being built as well and a lack of proper drainage but thats another story entirely. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A beautiful start to the day here in South Cheshire Clouded over unfortunately in the last 10 mins cool in the Gusty wind but nothing to bad and with a current temperature of 8c I think all bets are of at seeing any white stuff today 

C.S

Posted
19 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2020/02/roads-closed-fields-flooded-and-a-cancelled-concert-storm-ciara-takes-its-toll-on-preston/

For sustained river levels yes 2015 was worse, but the speed and severity of the rise in the river level this was much worse. 

I've not seen the road down to samelsbury closed before by the police due to flooding, let alone both slip roads onto and off the M6 at jn31. 

I think it was more the speed which the river rose that caught alot of people out ..... there was water in places i've never seen water before.  Now that could have alot to do with all the new houses being built as well and a lack of proper drainage but thats another story entirely. 

A major factor - you only need to see the floods arond Lea -  Salwick  - Hoyles Lane -  Bartle

They are pumping water off the fields even when it's dry because of the lack of drainage soil area

In my time of living round here  I havent seen the like of the amount of water there is now.

Ridiculous -  and it's all down to the obscene amount of housing development (they dont even provide decent footpaths)

Then again x amount of council tax per house x15000 houses?

A money spinner indeed - and wait till the new junction is finished.....

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

A beautiful start to the day here in South Cheshire Clouded over unfortunately in the last 10 mins cool in the Gusty wind but nothing to bad and with a current temperature of 8c I think all bets are of at seeing any white stuff today 

C.S

Unlikely to stay at 8C in any showers though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
28 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

I Agree

However to see snow this winter on low ground will be a miracle in itself to see snow stick and last for more than 10 minutes will be another miracle.Only outside possibility is overnight and that looks a slim chance.dont get me wrong I hope everyone can see some of the white stuff but from past experience for members less than 200m altitude our chances this winter are rapidly disappearing.

C.S

Why I have quoted myself I have no idea reply was to @Alexis

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 1